EMD Can we get a freakin' TECHNO thread or what?

oh man, I can't believe I didn't start this thread ages ago.

I may have to retract my statement about swedish techno being my favourite too! there's been some INSANE shit coming out of Naples, Italy in the last little while. Check out:

Joseph Capriati
Markantonio
Piatto
Dandi and Ugo
Flavio Diaz
Simone Tavazzi

man, i could go on and on about these italian stallions.

i <3 falk, actually. :) i have quite a bit of his stuff, but i wasn't really impressed with his tracks on pirate audio. hertz, i've always been a fan of.

check you PMs. :)

lately i've been getting more into detroit electro, along with harder techno. i should check out beatport again soon.

yeah, detroit's never really done anything for me in terms of techno. demf is loads of fun though.

it's really falk circa 2006 that really does it for me.

I was on a HUGE minimal tip for the last little while, but there's just so much crap out there that I can't be bothered to sift through it all to find that one gem in 100. really getting back into the harder shit, but I never have the chance to actually play it out.

check chris liberator and sterling moss - move along for a big dirty bomb . liberator's still got it!

i'm surprised you're recommending liberator with your dislike of acid, honestly. he's been a big contributor of uk acid for quite some time. :)

as far as maetrik, which you mentioned in PM, he's hit or miss for me. i never really got down with that uber minimal m_nus sound, and some of his tracks are a lot like that. if it's minimal, i like the gritty/funky kind that has some soul to it.

there are two maetrik tracks in the set you sent me! I can't dig the uber minimal either though. never could. magda is pretty much the epitome of that sound to me. most of minus doesn't do it for me in terms of production, with the exception of gaiser, who I really like. He's got a couple neat tunes on his new album, and a few goodies on the last one too. Neural Block is his best album by far though (although the title track kinda sucks). libertator I enjoy more as a dj than as a producer (although he's got a few for sure). seen him soooo many times and he's always been sick, never playing much acid.

none of that is techno dude. I mean TECHNO techno. not 'electronic music.' the specific genre: T-E-C-H-N-O. techno. t with an echno.

e.g.

Hard techno:

Me spinning at some sketchy afterhours

Techno (ok, with some breaks at the end):

Me at Opulent Temple, Burning Man '08

We're talking Adam Beyer, Chris Liberator, Richie Hawtin etc.

Well, if you're talking Richie Hawtin, that's minimal, and actually, Phil Western has some similar stuff to that. Check out his album 1221.

im liking that mix @ the loft u posted toa$t.

i mainly like the minimal stuff, especially when trippin. of course hawtin and his plastikman tracks. i dunno if u saw but there is a dvd magazine documentary on richie that is well done, i watch it from time to time.

anywho lately been bumpin alot of stuff from bpitch control label. its more "experimental" hard to classify, but there is def some minimal releases on there from ellen allien and sascha funke

and yea, gaiser is sick. i love his sound, it makes me think of trippin underwater on some acid in a submarine looking at a sonar screen. his track "waterfalls" is so goood.

oh last, scsi-9 again not sure what to classify this as.

i'm such a bitch about techno. i really can't get into any of the hard stuff at all, and honestly i find the vast majority of techno way too 'mechanical' sounding. i'm pretty sure this is precisely what draws fans to it though - all that coldness and whipping and banging around ;)

incidentally i have the same feelings about drum and bass. i love its soulful side, but what is arguably the core of the genre - the aggressive stuff - kind of gives me a headache.

i do play and enjoy a fair amount of music that falls under the general techno umbrella, but it doesn't seem like my preferred tracks are what people mean when they have conversations about techno. i'm drawn to techno's warmer moods... if it's deep, melodic, progressive, etc. then i'm all for it.

mind you i'm not necessarily talking about a bunch of ethereal sounds either. i still love a good beat. i just find that a lot of techno is very heavy on the percussion (great) but sorely lacking in a lot of other areas. there's a lot of cool rhythm, but not much actual song if that makes any sense. it's almost too electronic.

ugh, i'm not wording this well at all. perhaps a mix would clarify my stance a bit. here is a tracklist for something i recorded at the beginning of this past summer:

Dr. James E. Walton - Meditation to Improve Focus and Concentration
Pierce & Jerl - Bouquet
Angel Freq - Nothing At All (Jamie Stevens Pacific Dub)
Autumn Tree - Kubi
B Noise - Endless Summer (NTFO Refact Mix)
Robert Babicz - Don't Look Back
Bart Skils & Anton Pieete - Handsome
Cave - Hartbreak
Quivver - Surin (Tobias Lutzenkirchen Remix)
Lutzenkirchen - Corroder
Mastercris - Wake Me in the Next Summer

if you're interested you can download it at www.qpod.org. it's under 'Qpod 011 ::: Mo Corleone'. i tried to squeeze everything i wanted to say about non-standard techno in the 50 minutes i was given, so while this mix is hardly fluff none of it is the type of techno that beats you over the head with a spiky club. i find that most techno fans want the spikes - or conversely, want it so minimal that it sounds like someone shuffling around in a silverware drawer - and this is why it's difficult for me to say "yeah, i like techno" to someone and truly feel like we're relating to each other.

incidentally i have the same feelings about drum and bass. i love its soulful side, but what is arguably the core of the genre - the aggressive stuff - kind of gives me a headache.

I can totally agree with you here. While I do like the heavier side of techno, I don't want to listen to it all of the time.

I've never been a fan of aggressive dnb. The aggressive dnb I hear is tear-out, and to me, it seems more of a competition of who can write a track that best resembles keys in a blender. Techno can, on occasion, get like that, too.

mind you i'm not necessarily talking about a bunch of ethereal sounds either. i still love a good beat. i just find that a lot of techno is very heavy on the percussion (great) but sorely lacking in a lot of other areas. there's a lot of cool rhythm, but not much actual song if that makes any sense. it's almost too electronic.

See, I like a lot of rhythm, but that's my personal opinion. Techno has definitely changed its ways over the past 4 years, and to me, a lot of it has become soulless (and even some tracks are pretty cheesy).

I'm a fan of the older style tech-house (late 90s-early 00s) where there was soul, melody, and mesmerizing rhythm.

i mainly like the minimal stuff, especially when trippin. of course hawtin and his plastikman tracks. i dunno if u saw but there is a dvd magazine documentary on richie that is well done, i watch it from time to time.

I thought the DVD was great. I even watched it a few times in the same day. But it really pointed out to me that Hawtin really doesn't care anymore. His tracks have been lackluster over the past few years, and so has his DJing. I've always been a fan of Hawtin (since the mid-late 90s) as he's a staple in the Midwest, but the thought and purpose that he used to put into his tracks (Sheet One, early M_nus, Plus 8, etc.) have gone by the way side.

Last edited:
honestly, I don't like any of hawtin's productions. as a dj he's pretty phenomenal though. I've probably seen him more times than any other dj that I can think of, and he's been amazing every time (apart from the last time I saw him at 1015, which was still ok).

i'm such a bitch about techno. i really can't get into any of the hard stuff at all, and honestly i find the vast majority of techno way too 'mechanical' sounding. i'm pretty sure this is precisely what draws fans to it though - all that coldness and whipping and banging around ;)

i do play and enjoy a fair amount of music that falls under the general techno umbrella, but it doesn't seem like my preferred tracks are what people mean when they have conversations about techno. i'm drawn to techno's warmer moods... if it's deep, melodic, progressive, etc. then i'm all for it.

ugh, i'm not wording this well at all. perhaps a mix would clarify my stance a bit. here is a tracklist for something i recorded at the beginning of this past summer:

Dr. James E. Walton - Meditation to Improve Focus and Concentration
Pierce & Jerl - Bouquet
Angel Freq - Nothing At All (Jamie Stevens Pacific Dub)
Autumn Tree - Kubi
B Noise - Endless Summer (NTFO Refact Mix)
Robert Babicz - Don't Look Back
Bart Skils & Anton Pieete - Handsome
Cave - Hartbreak
Quivver - Surin (Tobias Lutzenkirchen Remix)
Lutzenkirchen - Corroder
Mastercris - Wake Me in the Next Summer

if you're interested you can download it at www.qpod.org. it's under 'Qpod 011 ::: Mo Corleone'. i tried to squeeze everything i wanted to say about non-standard techno in the 50 minutes i was given, so while this mix is hardly fluff none of it is the type of techno that beats you over the head with a spiky club. i find that most techno fans want the spikes - or conversely, want it so minimal that it sounds like someone shuffling around in a silverware drawer - and this is why it's difficult for me to say "yeah, i like techno" to someone and truly feel like we're relating to each other.

@lterego, I am on a completely different page (if not reading a whole different book). i love all the mechanical sounds, and I hate it when some crappy melody or vocal gets in the way. Even with dnb, the only stuff I can get into is the harder techstep stuff. I loathe pretty much anything else -- especially that intelligent dnb stuff. I basically like my music to have balls, no matter the genre, and I'm definitely drawn to the dark side.

and yea, gaiser is sick. i love his sound, it makes me think of trippin underwater on some acid in a submarine looking at a sonar screen.

haha, that's awesome.

god, techno is just the most kickass music. it's just so much more than the sum of its parts. smoking a joint and listening to Adam Beyer at Boxens Festival in Geneva right now. pretty fucking solid so far! love the opening track, Smith and Selway - Total Departure (nihad tule remix)

trying to make up my mind about Headrush Tactics - Good Times (liberator and geezer remix). robot? too over the top? might be good for a laugh...

trying to make up my mind about Headrush Tactics - Good Times (liberator and geezer remix). robot? too over the top? might be good for a laugh...

i haven't heard the remix, but i do own the original. that record is full of win, even if it is cheese (good cheese). :D

25-minute-madness part 5 - techno

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=B39CFA3211

1. matthias schaffhäuser - weissgefühl 2 (forcetracks)
2. adam beyer - stocktown city b1 (rotation records)
3. ellery cowles - thermo grip (djax-up beats)
4. cari lekebusch - stiff nex (spirit fuel)
5. dj esp aka woody mc bride - mind your own business (nsc records)
6. michael burkat - we fight back (temper)
7. boriqua tribez - panico (highland beats)
8. michael burkat - something must break (highland beats)
9. manu le malin - matrix (al ferox rmx.) (bloc 46)