MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

no reasonably employer would refuse you that time off if you have a commitment which pre-dates your accepting a job at the company. just let them know sooner rather than later.

a few years ago, i got a job in san francisco. it was the height of the tech bubble so things were a little different but i accepted a job at a web startup and worked for 3 days before taking over 2 weeks off for burning man. they were pretty cool about respecting my prior plan.

alasdair

Letter of Recommendation --Professor ignoring me

Hi everyone,

I was a research assistant for this professor for over two years. We got really close and I helped her a lot. She wrote a letter of recommendation for me to study abroad in spring 2011. When I was applying for jobs, she offered to write me a lor. I graduated Dec 2012 and she offered to write me a lor in December for graduate school. I gave her the form, stamped envelope around Christmas and told her they needed it by February.

The university didn't received her lor.

Mid-feb: Texted her -no response. Emailed her- no response.
1st week of March: emailed with forms attached in case she lost it?- no response. texted- no response
3rd week: emailed- no response
4th week (today): emailed saying that my application won't go through unless she can send it in by the end of the week. I told her that if she didn't want to write me a lor then she should tell me because I was really counting on her. I told her that I would understand and I'm sorry for bombarding her but I'm really worried about my future.

:(

I don't understand!!!! >.< Even though I graduated in december, I helped her conduct interview/studies for the first two weeks of Jan (10 days!) to finish up a study. :( I'm just so confused. She's written me one before. She's never not replied to my emails/texts. She offered and said OK when I asked her. I can't think of anything I did wrong to upset her?!!? And if she didn't want to write me one anymore--why won't she just tell me? :(

Letters of recommendations are really easy to get from professors. Got another professor you know?

Maybe for you ^ It's so hard for me to get close to prof esp when there's like 200 students in each class!

She e-mailed back! :) I'm so relieved.

Phew! Yeah, profs are very busy and sometimes they forget about things. I've seen many professor's to do lists, and they're freaking crazy. I would have recommended contacting another researcher at the university to go mention it to the prof, that'll work, preferrably someone in the group. This is why its a good idea to become freinds with all your labmates, or at least be cordial enough you can have conversations later.

Maybe for you ^ It's so hard for me to get close to prof esp when there's like 200 students in each class!

She e-mailed back! :) I'm so relieved.

Good for you! Grats.

For future people reading this though, professors know you'll be asking for references. Honestly, it's kinda like job hunting. Send out a bunch of requests and you'll get 2 people who will write one. I literally asked the 2 professors I liked and had As in their classes. One interviewed me and the other said to just show up at x time in her office and she gave it to me.

They know students need them, so they have a template they fill out. It's cheesy and impersonal, but even the awesome professors have a standard template they print out and sign. It's no big deal for them and they know people need them.

I didn't know you could just ask professors whom didn't know you.. :eek: I hope my professors wrote personalized letters for me since I did kind of know them well. xP. >.< But the standard letters are cool.

I'm glad you finally got ahold of her! What are you going to grad school for?

Bunch of free templates for download

You may find these free resume templates to be quite useful. They can all easily be edited in MS Word and they are free from any watermark or logos. Hope this helps.

Asking for a raise

My wife has worked for the same advertising company for 10 years now. She started fresh out of college and started at $27,000 per year in 2003. Since then the company has grown from four employees to 25 hires. My wife is now in charge of basically all employees but they are in sub groups i.e Art director, programmers, graphic designers and a few others I don't know their actual title. My wife has been all these over the ten years. She is now Account executive over all projects and people in these roles. She was given a raise in monies from $57,000 per year in January 2012 to $65,000 per year. Since then the company has experienced a very modest growth due in part to her efforts. She is a little shy and reticent to ask for an increase. I've mapped out a plan for her to explain a rise in pay i.e the economy has expanded 1.8% since the raise she got plus she has brought new clients into the company. My question is how can I convince her to ask for at least a 5% raise or a small partnership in the company? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel she is underpaid and she agrees yet she balks at asking, What to do?

So...you're actually asking how to convince your wife to change her mind and agree with you rather than how to request a raise tactfully... :p

ebola

So...you're actually asking how to convince your wife to change her mind and agree with you rather than how to request a raise tactfully... :p

ebola

Where did you see this? I stated that my wife is too shy to ask for more money. I am trying to help her gain the ability and bravery to walk in and ask for what she deserves. My question was does anyone have any suggestions on better ways to broach the subject with the partners of the agency.

Can she take her clients elsewhere? Or will another firm hire her?

Most people get raises by going to a different company nowadays.

The best way to get a raise/bonus/partnership is to come offer in hand, and give them the option of offering her X$ or y% to keep her around.

Can she take her clients elsewhere? Or will another firm hire her?

Most people get raises by going to a different company nowadays.

The best way to get a raise/bonus/partnership is to come offer in hand, and give them the option of offering her X$ or y% to keep her around.
Pretty much.

Your wife needs to WANT it... is willing to fight for it! That's what people want--assertiveness. Nice people don't necessarily get ahead. I don't understand why it's so important for her to get a raise? She seems content where she is. Why don't you get a job?