• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Names

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
Whats it mean to you? do names mean anything or are they just something thats there?

Is there certain names you would murder someone if say you gave up your kid for adoption and they adopted it and named it? (meaning is there certain names that you just HATE)

Do you think about what you would name your possible future kids?

If you do, what are some names you like or consider? if you already have kids what are their names and why did you choose that?

Do you think its important to pass names down from respected people like grandparents, moms, dads, even shit like giving your son the middle name King after MLK , etc.

Do you think its important to how the kid will develop and the kind of person theyll be to give them a good name? i know alot of yall be like what the fuck but to me and ppl I know, a good name is really important, it cant just be any old name. it means something, it gotta be just right, you just gotta set upon it and know its the right one. its kinda some superstitious/mystical shit but thats how I feel about it.

Do you think made up names are stupid and pointless or do you like them cuz you can make it be whatever you want? Do you think 'made up' names are ignorant and make the parents look stupid? Do you look down on people who name their kids weird shit?

DO you think certain names should be restricted to certian people...like would you freak the fuck out if you saw a black kid named Ching-Wa Shang or a white kid named Tareeka or a chinese kid named Paco

Or even, a hippie-as-fuck family nameing their kid Preston Winthrop Haberdashery, or a president of a university naming their kid Sundance Moondrop Mudflap or some shit like that LOL.

What would you like to change your name to, if you wanted to change it?

Do you think about what you would name your possible future kids? If you do, what are some names you like or consider?

Yea....

No question for a boy first name would be Tyrone. my man and i were talking about it and without either of us saying the name to each other we both just said it at the exact same time....so thats in the bag.

Girls...is different....

I like Nevaeh, Zion, Zaire, Queen....Shantee, but i dont see myself namin my kid that really, even as much as I like it, my man wouldnt allow it =P

DO you think certain names should be restricted to certian people...

Shit sounds funny as hell to hear a 'misplaced' name like I listed...but i dont give a fuc, if you like the sound of a name you like the sound of the name. you aint gonna name your kid Porcelina cuz it sounds nice, LOL, but something like, what if i have a kid and i just love the name Lupe? What ya gonna do, say i cant get a baby license cuz im white and i like a mexican name that imma name my kid? LOL. i aint doin that, just sayin. but that brings me to the next one...

Do you think made up names are stupid and pointless or do you like them cuz you can make it be whatever you want? Do you think 'made up' names are ignorant and make the parents look stupid? Do you look down on people who name their kids weird shit?

Ahhh the ghetto names. Million'Za'Dollaz (seen this one), Tyquashavia, Tykwonda, G-Right (for nickname yea thas aight, real first name, come on, no) or like on chappeles, T-Mart...Brakeeda....Shontavia (I seen that one before) Quan (my moms friends failed attempt at spelling Khan on the birth certificate ended up as Quan) shit like that.

I like the Islamic names like Aaliyah, Qu'Dir, shit like that. it all means something. And African names,same thing. even some of the made up ones, like Shonda or DaShawn, thas cool, thats normal sounding. Chanelle, Diamond, alot of the girls names sound real nice, like I always liked the name Shaniqua too. but when it gets to shit like ChaKeisha Sha'NayNay as a first name, aight...thats straight up makin it hard for your kid, anyone will tell you that.

As far as weird names...like frank zappa named his kid names....that shit, is a lil far out to me. I know i said Zion, someone might see that as weird but it means something to me and is pretty sounding, same as Nevaeh, and the other ones i listed.

When you get into shit like Skywalker or the shit that really trendy ass ppl like to name their kids like Apple ( 8( ) i just aint gettin it.

To each their own...

far as names i would never name mines, ...

Preston, Hunter, Riley, Bailey, all those snooty ass names, i just hate em. i hate the name Luke and Craig too.

for girls, ASHLEY, AAAGGGHGHGH never.
Jessica, Alicia, alyssa, EMILY, Jennifer, ugh i cold go on for a long time with the girls names i hate....

Ill answer more of my own shit later, i aint tryna make this post 5000 inches long.

LOL.

The idea of naming a white kid a "black name" makes me giggle. That kid would get his ass beat or made fun of, etc. I really don't care if the name means anything. I'm also not naming my kids after relatives just because.

A lot of times parents name their kids something they think means something wonderful but it doesn't often work out for the kid. THINK ABOUT THE CHILD! Is that name likely to get them beaten up on the playground? Or is it likely to get them passed over for a job interview?

If it is, then perhaps it is best to go for a name like Preston, or Craig. That is my brothers name :p

As for names I would consider, but not necessarily use, because I don't even believe in naming a child before seeing it:

Adrienne, Piper, Joshua, Julia, Robert, Luke, Jenna, Sabrina

Oh, and yes I do look down on those who 'make up names' for their kid. There are other ways to prove individuality than giving them a name that most can't spell or pronounce.

^^les miserables ;)
I agree i hate the typical girl names Lacey mentioned. I especially abhorr Breanna and the like. *puke*

I like Italian names. Stefano, Rocco, Santino, Nicollo, Alessandra, Francesca, Sabrina.

Ooo Jenna is my cat's name. A few names I like are Oliver, Basel, or Kasper for a boy, and Dawn, Eva, Claire, or Katrina for a girl. When I have kids I'm going to give much thought to the name because I feel it is a really important part of self appreciation. It feels good to have your name called and to take pride in it.

No for number two.

IMO, for number three, there are boundries before names start getting out of control. When I was growing up one of my best friend's nanny type person was named Sunshine Daydream Carribean Cruise..we called her Sunny lol.

I wouldnt give my kid any of the names i mentioned in the 'ghetto names' section but some of them is cool, some aint as far as rediculousness goes.

toshya for example, thats cool (it is the same as tasha but thats the spelling...my neighbors name spelled like that.....Afrodeeziana, etc lol. nah.

LOL RC cuz ii hear what u say, but it goes the other way around. I sure as FUCK aint gonna name my kid something cuz it would look good on a job resume.

Life will take em where it will take them....I aint tryna push shit like that. i dont believe in naming your kid weird shit that would ashame them or make them hate me for naming them that doe....im with you on that.....

i dont believe in naming em to be 'cool" or "unique" to "show" that either. not everyone who names their kid somethign unusual is doin it for that reason

Nevaeh is one of my favorite names of all time cuz its Heaven backwards. and that means alot cuz i know raising a kid is heaven and hell but hopefully it will turn out to be the first one.

Its funny cuz i was never about havin kids, like i HATED EM

And i would never think of naming them before or whaetver....

but now i just got this fuckin mommy shit goin on in a dark corner of my mind....i dont know man.........its lurking there and it scares me cuz i aint the cute cuddly fuzzy wuggle baby la la type but man sometimes i be holding one of my friends babies like Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. haa.

But anyways....

Pilot Inspektor Lee (that one always makes me laugh)

I find Jennifer and Ashley (Ashleigh) are overused. Almost every third girl is named Jennifer. For girls I like names that start with C or K, either hard or soft. Kristin, Cheryl, Chrissie, Katherine, etc... Basically all the female names I like begin with a consonant others include Lindsay, Vanessa, Victoria. Basically if I had a daughter I'd want to give her a classy name that's still playful, and not too pretentious.

As for a boy I loathe the names Michael, Frank, and Luke. Naming a boy is a different game altogether. You want to give him an appealing name that inspires confidence and power, yet doesn't seem too pretentious or flakey. I have no idea what I'd name a son if I had one.

I have a hard time thinking about this, for a couple of reasons.

1. most of the time when I think of names for a kid, I have at one point known someone with that name, and I wouldnt want to think of someone else whenever I say my childs name, especially if I have known someone with that name who was a real asshole.

2. I think a name should somehow reflect something about the person. It feels like it would be more suitable to wait to see what type of person a kid becomes before giving them a name.

3. Common names like "mike" or "john" are boring, but original names are so often pretentious and stupid.

4. you have to think about what it sounds like in conjunction with the surname too. Some names sound good by themselves, but would sound dumb in conjunction with a last name. i cant think of any examples right now, but generally two short names or two long names just sound dumb together.

i always think of this when i think of naming kids...

Baby Names

Wife.....Julia Sweeney
Husband.....Nicholas Cage
Telegram Deliverer.....Rob Schneider

[ open on a married couple trying to think of a name for their unknown baby ]

Wife: I was thinking about Joseph.

Husband: [ turned off ] Joseph?

Wife: Yeah. Joseph.

Husband: Well.. it's a nice name, but the kids are gonna call him "Joe Blow". I mean, as long as you know that. Or "Sloppy Joe", you know.. "How are Mr. & Mrs. Schmo?"

Wife: Well, I guess that's true..

Husband: I mean, it's a nice name.

Wife: Well, that's alright. How about John? That's nice and simple.

Husband: What, are you serious?

Wife: Well, yeah.

Husband: John? You want to do that to the kid?

Wife: Do what?
Husband: [ mimicking ] "Hey, John! Hey, let's go to the john. Huh, John? Let's go!"

Wife: Well.. wouldn't he outgrow those jokes?

Husband: Look, kids are mean. I just want him to have a happy childhood, too.. but, "Long John Silver"? I mean, I don't know what to say!

Wife: Okay, okay, okay.. Well.. um.. what about Peter?

Husband: Oh, right. Sure. Peter. Let's just put him up for adoption right now, save the kid a lot of agony. I mean, obviously - no Peter, no Dick, no Rod! Can we just discuss this intelligently, please?

Wife: Yes, we can. [ thinking ] Okay.. um.. William.

Husband: William. Good. "Wee Willie!" "Chilly Willy!" "Willie Wonka! Hey! Where's your chocolate factory?! Oompa-Loompa" every day of his life!

Wife: Ddi you get teased a lot as a kid?

Husband: [ defensive ] No, I did not. Did you tease a lot of kids? Because, judging from these names you're picking, you don't seem to be very sensitive.

Wife: Okay, I'll just keep trying.. What about Fred?

Husband: [ sighing ] Please.. Fred, Frank.. lease, the F's are no good. If he's fat, it's just a disaster.

Wife: Okay, alright. Um.. Sam?

Husband: Great. Sam. "Uncle Sam." "I want you.. to be ostracized!"

Wife: Then, let's Paul.

Husband: Right. Paul. "Hey, Paul, where's Peter and Mary?!"

Wife: What?

Husband: Peter, Paul and Mary. "Hey, Paul! Play me a folk song, and then I'll beat the crap out of you!

Wife: Well, at this point, I'd just settle for anything. How about.. Jack?

Husband: [ thinking ] Hmm.. yeah.. yeah, Jack's a fine name.

Wife: Really?

Husband: Oh, yeah.. as long as we make his middle name O'Lantern! Because that is what everyone's gonna call him!

Wife: Okay.. fine.. what about ben?

Husband: Ben! Oh, fine, we're giving birth to a big bear? Great! "Gentle Ben!" "Hey, Ben, where's Jerry? Get me some ice cream, or I'll beat the crap outta ya'!

Wife: We could call him "Benjamin".

Husband: Sure. Benjamin. Harrison! "Hey, Benjamin, how's that tariff coming?! Montana a state yet?!"

Wife: Well, what about.. Todd?

Husband: [ stretching for an excuse ] Todd.. Todd.. Tad! "Tadpole!" Our son's a tadpole! "Hey, Tadpole, I don't like you! Thank your parents!"

Wife: Now, come on, I said "Todd", not "Tad". You changed the name, that's cheating.

Husband: Yeah, and it took five seconds. It might take a kid ten.

Wife: [ sighing ] Okay.. what about Harry?

Husband: "Hey, Harry, where are the Hendersons?!"

Wife: Oh, come on! Nobody even saw that movie!

Husband: Kids saw it! Alright, one more.. come on, we can do it..

Wife: Alright. Um.. Nate.

Husband: "The Nate Rockne Story." "Hey, Nate, where's the Gipper?"

Wife: What?

Husband: [ pacing the room ] Na-ate! Na-ate! Do you like that sound? Well, you better get used to it! [ his wife walks across the room ] Hey, where are you going?

Wife: [ leafing through book ] I'm looking at this Baby Name book, I thought it could help us.. [ looking through book ] How about Bjaardker?

Husband: [ intrigued ] Oh?

Wife: Bjaardker. It's Icelandic.

Husband: [ considering ] Yeah.. that's a tough little name to crack. That could be good. [ puts his face up to his Wife's belly ] Hey, Bjaardker, little fellow. You might just have a good childhood, after all. [ Wife laughs ] Talk to you later.

Wife: I love you.

Husband: I love you. [ they kiss, as the doorbell rings ] You sit, honey.

Wife: Alright.

Husband: [ answering the door ] Yes?

Telegram Deliverer: Hi, how you doing? I've got a telegram here for a Mr. & Mrs. Asswipe Johnson. I'm supposed to read it. [ holds telegram ] "Dear Asswipe & Emily: Congratulations on your upcoming blessed event. All our love, Bob & Diane." Here you go, Sir. [ hands him the telegram ]

Husband: Uh.. listen.. that's "Os-wee-pay".

Telegram Deliverer: [ confused ] What?

Husband: Uh.. forget it, forget it.. [ closes the door and sits next to his wife ]

Wife: That was really nice of Bob and Diane.

Husband: [ sighs ] Yeah, but why do they have to mention my name so much?

Wife: Oh, honey..

[ fade ]

pennywise said:
3. Common names like "mike" or "john" are boring, but original names are so often pretentious and stupid.

I remember watching a segment on 'A Current Affair' (so take this with a grain of salt), where they were interviewing someone who did a study which found that people with common names are more likely to succeed in life.

i would like to give my kids different names but i i am concerned that they would be made fun of for it. but shit, all kids get made fun of for their names, no matter what they are.

I've always liked the girl names Star/Starla and Rain. I'm sure that if buzzy and I have kids, we will have to duke it out about names.

I hate pretentious, private school Greenwich CT sounding names like Madison, Preston etc.

it could be worse you could be the daughter of some of my friends...

Moonbeam
&
Starlight

Pecae love and vibe on my amethyst its a healing crystal ;) tornado juice I tell ya, wack city

Personally, I wouldn't want to name my kid something that almost every other kid in his class is going to be named.

For instance, I really like the name, Jacob, but I wouldn't name my kid that because it's a very popular name these days. I wouldn't want him going to class and having five other Jacobs there. I want him to feel unique.

I went through a phase once where I was convinced i would name my future baby girl Tamarind , tammy for short , or TigerLily ( no doubt influenced by rockstar baby names...Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence, for instance :p)

Lately I have been liking the name Fiona for a baby girl.

There's this trend in Australia where bogans pick a reasonably pleasant name, but then spell it phonetically, to draw as much attention to their ghastly accents as possible. For example, my cousin's daughter is called Kayluh. WTF were they thinking.

I have no intention of having kids, but if it happens, you can bet they'll be getting extreme names. Possibly with a Simpsons reference, like "Max Power". Or "Lindsay Nagel". Or "Stuart".

^^LOL.

Chrissie , co-sign on what you said. "MADISON?!!" *throws up*

I knew a girl named Taisha, that sounds nice as hell but we used to call her Taser lol

I hate my name. Its a unisex name...and to make it worse EVERYONE calls my boyfriend it as well...were known as jamiesquared 8( 8)

There's this trend in Australia where bogans pick a reasonably pleasant name, but then spell it phonetically, to draw as much attention to their ghastly accents as possible. For example, my cousin's daughter is called Kayluh. WTF were they thinking.

lol, bogans love doing this. I have a pretty common name but it can be spelt quite a few ways, and it drives me nuts sometimes having to repeatedly spell it out to people. I can't imagine how irritating it's going to be for these poor kids (kayluh, jaidyn, shenaye, rebekkah etc) when they get older, particularly as they're often traditional names but with a few extra y's and h's thrown in for 'originality,' which makes it all the more likely that people will miss-spell it.

All the people I've known name their kids stuff like this have been bogans, and they've all done it because they think it's the epitome of creativity. I have no problem with odd names per se, but I swear these people just pick names out of the birth notices in the herald-sun and then just chuck in extra vowels.

chrissie said:
i would like to give my kids different names but i i am concerned that they would be made fun of for it. but shit, all kids get made fun of for their names, no matter what they are.

I've always liked the girl names Star/Starla and Rain. I'm sure that if buzzy and I have kids, we will have to duke it out about names.

I hate pretentious, private school Greenwich CT sounding names like Madison, Preston etc.
I knew a brother and sister growing up names Wind and Rain. I loved it!

My kids are Zachary (zach) and benjamin (benji) zach was a pretty rare name 9 years ago, and I always thought my girl would be a zoe, so I wanted to do a z name just in case....benjamin is a relative that passed on, and I dug the name benji, so that is how we got that one. My next will be a girl, and she will be olivia leigh. I have always loved the name olivia, and leigh is my great aunt that passed (middle name, her first is vada, that would just be mean. i love the name but my hubby said no way)