⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Random Social Chit-Chat v. Illuminati Confirmed

ego_loss said:
I saw "The Thin Red Line" in the theatre on it's opening night. The movie started with a packed house. A majority of the crowd walked out after the first hour or so. By the end of the movie there were maybe three or four other people still watching (not counting myself).
Ahhh, no way. :(

I remember reading one review of it at the time, which said something like 'every single frame is like a work of art'.

Which is true. Gorgeous cinematography and direction, I love it.

Watching Charlies Angels Full Throttle and Being John Malkovich back to back made up for a nice saturday night.

hoptis said:
My favorite genre of film is apocalypse/end-of-the-world stories... not sure why. Which is why I enjoyed the spate of asteroid/meteor attack moofies a few years ago with Deep Impact, Armageddon, Independence Day and all that coming out.

i saw deep impact in ecuador, so to this day, i only call it "impacto profundo"

i am in the process of adding city of god to our netflix queue, but i don't know if i can handle how sad it is. violence against children is really difficult with me, and i have heard about scenes regarding shooting homeless children.

should i or shouldn't i??

^you should
the violence is predominantly done by children.

DarthMom said:
i actually like armageddon, why is it so hated?

because at the end of the movie you don't get to see them all die... the way you really want to... a comet shower on the wedding parade was most certainly needed in that script, end of story.

to continue the randomness... caught a German movie on SBS last night... was called 'Evil', and was about a kid living in a post WW2 German Military School in Sweden (I think)... regardless, really enjoyed it. Gave me new minor insights to many unquestioned idea's. Poor german pride.

and darthmom... it's worth it

Last edited:
Armageddon is just the tip of the iceberg. Bay has done worse.

But, for the record, he is still better than hacks like Uwe Boll (House of the Dead, Bloodrayne, Alone in the Dark). He has a great knack for turning mediocre video games into really fucking bad movies. Seriously, the king of shitty adaptations. That guy makes the Joel Schumaker Batmans look like Shakespeare.

yes, i love that guy! (alton brown) his show is so entertaining!

ego, yeah, alone in the dark was so shockingly bad. they are actually making a second one. what kind of shit is that?

how does someone who has bombed so many times keep making movies, is he using his own money?

felixdahousekat said:
Ahhh, no way. :(

I remember reading one review of it at the time, which said something like 'every single frame is like a work of art'.

Which is true. Gorgeous cinematography and direction, I love it.
Nick Nolte scares the piss out of me in the movie. :D

nick_nolte.jpg

^ Ya can't blame tambo for getting a little flustered though.

DarthMom said:
ego, yeah, alone in the dark was so shockingly bad. they are actually making a second one. what kind of shit is that?

how does someone who has bombed so many times keep making movies, is he using his own money?

Uwe Boll does finance his own movies... but he blames the phenomenal failure of his productions on the distributor. Because it's usually the distributor's fault when a movie sucks major ass, right?

golden globes. best foreign language film = Letters From Iwo Jima.

yes i'm aware the awards industry is corrupt but how much is the american film industry up it's own arse (ass for you yanks), giving an american film this award? haven't seen the film and i'm sure it's ok, but really, are they going to give clint an award for every film he makes until he's dead, and then posthumously numerous lifetime achievement awards? world series baseball anyone?

DarthMom said:
i saw deep impact in ecuador, so to this day, i only call it "impacto profundo"
1) i saw Laura Croft Tomb Raider in Spain. it was 100 degrees outside and the movie theater was one of the few places that had air conditioning. the only part i understood is when John Voight would appear on the screen and Laura would say "Pater!" in a deep voiceover dub. The rest of the time I slept or stared blankly at the screen. Voiceovers suck. Foreign titles are cool though.

2) Mark Wahlberg should not have been nominated for an Oscar for The Departed. There were so many other stronger performances in that movie.

3) Thin Red Line was fantastic. It was released around the same time Saving Private Ryan was and dealt with similar material, yet the films are complete opposites. When I saw it in the theater (opening weekend), no one walked out but the seats weren't nearly as filled as they were for the Spielberg flick.

silvia saint said:
golden globes. best foreign language film = Letters From Iwo Jima.

yes i'm aware the awards industry is corrupt but how much is the american film industry up it's own arse (ass for you yanks), giving an american film this award? haven't seen the film and i'm sure it's ok, but really, are they going to give clint an award for every film he makes until he's dead, and then posthumously numerous lifetime achievement awards? world series baseball anyone?

Clint Eastwood IS one of the most accomplished people in the industry, so I think he would deserve such accolades.

Banquo said:
2) Mark Wahlberg should not have been nominated for an Oscar for The Departed.

He shouldn't be nominated for anything unless it's the 'I'm a complete and utter cock' award :\