Shakes & Supplements. A waste of time compared to natural foods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saar_420

Bluelighter
Instead of some planned diet – I just intend to eat as much of the following:

Fruit and veg
Carbs (Kidney beans. Weetabix, potatoes etc)
And then as much protein as possible.

All natural foods, and lot's of them.

I decided to buy a shake “Maximuscle, Cyclone”. It claims to have all the vital ingredients in one (Whey, Creatine). Not only did this cost an absolute fortune (And I’m already spending enough trying to get the above foods!) it only lasted 2 weeks.

Do these unnatural shakes and supplements do much good at all? Can one achieve about the same muscle gains with just normal food?

Aiming for all of your diet to be from whole foods is the goal. But for most with busy time-restricted schedules, whether from work or school, we are forced to get calories (ie proteins and/or carbs) from shakes and bars.

Personally speaking I get about 75-80% of my calories from whole foods. The rest from protein shakes and meal replacement bars. When I am able to eat more whole foods I do notice that my gains are more substantial and of higher quality.

yes real food is better a shake is just a way for you to get extra protein in if your in a hurry I wouldnt rely on them

whey protein is a tool in bodybuilding.

No food is better post workout than whey, I would pick up a cheap whey supplement, and use it post workout. You will be suprised how long it lasts you.

The problem with what you did is, you bought some over-priced all-in-one product, and you need to keep it simple and buy your whey and creatine separately.

Use a quality whey protein, vitamin c and creatine to supplement a normal diet of 4-5 meals/day. The important thing to consider is the maintenance of your insulin level relative to max. test. production and bring this in sync with your workout routine and muscle repair and replenishing of essential muscle strengthening chemicals/hormones.

shakes are good because you can take them with you and drink them whenever. its pretty hard to eat real food all the time if youre eating 6-8 meals a day.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the shakes do help a little.

The important thing to consider is the maintenance of your insulin level relative to max. test. production and bring this in sync with your workout routine and muscle repair and replenishing of essential muscle strengthening chemicals/hormones.

Now, my training of eating loads of food, and then excercising is great and simple. However planning what foods to eat, and when to eat them to get maximum performance is where things get complicated.

Do you have a link to any page, or thread, that simplifies this and explains about insulin levels etc ?

saar_420 said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess the shakes do help a little.

Now, my training of eating loads of food, and then excercising is great and simple. However planning what foods to eat, and when to eat them to get maximum performance is where things get complicated.

Do you have a link to any page, or thread, that simplifies this and explains about insulin levels etc ?

just eat low GI foods at all times of day except immediatly after a workout consume a high GI LIQUID meal with PROTEIN and DEXTROSE with possible MALTODEXTRIN, NO EFA oil or fats as they will slow absorption, so use water not milk.

Protein powder is generally better post work out in my experience. You don't want to get done working out and eat a big ass steak or tuna, it takes too long for your body to get it where it needs to go.

In my experience you can probly do just fine with regular food but regular food costs a lot when you're talking 200g+ of protein a day.. shakes are cheaper in the long run.

Also, the fancy products that cost a fortune are usually a scam. I take basic Creatine Monohydrate and just plain old Protein 95 (Soy based not Whey cuz I'm lactose intolerant).

Theres many different types of proteins that all have different absorbtion rates.

whey hydrosolate being the quickest absorbed (it tastes like urine mixed in vomit though)

Calcium carbonate plugs up your stomach and absorbs very slowly.

Meat protein stays in your stomach and absorbs 2-4 hours after eating it.

egg protein absorbs fairly quickly (egg whites would be a wise choice of a 'natural' food post workout, with some dextrose)

A good diet will take into account all of these different aspects (as well as aspects of the other macro's along with vitamins and whatnot)

the only time it would be of any benifit is straight after a workout. the only reason it would be of any benifit would be that you would be able to absorb it as qucikly as possible.

you cant do that with solid food.

otherwise its not worth a pinch of shit. thats why i use milk and get the same result.

go waste your money, pinheads...

essex boy said:
the only time it would be of any benifit is straight after a workout. the only reason it would be of any benifit would be that you would be able to absorb it as qucikly as possible.

you cant do that with solid food.

otherwise its not worth a pinch of shit. thats why i use milk and get the same result.

Most people do not eat enough protein on a daily basis. If one were trying to build muscle, the supplimental protein shake would be the ideal way to make up for the deficiency.

essex boy said:
I was agreeing with you until I read this part of your post.

That is really unneccesary. I have half a mind to issue to you CLAWS over it, but its just such a stupid comment that I will assume you are "socially challenged", and will provide you the benefit of the doubt.

Please no one respond to such a comment, it isn't worth your energy.

Obvioulsy real food is better then substituting a meal with a protein shake. Many people ie bodybuilders eat a lot of food and drink protein shakes for the extra protein.

BigBenn said:
I was agreeing with you until I read this part of your post.

That is really unneccesary. I have half a mind to issue to you CLAWS over it, but its just such a stupid comment that I will assume you are "socially challenged", and will provide you the benefit of the doubt.

thanks, almighty one...

if you want to waste your money on what is essentially a bunch of carcinogens, be my guest. there, is that better ?

i suppose you stay up late at night to watch for the latest ab contraption.

everyone wants a quick fix, thats the only reason people buy those products. if a vegetarian can get enough protein in their diet, then there is absolutely no need whatsoever for those expensive jars of snake oil. whole foods are much better. :)

BigBenn said:

wow, so who the fuck are you to judge what i say. trying to get everyone on side shows a lot of insecurity to me.

so i have a strong opinion on these products. do you feel like im criticising you when i say "waste your money pinhead" ?

cos if you do (waste your money), then bad luck.:)

^ I think you're too oppinionated and come across as an ass. While I agree that a lot of products are bunk, there is absolutely nothing wrong with certain supliments and contribute to a healthy work out program while not being very expensive (think I spend 100$ a year on my creatine/protein while I spend thousands on food).

^thank you for your input. all opinions considered. oh, and you can call me anything you like, just dont call me late for dinner... (hold the creatine)

by the way, ill bet london to a brick that youll get exactly the same results from JUST your food. then you save yourself... how much was it you said ?

keep flushing your hard earned down the shitter, pinheads...;)

aanallein said:
Quality food is vastly more expensive than a decently priced protein supliment.

i suggest you are also paying too much for your food. which of course, is vastly superior to those ghastly shakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.