• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art The Modern Art Thread

I like some of Tra Selhtrow's stuff...
Crested Owl
crestedowl-traSelhtrow.jpg

Meth in LA
methinla.jpg

AmorRoark said:
Ever since I learned of how Warhol stole his concepts of art from a lesser-known colleague I haven't held much stock in his art or whatever they signify.

who are you talking about? and i don't know; wasn't half the point of his art based on the fact that everything he did was stolen in the first place. he was appropriating ideas and then laughing at our own desire to consume what we'd a) created, and b) already consumed on a daily basis... but that's why he confuses me i guess :\

She's probably thinking of Jack Smith; I've heard that weak argument before. Funny thing is, most of the people who make the claim haven't seen any of his films to begin with. :)

onetwothreefour said:
that's wonderful :)

close.jpg

and that too.

have you seen it (or other close photograph like paintings) in person?
they are absolutly astonishing, amazing, so precise with a wonderful sense of what would be in focus and what would not be looking at through a camera/at a photograph/or at one point. there isnt even a way of describing just how breath taking they are
and then also taking into consideration how he has to actually make his art it is even more so.

^^^ i've seen some (very little) of the old caravaggio-style stuff - though not caravaggio himself! - and it was just astonishing, like you say. that picture above really makes you take a second look and wonder if it's a painting. but even beyond that it has a life, because there's such personality to it.

i've not seen much contemporary painting that is so amazingly realistic.

not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but you should check out www.woostercollective.com for street art; really nice site;

unfortunately it collapsed some time today, so at the moment there's only some backup site up and the original site and their great archive will take some time to reappear; anyway, remember the link and have a look at the current version; worth it

jm

how could we have missed bridget riley? the beautiful british op artist. :)

yes, i'm partial to her wavy lines ;)

rlyBridget.jpg

FR240.jpg

Bridget-Riley-Blaze-4--br--Silkscreen-print--7777.jpg

riley04.jpg

i don't really like warhol too much.... i'm a big fan of cezanne, monet, degas, picasso, gauguin, munch, and van gogh among others. i like some newer stuff but most of the surrealist and pop art just doesn't do it for me.

i have a cd from an art class i took once with like a hundred images, i'll dig it out and post some later

8) You guys need to expand your horizons past escher and macabre paintings of goth girls.

crazystairs.jpg