• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Safer use of stimulants faq

TruthSpeaker

Bluelighter
TruthSpeaker's Safer use of stimulants faq

Seems like there's been a lot of questions regarding comedowns and treating amphetamine/stimulant abuse. A lot of this information regarding stimulant safety is scattered, and by making this thread I intend to organize all of this information into a single document.

Most if not all of this information is expressed in laymen's terms. This thread is not meant to provide people with basic information (such as dosing, effects, etc) about amphetamines and stimulants, but rather, as a thread to inform people about safety precautions and advice they can use in treating amphetamine/stimulant abuse.

A majority of the information represented in this faq is collected from a cumlative knowledge of stimulants I have obtained.

Some basic amphetamine information can be found here: it is suggested everyone read this before they continue.

Renegade's Amphetamine FAQ

Very helpful faq regarding meth use, tolerance, etc

I'll start off with the basics of harm-reduction involving stimulants, these are the MOST BASIC precautionary elements one should take before abusing speed.

The Basics

Drink water - your body gets massively dehydrated from stimulants such as Speed or X. A lot of neurotoxicity and damage can be reducted if you ONLY STAY HYDRATED! Products such as gaterade that supply Sodium and Potassium back to the body are very useful in staying hydrated.

Eat foods! Primary fruits with B, C, E, or K vitamins, fibers found in whole wheat bread or apples help take pressures off the heart - Your body needs food to survive, period. No food intake = no glucose in your body to carry out even the basic functions of survival, such as cellular respiration.

Avoid strenous exercise/keep cool - checking your heart rate every so often gives you an idea on how concerned you should be, you don't want to be running while peaking on stimulants and die of a stroke. A nasty way to go. Keeping cool also helps your body protect itself from overheating.

Try to Sleep! - This one is huge, not only does sleep help prevent amphetamine psychosis, but regenerates your body and helps your mind take in more material. Don't plan on remembering a lot of the material you crammed if you haven't slept in over 24 hours. Possible Rx sleep aids are Trazadone and the benzo class, and OTC meds such as bendrayl (Diphenhydramine), and motion sickness pills (Dimenhydrinate) help reduce nausea and vomitting. I've heard Tylenol PM works fine as well. Natural supplements such as melatonin, 5-htp, and magnesium may also help you fall asleep easier.

Note: benzos and anti-nausea products such as bendrayl can contribute to memory loss, which might lead you to forget some of the material you studied the previous night.

Helpful Supplements

Magnesium - NMDA antagonist, prevents/reduces the tolerance of amphetamine, reduces muscle tension, is also believed to relieve stress and helps reduce jaw tension. Magnesium/Calcium levels also appear to be abnormal after amphetamine use, mostly the level of magnesium in your body drop while the levels of calcium stay the same. Magnesium can be found primary in banannas.

Vitamin C/E - an obvious choice, helps in maintaing the body, relieves stress, antioxidant, helps fight off disease, required for normal growth of body, helps body recover faster. Vitamin C is found in oranges and most other fruit such as watermelons, lemons, apples, grapefruits...

B vitamins (niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, etc) - functions in the breakdown of carbohydrates into glucose (provding more energy for those days you feel exhausted after use), functions in the breakdown of fats and proteins (which aids the normal functioning of the nervous system). Pretty much just contribute to an increase in mood and energy.

Melatonin - used as a sleep aid after use, may also function in reducing stress and curing insomnia.

Dietary Fibers - takes some pressure off of your heart by helping lower blood pressure. As contributes to heart health, gastrointestinal health, diabetes, immune function and weight management. Dietary fibers are found everywhere, wheat bread, certain fruits (apples, peaches, etc), cereal.

Maintaining the body's "pleasure" neurotransmitters

The 2 primary receptors affected by abusing amphetamines are dopamine and serotonin. Dopamine is the body's "reward center", rewarding the body with happy feelings caused by success. (winning a championship, love, etc) By stimulating your body's rate of production of these 2 receptors, you shorten the "crash" time and recover much faster.

Generally, we use precursors to the certain neurotransmitters to increase production of that certain neurotransmitters. Take the precursor 5-htp for example. Normally tryptophan would produce 5-htp, which would in turn produce serotonin. By taking precursors you pretty much "skip" a step in enzyme production, enabling faster production of the product.

Producing more dopamine:

Too much dopamine has been linked to Schizophrenia, and too little has been linked to Parkinson's disease. I believe this rapid depletion of dopamine in amphetamine/stimulant habitual users is what leads to the "shakes" of stimulant abuse, as you see parkinson patients shaking involuntary all the time.

NADH (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) - a precursor to dopamine, pretty much just a supplement you can take to help produce more dopamine at faster levels.

L-Tyrosine - prescursor to dopamine and the adrenal hormones norepinephrine and epinephrine. Pretty much just increases alterness since the adrenal hormones help overall physical ability, also helps treat depression, which all precursors of dopamine should theoritically do. Vitamins C and B6 have been recommended in addition to taking L-Tyrosine.

Another believed dopamine precursor is SAM-e (S-adensoyl-L-methionine), how this works I'm not sure right now, can anyone clear this up?

Producing more serotonin:

5-htp - a famous and much talked about supplement. Serves as the precursor to serotonin. It is generally used to treat depression, isomnia, headaches and suppresses appetite.

SRRI's - brand names include prozac (Fluoxetine), Zoloft (Sertraline), Molipaxin (Trazadone), the list goes on. They are prescribed for depression and anxiety disorders such as OCD, and ADD. SSRI's work by increasing the amount serotonin chemical messengers in the brain. SSRI's should not be on a constant basis. Generally, the only people who would use SSRI's to get back on track are people who have been rolling on E or tweaked on Meth for days straight. SSRI's can take up to days to weeks to kick in, so some may "preload" with SSRI's a week before a meth or E binge.

It is probaly unwise for anyone under normal conditions to take most SSRI's for a stimulant comedown. Trazadone is the only one I can think of that might be useful since it will pretty much knock you out.

Usually one should be careful with how much serotonin they force their body to produce. Neither high or low concentrations of serotonin has been linked, as of yet, to cause depression.

Stimulant tolerance prevention

This thread pretty much explains all of it in detail, very precise

For the lazy, pretty much the only type of drugs that will prevent amphetamine/meth tolerance are NMDA antagonists such as DXM, Ketamine, Magnesium and others such as Memantine and Acamprosate.

Taking these drugs WILL NOT reduce tolerance or prevent it completely. Taking these types of drugs will only partially help prevent tolerance from onsetting as fast as it normaly would.

Note: Tolerance levels develop very rapidly in amphetamines, it is very common for amphetamine tolerance to increase as much as 100% per day of a amphetamine binge.

Other drugs in helping amphetamine comedown/abuse

Benzodiazepines- covers the user in a "blanket" after amphetamine/stimulant use. Very helpful in falling asleep and reducing anxiety. Benzos can also cause respiratory depression and low blood pressure, thus making it useful in fighting hypertension.

Unfortunely, there are some major drawbacks to benzos. Benzos can cause amnesia, which will pretty much just erase the previous night from your memory. Benzo addiction is also a bitch, most people describe it as the WORST withdrawal symptoms you will ever face. Some symptoms of the wd's include tremors, seizures, or even coma.

Some examples of benzodiazepines include valium, xanax, and kolonopin. Benzos are generally safe, and people claim that they are hard to get addicted to, especially if you are using it only when you comedown from stimulants.

Bendadryl (Diphenhydramine) - help reduce nausea and vomitting, as well as causes drowziness, which may help the user fall asleep. Also may be used as an anti-anxiety and as an anti-parkison pill (helps reduce the "shaky" feeling you get after speed use). Another variation of bendrayl is dramamine (Dimenhydrinate), which is proclaimed -50% as potent as diphenhydramine.

Some people report that they sleep they receive while on drugs such as bendrayl is very erratic and consists of nightmares. Benadryl also may cause respiratory depression.

GHB (Gamma hydroxy butyrate) - people call this liquid X, the positive effects of this in relation to stimulant safety include muscle relaxation and lowered heart rate. Other effects caused by this drug are: Intoxication, increased energy, happiness, desire to socialize, loss of coordination due to loss of muscle tone, and possible nausea.

Bad effects of this drug include drowsiness, dizziness, amnesia, vomiting, loss of muscle control, respiratory problems, and loss of consciousness.

I've also heard that using certain opiates such as vicodin the night after you have used the amphetamine can help you sleep better and will lower your heart rate. I have tried this, and I ended up puking 3 times throughout the night.

Kava Kava, marijuana, salvia and other herbal psychodelics may also reduce some negative aspects of stimulants and help in reducing anxiety.

Alchol, primarily red wine might also help. Red wine has been shown to reduce hypertension and assist in helping maintain the cardiovascular system.

In conclusion

Like I stated before, this faq is mostly intended to help stimulant users be more safe in their usage by stating precautions/medication/supplements one can take to reduce the negative effectives of the stimulant. This faq does not give out basic information such as duration, dosage and effects of stimulant substances.

If you feel like your usage of amphetamines/stimulants have increased or become extremely high the best thing to do is to quit the drug all together. The use of supplements and certain drugs may only partially help the negative effects of stimulants, the best thing to do if you feel like your life has gotten out of control is to quit.

If you feel like I have missed something in this faq or have provided incorrect information please contact me and I will try to change it as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good post man. Though I don't really understand the bit on SSRI's, I don't think ayone who has not been prescribed them should use them, if thats what you mean. I'm on Aropax (Paxil) and would never think of encouraging someone to have one of them. But apart from that, brilliant work. :)

Good overview! Nicely done.

Please add GHB as a great way to comedown from an amphetamine high. It is faster acting, almost no tolerance development over time, less withdrawal than with benzos and it's fun too!

Nice & efficient FAQ! thanks for the submission. will make sure to keep it bumped for a while

Thanks for your efforts

Good stuff, well worth the read . I'd be proud to produce something as worthwhile !:)