• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art The Modern Art Thread

mmm, why haven't I clicked on this thread so far? I'm salivating! I especially like naoto hattori
and the last picture that blahblahblah posted.

as for me... I usually just go to http://www.deviantart.com to satisfy my art cravings... especially fantasy art

although I recently discovered trippingmonkey's work while browsing the bl gallery... must say I'm impressed:

48291brazillian_job.jpg

48291city.jpg

a) thankyou for posting this.

b) i still don't think visual and performing arts should have been changed to film and television.

c) check your pms (amy)... in a minute.

d) i don't actually know much at all about art, but i like seeing other people's choices. the little i do know is generally photography-based.

i adore cindy sherman (though lately her ethics have been pretty shady), and particularly her film stills stuff. i could probably name a bunch of other stuff if prompted, but i should probably go look over some things properly.

(oh, larry clark. larry clark's photography is lovely. in the confronting way.)

i need to post some stuff by the guy at greyscale.net. it's on my home PC though. the work on his old site still makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

btw, does anyone find analysing warhol's critique of society (through his work) confusing? i don't know what i think about warhol :\

pleasur5ak.gif

Pleasure of the Text by Mark Tansey

revier3cq.jpg

Revier by Odd Nerdrum

crowbarn4yl.jpg

Cow Barn by Anderson Giles

argininosuccinicacid1995c10040.jpg

Argininosuccinic Acid by Damien Hirst

arthurrimbaudinny8be.jpg

Arthur Rimbaud in NY by David Wojnarowicz

onetwothreefour said:
btw, does anyone find analysing warhol's critique of society (through his work) confusing? i don't know what i think about warhol :

Ever since I learned of how Warhol stole his concepts of art from a lesser-known colleague I haven't held much stock in his art or whatever they signify.

Bullshit. Pop art appropriated its concepts from dadaists like Duchamp.

Who are you even talking about? Richard Hamilton? Jack Smith? Surely not Lichtenstein! Please reveal the name of this "lesser known colleague."

with andy warhol, i put myself squarely in the 'thats a fucking soupcan dude, i dont care what it signifies' camp. i have a vague idea of why it is important in the greater scheme of things, but i dont understand why people would look at it for fun

Sn2.ru said:
Pleasure of the Text by Mark Tansey
i love mark tansey - i've never met anybody else who's even heard of him let alone knows his stuff. nice.

i love 'the key':

key.jpg

alasdair

this is a great thread :)

some of my favourite artists are: dali, van gogh, o'keef, klimt...

What are talking about Atlas...? I already feel quilty enough posting painting I find interesting, if you dont like it post something instead of snide comments about 'fantasy art'... Anyways 8)

Claton Brothers

I feel half full
i_feel_half_full.jpg

They hope you receive more
They-Hope-You-Receive-More.jpg

^^oh my god, I looooove edward hopper!! my favorite is morning sun, which is at the columbus museum of art.. I have spent sooo much time in front of it there, wow.
hopper_morning-sun.jpg

sandy skiglund- she does installations like this:
(germs are everywhere)
germs.jpg

constantin brancusi:
19.jpg

Alfred Gockel
adl-aa-aw134.jpg

victor vasarely:
Victor-Vasarely-Vonal-KSZ-25890.jpg

:):)

Bumpage.

I love book cover artwork such as these:
EDGEcvr.jpg

someone_cover_small.jpg

whimsical stuff like this ironing caterpillar (i forgot who did it! I just saved it in my other hard drive AGES ago and found it again!)
Ironing.jpg

and I did this one painting years ago .....:p unfinished but im too lazy lol:eek:
Cocteau010.jpg