• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

Always admit to past violations when asked. Admissions staffers at a vast majority of universities are mature enough to weigh the seriousness of the charge versus your academic performance and genuine desire to complete your graduate degree.

If you're applying to law school, yes, your criminal history will be checked, period. It's generally a national requisite, and essentially no state will ever admit an individual to their respective bars if he or she has a drug charge of any kind. (The entire concept of lawyer ethics blows my mind personally). Medical schools are also likely to check your criminal history, though I would imagine this matters somewhat less than admission to law school in many contexts. Finally, I personally know that from my time working in the admissions office at the University of Texas, the most likely scenario in which a university will check your criminal background depends largely upon the specific department within the university itself. There are quite a few large universities that conduct privately- and government-contracted research that is sensitive in nature; i.e., applying to the chemistry and physics department at UT guarantees a background check because the department holds tons of federal contracts whereas the English and history departments wouldn't necessarily require a check because they hold no such sensitive requisites and contacts.

But like I said at the beginning of my post, it's better never to lie. If worse comes to worst, you can always open up a dialogue with the admissions staff itself and find out exactly what you can personally do to place yourself in better standing.

what program are you planning on applying for?

different programs (medicine) will consider a drugs conviction much more detrimental than others (social science).

probably will be fine. even without the arrest record you will HAVE to get some research under your belt. serious research. when you are doing the research get to know your advising professor or the leader of your internship - normally the recommendation letter they send will be pretty important, in your case it will be absolutely CRUCIAL.

what year are you at in uni?

If you are asked just say no to be safe. Depending on your chosen path, you should be fine, it's only possession i really can't imagine it being a problem, although i'm in England, and things are different i got asked that and left the box blank, i highly doubt they'll bother checking, although it's possible.

It will only effect your financial aid (you cannot receive any from the government). I know that professional programs often do a background check but I know people with DUI's that were still admitted. Drug convictions are the worst because they are the only non-felonies which effect financial aid.

how do i tell someone about my addiction??

Hi everyone... just another question thread for another helpless idiot on drugs. I've been addicted to heroin for about 6 months :-/

Im trying to get clean through rehab (started about 1week ago, which is going well so far).. So this, and a bunch of other things have cluttered my schedule lately, and I haven't been organized. I missed an exam and my professor for the class let me do a make-up test, but wants to talk to me about "what's going on in my life". I know she is suspicious of my using, which doesn't really bother me if she knows, but if she told other teachers/staff/people this would be a huuge problem.

My friend told me about the disabilities program that could help students that are getting treatment for addiction. I don't want to tell this teacher all the details, I just want to get the "help" or whatever from her without telling her what i'm really on. I don't want to tell her because I know her type-- she'll look down on me because i use, and she probably treat me totally different from other students (in-class and grading, etc). Also, she might tell other people, and if someone found out that I'm close to, I would lose all my friends, family, and everything basically.. Anyone know how to tell someone you're addicted to a drug without really telling them??
I don't know what to tell her/them. Any suggestions?

You don't need to tell her anything. If you need to get treatment, can you not get the service yourself through your school without having your professor do it for you?

Just tell her you've been going through hard times with anxiety/depression. It might be lying, but not really. Anyone who's addicted has gone through anxiety and depression to some level. Because of the possible consequences you described, I wouldn't mention jack about addiction.

clinically, addiction treatment is equivalent with psychiatric treatment (that's exactly what it is, right?). it's highly illegal for a teacher/professor to demand information on any medical treatment you may be going through.

she probably wants to know if she should drop you because you're not going to pay attention in class. reassure her that you do plan on staying up with course-work, and do want to stay in the class. treatment, of any kind, is none of her business.

as far as treatment through the school goes, you ought to be able to go to the clinic on campus, or at least to a guidance counselor, to get that information.

the word 'sick' can mean so much, and go so far...

Thanks for the ideas guys.. Just an update- Even though I will be going through the disabilities program thing,, I do want to tell her something--not necessarily about my addiction, but something less specific, so if I do run into a homework/test problem again (such as missing one again), she will be able to understand that I have a legitimate excuse for it.
The anxiety/depression statement is a good idea.. and definitely isn't lying in my case anyway(on lexapro for both of these)
I'm meeting with her in a couple days, i'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again

Yuck. I had the same problem. Methadone withdrawl. I was able to work with the health center and get through. Every school has a center for "distressed students" and deal with it more often than you think. Again, if your instructor knows you are working with another member of the staff on a problem, it has a lot more weight than even a Dr. note. The person I worked with at my Univ. saved my life. I know how painful all this is and I wish you the best!

You don't need to tell her anything, it's not any of her business.

I hate when profs act like they want you to spill some personal details... luckily most of mine could really give a fuck about my personal life since there's generally 100+ students in my classes, but I've TAs and whatnot ask personal questions.

Go through your school's mental health center (most have some, not sure where you go) and talk to a counselor about what's going on. Make sure beforehand but it SHOULD be the case that as long as you aren't a harm to yourself or others everything you say is confidential and should NOT leave the room. Most likely they'll help you make a plan for how to deal with rehab and your classes, and they can deal with your profs. But all they should be telling them is you are having some difficulties and will need to have some exceptions made. She can think whatever she likes, but it's none of her business what's going on in your personal life as long as you have documentation you aren't just fucking around, and you shouldn't feel pressured to tell her anything you don't want to.

thanks again for the help guys. and sorry I didn't keep you posted like i said i would..
I've gone through the disability program which is really all there is here, and all they can do for me is to let me take tests in a separate room than other people.
I didn't really tell anyone about my habit, i was too scared too. i bet if i can tell them this, they would give me more leeway or whatever, but i can't seem to get enough courage to tell anyone..

thanks again for the help guys. and sorry I didn't keep you posted like i said i would..
I've gone through the disability program which is really all there is here, and all they can do for me is to let me take tests in a separate room than other people.
I didn't really tell anyone about my habit, i was too scared too. i bet if i can tell them this, they would give me more leeway or whatever, but i can't seem to get enough courage to tell anyone..
you can let people know that you are going through a rough time in your life, and they will understand, without having to let them (esp adults) know that you are using drugs

with the younger generation it should be fine though...

Just for your information, to use at a later date should you need, drug addiction is classified as a disease. You never have to divulge personal medical information unless stated prior to entering a contract, i.e. certain jobs etc.

You can simply state you are suffering from health issues. If you are requesting allowances to made for you, that may mean you will have to divulge certain medical information to someone that is required to keep that information confidential.

Example, when I worked for a company as a manager, if I had an employee who was ill for long periods or injured and required lighter work loads, the employee had to fax a doctors note from their physician to a company nurse. The nurse would then call me and tell me that employee x was to be on lighter duty for x amount of time. I could never ask why, and even if I did the nurse was unable to comment.

Hope this is helpful.

Getting a job after dealing drugs

So I left my Job a few years ago.
I had been there for a few years and was doing well.
Then I started dealing drugs on the side to make a bit of extra cash - before I knew it, I was making stupid amounts of money so I decided to walk out on my job.
I have been out of society ever since, leading an antisocial existence for all this time.
My life consists of nothing but drug use and getting money.
I have even been too afraid to visit family members because I will look like a failure when they ask me 'what are you doing with yourself these days'?
I need to get my life back and to move away from the shithole of drug dealing.
The problem is - how do I explain to people in my job interviews what I have been doing for the past 3 years?
There's an unexplainable gap in my life and it's holding me back from re-entering society.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thankyou.

shifting from anon to Education and Careers.

Easy solution, tell them you were travelling.

If you have a chance, actually go and do some travelling so you'll know what to talk about.

There are other things you can say as well... you were taking a break from work, deciding what you wanted to do. Be creative, but also be realistic :)

CB.