• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy AMT Thread - Part 1 (Archived)

With all this talk of a-MT's MAO inhibiting properties does anyone have any experience--or know someone who does--combining a-MT with a strong reversible MAOI like harmaline? It doesn't sound like the best idea, but I am curious about any quantitative and qualitative changes in effects, particularly the latter.

I've not really seen any definitive evidence objectively or subjectively for significant MAOI activity with AMT. But I would be extremely wary of mixing it with an MAO inhibitor, much like I would be wary of mixing amphetamines with one. It just seems very unsafe.

In Pharmacotheon, or one of his other books, Ott claims that a-MT does not activate 30mg of DMT. I know I have seen a-MT and yohimbine listed together as being MAOIs that do not activate oral DMT.

All tryptamines and phenethylamines are MAOIs to some extent, it is just that most of them are immediately beheaded by MAO, some saturate MAO more than the rest, such as AMT and 2C-T-7, while some, like Harmaline, completely block MAO.

morninggloryseed said:
In Pharmacotheon, or one of his other books, Ott claims that a-MT does not activate 30mg of DMT. I know I have seen a-MT and yohimbine listed together as being MAOIs that do not activate oral DMT.

Yohimbine just feels like a MAOI as alpha-2 antagonists take off the negative feedback brake for the action of noradrenergic/dopaminergic drugs, resulting in the feeling that there's too much sympathiomimetic activity. AMT is just a piss-poor competetive inhibitor. To reach the IC50 concentration of AMT, so that DMT would survive long enough to get into the brain would require eating several grams of the stuff; nobody in their right mind is going to do that

while some, like Harmaline, completely block MAO

No competetive inhibitors completely block MAO (harmaline is a potent competetive inhibitor), but they can block enough so that what's left is so overwhelmed that it's virtually ineffective. Only non-competetive/irreversible inhibitors can completely block MAO

Xorkoth said:
I've not really seen any definitive evidence objectively or subjectively for significant MAOI activity with AMT. But I would be extremely wary of mixing it with an MAO inhibitor, much like I would be wary of mixing amphetamines with one. It just seems very unsafe.
Yeah, with AMT being the tryptamine version of amphetamine I definitely feel where you're coming from. What about at, say, the 4 hour point of an oral AMT trip after MAO has already done some metabolic work (the when, where, and how much of MAO activity is a grey area for me). Again, I don't plan on doing it, but the possibility of an AMT/oral DMT trip intrigues me. I imagine it would be like your 4-AcO-DMT/AMT trips and my own, only just different enough to be worthwhile and a bit more rough and tumble.

Personally I wouldn't use an MAOI with AMT at any point. You're talking about using an MAOI on top of AMT to activate DMT, right? Or am I mistaken?

but the possibility of an AMT/oral DMT trip intrigues me.

To reach the IC50 concentration of AMT, so that DMT would survive long enough to get into the brain would require eating several grams of the stuff; nobody in their right mind is going to do that

Not a practical option

Xorkoth said:
Personally I wouldn't use an MAOI with AMT at any point. You're talking about using an MAOI on top of AMT to activate DMT, right? Or am I mistaken?
Yes. I am aware that AMT is not an effective enough MAOI to make DMT orally active. I am talking about taking something like harmine on top of the AMT and then using DMT orally. The other option is IM injection of the DMT freebase, though the jury is still out on that one. Maybe it just isn't meant to be.

Amt small doses, i like them

After some unpleasant AMT trips and having just about called it quits and flushing it, i found a use for this one. I found small doses are actually very nice and uplifting. I found the sweet spot to be about 2 mg taken first thing in the morning which lasts all day long. I go through the day with greater energy, positive mood and sense of wellbeing, although nothing psychedelic. I've been taking it every day now for almost a week and i can't say that i've experienced any negative effects. Hope a tolerance will not develop here.

yeah, it was first trialed as an antidepressant in the late sixties in 30mg tablets if i remember correctly.

I have heard of LSD being used the same way with success too.

i find that larger doses are much more rewarding. Although some experience some nasty side effects i suffer none that makes the experience a negative one. 5mg i found to be a great mood lifter :) 10mg was good for a dance out in a club and would keep me awake most of the night.

40-50mg i found the most rewarding, i dont suffer any nausea really even at 50mg and the mood lift is much higher and lasts much longer (i have had doses which have left me feelign good for several days after :D)

morninggloryseed said:
indopan was 7mg.

Most sources state that indopan came in 5 and 10mg tablets.

AMT is a weird beast. I mostly explored it in the range of 30 to 60mg and at this range it produced the same state (+2ish) with a slight increase in psychedelia. Ie. on 60mg I felt more or less the same as on 30mg but with more visuals and other funny effects. Strangely enough I could act completely sober at the 60mg dose as well. No troubles speaking or concentrating. On contrary, it is an excellent social lubricant.

Small doses are a whole different matter. I explored ~1 to 7mg doses and the effects are definitely noticeable (and moreover enjoyable). 7mg produced a very mellow/floaty state comparable to 1ml of GBL with a slight touch of the closed eye goodness. Logically thinking taking ten times more as that would project one into hyperspace, but this was not the case for me.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I got a couple 25mg doses coming my way for a camping trip in a couple weeks. Definetly seems like this one gets really mixed reactions with people.

Merged a new low-dose AMT thread into the Big and Dandy. Come on people, let's try harder to keep this place clean. If you have something to say about a substance that has a Big and Dandy thread (which is almost all of them), please post it in that B&D thread instead of starting a brand new one!

I also like low doses of AMT. But my favorite are large doses because the sense of euphoria and lucidity is amazing. When the dose gets too large, the lucidity fades, but 50-60mg (for me) is perfect. Tolerance definitely develops to the psychedelic effects though, and after a few days in a row you might as well take a tiny dose because it will be about the same.

I don't get much in the way of negatives from AMT, except that it has an annoying come-up sometimes at psychedelic doses. So this may not apply to everyone.

Loki Laufey said:
AMT is a weird beast. I mostly explored it in the range of 30 to 60mg and at this range it produced the same state (+2ish) with a slight increase in psychedelia. Ie. on 60mg I felt more or less the same as on 30mg but with more visuals and other funny effects. Strangely enough I could act completely sober at the 60mg dose as well. No troubles speaking or concentrating. On contrary, it is an excellent social lubricant.

I concur. AMT is kind of strange in its effects profile. I find that the euphoria comes on at quite low doses, and higher doses seem to perhaps slightly increase this euphoria, but mostly increase visual phenoma (although I don't find AMT a very visual chemical at all), and mostly it increases the pleasant feeling of intoxication. I've taken it up to 100mg (when I had some serious tolerance), and 60mg without tolerance, and the effects remain quite similar t0 a low 20mg dose. I've never taken a lower dose than that. All of these doses produced a similar effect. They all made social interaction decidedly enhanced, and it makes me want to talk and talk about conceptual, analytical, and/or emotional things. At high doses it begins to get kind of dopey, and I sometimes get the eye wiggles and inability to focus very much that MDMA can give, minus the horrendous aftereffects. Although I do find that when I take high doses too often, I feel pretty run down afterwards. But not depressed. At high does I also lose coordination and become kind of dreamy.

I've grown to love the intoxication of AMT, which does not come on in lower doses. But honestly, lower doses (20-40mg) work for the euphoric and mind-enhancing effects just as well if not better than high doses, but with less of an intense body high.

I've never found AMT at all speedy except during the come-up. It actually feels most similar to MDMA in my experience.

EDIT: When I say 20-40mg is a low dose, I mean it's a definite full dose, but a lower-end full dose.

Last edited:
I thought 30-40mg of a-MT was a full dose for most people, not a lower one. I was going to start off in that area.

Eh, well, it is a full dose. But a lower full dose. Also I've noticed that after my first few experiments with it, even after removing tolerance, I had a higher tolerance to it.

I'd start at 30 and see what happens.

I guess that was misleading. I edited my post somewhat.