• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art The Modern Art Thread

Belisarius.....i love mark ryden too =D
Mark's paintings instantly trigger a warped deja vu. His work recalls a parallel universe of 1950s Golden Books and the whimsy of Lewis Carroll. His cheery bunnies, rendered in the glowing hues of children's books, are likely to be carving slabs of meat rather than frolicking in the forest. Ryden's work mingles superb technique with outre images to create a world of strange and disturbing beauty.

morkov.jpg

bjorkdetalj53.jpg

bio9.53.jpg

Try this Link

I just noticed the bluelighter two's work in the gallery:

0160.jpg

This is my favorite out of the work he's put up. Props!

Plus, it's nice to get this thread on the front page again, right atlas? ;)

Nobody's mentioned Sol LeWitt yet? :)

ESC0003B.jpg

slcolort.L.jpg

SolLewitt-installation-Hirshhorn-WallDrawing-1113-CubeStack-600pix.jpg

And though Atlas already mentioned it... here's my current favorite of Anish Kapoor

kapoor_sinine.JPG

Last edited:
Atlas, FYI, Alexander Calder was technically part of the Constructivist movement.
/pedant

;)

^^
I dissagree

Calder never ran with any consutrctivsts. He's an american who fell in with the dada/surrealist crowd. Calling Calder a constructivist is like calling Picasso or David Smith the Constructivists. Just because they used metal, and created abstract sculptures doesn't make them similar.

Constructivism is a Russian movement, and while it started as a simple exploration of new materials, it quickly and irrevocably changed (from within) to become something in service of the state. It died when Stalin killed it in favor of more traditional state art.

Calder belonged to no school and had no stated affiliation with them, and I'd be more inclined to lump him in with the bauhaus than with the russians, though I think he'd be most at home with Arp and Miro, surrealists both.=D

atlas said:
Calder never ran with any consutrctivsts. He's an american who fell in with the dada/surrealist crowd. Calling Calder a constructivist is like calling Picasso or David Smith the Constructivists. Just because they used metal, and created abstract sculptures doesn't make them similar.

Yes and no. He was linked to Dada/Surrealism due to the arrangement and "playful" nature of his mobiles but he still held elements of Constructivism due to the sheer boldness of his work. Duchamp and Miró both considered him a constructivist and Naum Gabo was one of his inspirations. Calder basically inventing the mobile sculpture and constructivism was considered in part as executing/representing, in the same point of space, different objects, movements, transformations, and displacements.

unless you want to count Gabo as the creator of the mobile (insofar as he created moving sculptured before Calder did).

I wasn't linking Calder to miro because his work was similar, I was linking them because they spent time together. For me, to call an artist not explicitly alligned with soviet constructivism a constructivist is doing him a disservice, I refuse to call him a surrealist, even though the latent content of lots of his mobiles is surrealist in nature.. I wouldn't even call Noam Gabo a true constrctionalist, either. The real ones developed stuff like Rodchenko, state art.

wow AmorRoark those pictures you posted on this page are awesome!