• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

⫸STICKY⫷ Lab busts & explosions (2005-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend's father pop up on CNN about 6-7 months ago, who has a house in Alpharetta. His meth lab was pretty extensive, they raided the shit out of that home..

that is a preety big lab, and yes that is a bunch of chemicals to just be carelessly dumping in the yard

Re: Re: Re: Stupid IS as stupid DOES: Police Bust Georgia's First Meth ''Super-Lab''

Originally posted by Mind_Movie
Originally posted by Invalid Usename
Meth labs are dangerous, and people shouldn't be making pharmaceuticals in their bathtubs. They don't know what they are doing and it is the formula for disaster.

how you know?

...I was reacting to "They don't know what they are doing".

From what I can gather, a number of toxic chemicals are used in the manufacturing process. Highly caustic acids, flammable and toxic solvents, and other chemicals which can be lethal in the hands of a careless or unskilled person.

You never see pharmaceuticals manufactured in the middle of a neighborhood, and there is a reason for that. Chemical manufacturing is dangerous, that is why there are such strict guidelines and regulations involving the handling of the raw materials and the waste products. The issue is so complex that there are multiple agencies which address the separate areas involved. FDA, EPA, OSHA, and a host of other regulatory agencies regulate pharmaceutical production. And the primary reason has to do with public safety.

Even the resulting product coming out of these meth labs proves that they do not know what they are doing. From what I have read, the product anywhere from a 10% to 50% purity level. Which means that between 90% to 50% of their product is impurities (and god only knows what those could be composed of).

Commercial drugs have a consistent high rate of purity (upwards of 99%).

Those facts alone prove that these bath tub drug meth producers don't know what they are doing. :)

I'm not a chemist, but you don't need to be one to see that these illegal meth labs are a serious health hazard.

Meth Cook #1: At last, we have acquired enough ephedrine to cook 10 pounds of meth a day! If we don't get caught, we'll be rich?

Meth Cook #2: Hey, where should I dump this lye?

Meth Cook #1: Out front. If you see Mrs. Danielson out there, try to see if she's done borrowing all those Pyrex dishes from us.

BTW, everyone knows that you dump your hazardous chemicals in an isolated wooded area, or failing that, a city park.

i prefer pouring the chems into a dolphin's mouth. I mean, just cut the crap and go right to the source.

nephron said:
There's a fairly strong link between amphetamine use and psychosis even among people who use it in a relatively sensible fashion (e.g. people who take it as prescribed for A.D.D.)

It doesn't mean that psychosis is an inevitable consequence or anything, but it is likely to trigger psychosis in vulnerable individuals.
I'm not sure I agree with your linking medically supervised patients using methamphetamine to aquired psychosis. I've looked over the medical references on this pretty closely and haven't found a reference to even one case where problems of this nature have occurred.

Do you have any authoritative medical documents to support your assertion that psychosis has been observed in clinical patients?

It can in an indirect way. People stay up for abnormally long periods of time (which can induce psychotic like symptoms), and then they are dopamine deprived at the same time. Mix those two factors together and it can create a serious distortion in one's perceptions and the way that one reacts to those perceptions.

Were just not built to stay awake for long periods of time. Then you have people who do it for many days in a row and something is going to break down.

*CrystalMeth Bunny* said:
Meth Cook #1: At last, we have acquired enough ephedrine to cook 10 pounds of meth a day! If we don't get caught, we'll be rich?

Meth Cook #1: Out front. If you see Mrs. Danielson out there, try to see if she's done borrowing all those Pyrex dishes from us.

I sense a made-for-TV movie.

I'm not certain why everyone seems to be shocked and amazed that the production of meth is causing an output of such hazardouz chemicals. I no longer have the figure, but for every ounce of meth created, there is a poundage (not sure of the figure) of chemical waste that accompanies it. This is true regardless of whether or not the "chemist" creating it knew what he/she was doing or not. This is also regardless of the purity of the end product.

I am also a former meth user (quite heavy for a time) and can attest to the fact that even if the user eats and sleeps regularly (known as a fuctioning addict) meth use can still exacerbate any preexisting conditions of anxiety and the effects are lasting, the same holding true as with many other chemicals (prescription or not).

It's a good thing they were apprehended before the neon sign they ordered arrived. I mean, a giant sign that said "Clandestine Meth Lab" could've started a fire.

kiwikr720 said:
I'm not certain why everyone seems to be shocked and amazed that the production of meth is causing an output of such hazardouz chemicals. I no longer have the figure, but for every ounce of meth created, there is a poundage (not sure of the figure) of chemical waste that accompanies it. This is true regardless of whether or not the "chemist" creating it knew what he/she was doing or not. This is also regardless of the purity of the end product.
I don't think anyone has questioned whether methamphetamine manufacture produces toxic waste products. The issue is the safety hazard which such labs pose to the general public. With people operating such labs who are untrained, and have no formal understanding of safe handling and disposal methods (and may not even care if waste products are safely disposed of), just further complicates an already bad situation.

At the same time, given the low purity of black market meth lab end products, underscores the fact that the people who are operating these labs do not know what they are doing.

If prohibition laws were ended, and such drugs were made available through a government regulated commercial market, all of the issues we've been discussing would disappear over night (along with all of the secondary crime resulting from a black market).
Note that safe drug use is a separate and distinct issue from protecting the public from hazardous and unregulated secret drug labs.

kiwikr720 said:
I am also a former meth user (quite heavy for a time) and can attest to the fact that even if the user eats and sleeps regularly (known as a fuctioning addict) meth use can still exacerbate any preexisting conditions of anxiety and the effects are lasting, the same holding true as with many other chemicals (prescription or not).
This is the difference between recreational use and true drug abuse (where one integrates drug use into one's daily life without any intended medical benefit).

But this is beginning to go off topic for this thread, as there is already an active thread dealing with the issues of prohibition, recreational verses abusive drug use, and safe drug use education.

Perhaps you'd like to join in the discussion in that thread? :)
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180727&r=58

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stupid IS as stupid DOES: Police Bust Georgia's First Meth ''Super-Lab''

Invalid Usename said:
[
Even the resulting product coming out of these meth labs proves that they do not know what they are doing. From what I have read, the product anywhere from a 10% to 50% purity level. Which means that between 90% to 50% of their product is impurities (and god only knows what those could be composed of).

Commercial drugs have a consistent high rate of purity (upwards of 99%).

Those facts alone prove that these bath tub drug meth producers don't know what they are doing. :)
[/B]

Well, maybe those figures are accurate for your arrea, but I recently read a report about methamphetamine here in our local paper (middle of South Dakota) that stated although meth purity was comparable to the figures you gave a few years ago, much of the meth being seized from users and labs here has been consistently about 80% pure or better. I personally wouldn't know if this is media exaggeration or fact, as i dispise the tweeker lifestyle that many seem to live around here, and swore the stuff off years ago when I first started seeing signs that it was going to be a huge problem in this area for many people. i can't count the number of friends or acquaitences I have seen go to jail/prison for meth related crimes.

Re: Re: Stupid IS as stupid DOES: Police Bust Georgia's First Meth ''Super-Lab''

Invalid Usename said:
WRONG! Those are cause by extreme sleep deprivation.

Due to the meth. 8)

troublemaker_420 said:
Well, maybe those figures are accurate for your arrea, but I recently read a report about methamphetamine here in our local paper (middle of South Dakota) that stated although meth purity was comparable to the figures you gave a few years ago, much of the meth being seized from users and labs here has been consistently about 80% pure or better. I personally wouldn't know if this is media exaggeration or fact, as i dispise the tweeker lifestyle that many seem to live around here, and swore the stuff off years ago when I first started seeing signs that it was going to be a huge problem in this area for many people. i can't count the number of friends or acquaitences I have seen go to jail/prison for meth related crimes.
80% purity leaves 20% of contaniments. That is far from the 99 percent purity standard of commercial pharmaceutics industry.

There is already a thread where I have discussed the issues regarding drugs, drug related crimes and prohibition. I have extensively addressed these issues in that thread.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180727&r=58

I contend that illegal meth labs are highly dangerous to the general public. Whether or not product purity exceeds that of average illegal labs does not nogate that fact. Nor does it suggest that the resulting product is safe from potential health concerns resulting from these contaniments.

In the case of the commercial pharmaceutics industry, the 1% of existing contaniments are a "known" quanity, have been studied and assessed for their potential health effects, and are registered as a part of the product sold to the general public. Do YOU know what is contained within that 20% of contaniments those labs are producing that you are talking about? Do you have any idea of their health impact?

Edvard Munch said:
Due to the meth. 8)
No Edvard, it is due to a poor life style decision. Drugs do not make people do things which are contrary to their better self interests, people do themselves.

And here is the same smiley right back at you. 8)

:\

Originally posted by *CrystalMeth Bunny*

LMAO

Invalid Usename said:
It can in an indirect way. People stay up for abnormally long periods of time (which can induce psychotic like symptoms), and then they are dopamine deprived at the same time. Mix those two factors together and it can create a serious distortion in one's perceptions and the way that one reacts to those perceptions.

Were just not built to stay awake for long periods of time. Then you have people who do it for many days in a row and something is going to break down.

^^ I've been using meth for about two years and I have to agree with you. If I don't miss more than one night of sleep, eat the next day and wait 4+ days before doing it again, I get very little psychosis and paranoia. It's when your on day four of a binge, haven't eaten in four days, missed the last three nights, that you really notice the psychosis, paranoia and both auditory and visual hallucinations. I've run around a house with a big knife and golf club, trying to find the sources of various noises.
Not something I enjoyed, but I learn from the experiences and stopped binging.

Status
Not open for further replies.