• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

INTP vs. INTJ

^ Simply maturing did it for me (I'm an ENTJ). Leaving high school, getting a job, taking lot of acid ;), and generally just building my social confidence changed me hugely, all in the last year or so. Fantastic :)

elemenohpee said:
and how does one change the E to an I exactly? I want details :)
I tested INTJ this time, but have tested ENTJ many times in the past. I find that I go through stages in each mindset.

elemenohpee said:
and how does one change the E to an I exactly? I want details :)

I think you meant to say how do you change that "I to an E" which is what I did.

It's all about raising your awareness of yourself and your knowledge. Once you understand that it is your perception that makes you feel separate from others, you can take action to change that perception.

The action I took was reading some good books on the subject, taking acid, and smoking lots of cannabis.

Ask yourself the questions until you find the answers that lead you to new change. Reprogramming your brain man! Ala Timothy Leary =D

Well, what if i have a level 5 INTP who's learned the 'rapid fire attack' move. I think it could probably beat a forest dwelling INTJ. However if it was an aquatic INTJ, we may have some problems there.

TacticalBongRip, in my opinion, you are a particular preference, you don't just change it because it's more convenient. Either you're an Introvert who has developed your social skills (in which case, congrats.) Or, you were an Extrovert who was socially anxious (or something of that sort) and you've overcome that (in which case, congrats. :))

What im saying is, Introverts can be very socially adept, and Extroverts can be shy. There is more to the Introverion / Extroversion spilt than simple labels such as "shyness," or "loud".

BollWeevil said:
I tested INTJ this time, but have tested ENTJ many times in the past. I find that I go through stages in each mindset.

That's really funny - I thought I was the only one.

I'm probably on the fence, most people who know me socially would say that I am more extraverted than introverted, but I can be pretty uncomfortable in crowds and definitely prefer smaller groups for the most part.

The NTJ part is dead on, though - and my surroundings at home are in chaos (I don't know what my partner is on this test, but he's a Pisces ;)) at present but yesterday I started having a bit of a flip-out at work and could NOT work until I reorganized all the papers at my desk and then cleaned it. It happens from time to time.

I used to make a lot of lists, but it started to become an annoying habit to me so now I keep kind of a mental queue about what needs to be done, shift it as priorities change... and go about my day.

My job is very conducive to this and I lead a fairly ordered life, though I am not upset about changes to my routine, I just shift the place in the queue for a given priority/task and start again.

Of note is that I completely suck at math, though... there are different methods of linear thinking :)

TacticalBongRip said:
I think you meant to say how do you change that "I to an E" which is what I did.

It's all about raising your awareness of yourself and your knowledge. Once you understand that it is your perception that makes you feel separate from others, you can take action to change that perception.

The action I took was reading some good books on the subject, taking acid, and smoking lots of cannabis.

Ask yourself the questions until you find the answers that lead you to new change. Reprogramming your brain man! Ala Timothy Leary =D

Ha, yeah that's what I meant to say. I'm tired of having all my ideas up in my head and never applying them in any way. Its gotten me in trouble academically and socially, so I'm anxious to change it. I'm glad you were able to make the switch, it gives me hope thats it possible for me too. :)

>>I'm tired of having all my ideas up in my head and never applying them in any way. >>

for whatever reason, I am usually satisfied with this as my modus operandi.
I investigate. Doing stuff seems trivial.

ebola

I used to make a lot of lists, but it started to become an annoying habit to me so now I keep kind of a mental queue about what needs to be done, shift it as priorities change... and go about my day.
Classic J...ordering the external world so that it comes in line with your rational perceptions.

>>rational perceptions.>>

or do you mean intuited designs?
or is it that rational perceptions (extroverted perceptions) are deployed in the service of intuited designs?

The thing I find most amazing about these personal types is that the "types" are from a nearly 100 year old work by an often discredited psychoanalyst - Carl Jung. Even more so than Freud he gets discredited for being unscientific yet I hardly ever hear anyone refuting the personality test based on his types.

Well, I find the MBTI types useful for thinking about how I operate. My type(s) seem to more deeply describe how I think than other more scientific typologies, like the big 5. Heh...and my big 5 results make me sound like an asshole. :)
If I were concerned with creating some type of empirically derived taxonomy of humans, this'd be a different story.

ebola

The thing I find most amazing about these personal types is that the "types" are from a nearly 100 year old work by an often discredited psychoanalyst - Carl Jung. Even more so than Freud he gets discredited for being unscientific yet I hardly ever hear anyone refuting the personality test based on his types.

It is quite interesting that this type of personality system is accepted in the psychological field, when it is usually considered "pseudo-science". Jung is simply attacked because he strayed too far from the measures of science.

Of course, the roots of personality temperament investigation cannot be traced far enough back in time. Astrology is arguably as old as civilization itself.

ebola? said:
>>I'm tired of having all my ideas up in my head and never applying them in any way. >>

for whatever reason, I am usually satisfied with this as my modus operandi.
I investigate. Doing stuff seems trivial.

ebola

Yeah, they come and go. It's way too difficult to translate any of it into what will be a disappointing product in the physical world.

I feel the same way in regards to 'doing stuff' and I always try to analyze it from every point of view before taking action, and that can get me into a little trouble sometimes. Maybe I've got a J side coming out then because I've been wrestling with trying to get a ritual down and setup schedules in order to be more efficient in the things I want to accomplish.

I know i used to veer away from anything that would put my on a schedule but I realized that it was just a bad aftertaste caused by being stuck in someone else's ideas and schedules ( like school for example). But when you get past all that jazz you start to see how lists and rituals can help, so lately I've been working on crafting a sort of "task" list that I update daily and try to knock things off of it. I'm not taking full advantage of my ideas for it so far, but with continued effort and some ADD meds I'm hopeful of bringing about more and more change in my life in the direction I want to go (mental, spiritual, and physical growth).

=D

"How are you feeling?"

INTJ - "Let me tell you what I'm thinking."
INTP - "Let me get back to you on that."
ENFP - "Fucking great!"

ebola

skywise said:
Because Jung bases his types on age old, pan-global principals, whether they are called Elementals, humours, or-what-have-you.

He is descredited by the general institution of the university, but many things are as well. I believe Allen Ginsberg is not taken seriously at Academic institutions, and yet many consider him a great poet.

[note that I personally find flaws in all of Jung, Ginsburg, and the University ;)]

INTP: We must order our concepts with certainty, and then leave our options to act open.
INTJ: We must explore possibilities, and then act decisively on them.

ebola

Yeah I find Jung actually pretty insightful. He's not scientific, meaning many of his concepts can't be tested and quantified. But if you read him as a philosopher, I find a lot of his concepts about human nature are spot on.

I was googling for more of the arguments about whether House of the show House is an INTJ or an INTP and there in the top ten results is a Bluelight thread. I am amazed how often I search for things not Bluelight specific and the trail leads back home.

Yes I know contemplating the personality types of TV character is pathologically trivial, but I'm a pathologically trivial kind of guy sometimes.

I'm an INTP and I've been locked in endlessly contentious friendships with INTJs most of my life. To the INTJ, ime INTPs are hopeless relativists. INTJs have the capacity to hold several different theories of a subject but they seem to loathe doing so. I admit that INTPs lack conviction. Conviction and a single theory seems an easy road to militant ignorance. I'm not calling INTJs intellectually unskilled, on the contrary INTJs are by my experience the most intellectually gifted MBTI type there is.

As far as INTJs and INTPs getting along INTPs need to concede that there are some things that are time sensitive and require conclusions. INTJs need to concede that there are things that don't require conclusions and benefit from being tentative.

INTJs are often relentless and most of their social problems stem from this. INTPs social problems seem to come from not going for anything which can give the impression that we don't care.

I would not trade to be an INTJ primarily because contentment and satisfaction seems to be a very fragile thing for INTJs.