MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Job interview, need advice

I will be going to a job interview in a few days for a mechanical egineering position. What should I do to have a good interview? To stand out?

So far, my plan is exibit three positive characteristics that are imo the most important - being honest, being assertive, and being sharp. I'm going try and be very frank with them, to actually tell them honestly about my situation and capabilities. Confidence is always important, it gives the impression that you will be able to handle anything. As for being sharp, a quick mind is always apreciated in a technical field. Sometimes you'll encounter problems that you would never have expected.

What do you think about this? Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.

Mechanical engineering eh? Thats my field as well, and I'm going to an interview in a week here myself. So I'll wish you good luck if you wish me good luck ;).

No, but one thing I would do is a LOT of background research on the company. Find out the products they sell, the products they are researching, strengths and shortcomings of both, etc etc.

^^^
Trainspotting.

Always wear a good quality suit that fits properly. Get a haircut a day or two before and make sure you look as presentable as possible.

Be confident, be knowledgeable, and ask questions. Bring a clipboard and a pen to write down things you find important. Have a firm handshake. Never ask "so do I have the job?". Smile, eye contact is important, try not to be nervous. Best of luck!

Good luck Huntmich.

Don't go high, got it.:D But I was planning on drinking a little before the interview to calm my nerves.

Thanks for the advice wizekrak.

More advices would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

make sure and express how reliable you are...reliability is key for any job

I think the best thing you can do is to go in prepared, but don't try to be over confident, don't expect anything magical to happen. be humble and appreciative.

good luck! :)

If you have any questions about the company, ask.

And try to align your personal goals and principles with the company's. I mean, and really mean it, for your sake.

huntmich said:
one thing I would do is a LOT of background research on the company. Find out the products they sell, the products they are researching, strengths and shortcomings of both, etc etc.

Yep. Have some questions ready to ask that show you have done a little research on them.

Also, I hope you were joking about the drinking. Whiskey breath isn't exactly confidence-inspiring ;).

Good luck! I have one in 4 hours. :)

I like your ideas. A couple things to add: if they gave you any paperwork to fill out, make sure and have it ready. Bring a couple copies of your resume and draft a personalized cover letter addressed to your interviewer (find out their name in advance).

And don't drink first! Make it your reward for after. :) Interviews are extremely nerve-wracking and interviewers would rather see you a little nervous than tanked. :D

Don't drink, they'll smell it for a start, like mariposa said, save it for after.
Maybe be a little early and sit in a Starbucks beforehand with a coffee, going over some notes about situations which may arise in the interview and re-read what the company does etc.
Bring a folder with you, it looks professional and it also allows you to bring a copy of your CV, references, notes and other certificates with you.

Oh yeah, and at the end of the interview when they say "so, any questions?" don't say no. Ask questions, anything that's on your mind, it shows you're interessted. I usually ask what a typical working day is like, how many people applied for the position etc.

Good luck :)

here are a few things

when you shake the hand of the interviewer do NOT even for a split second break eye contact while shaking hands, you would be surprised how many do this,

also if you are asked to name a
shortcoming

say " there is one I tend to get a little too involved in my work sometimes and dont spend enough time taking a break from thinking about my job and I know to do a great job, a person has to do this . "

i know it sounds corny but basically it is sayingNO You do not have shortcoming ! you have to say it with total seriousness . practice how you;d say it , I have gotten nearly every job I ever went for.

here is another

for strong points. it has been your nature to enjoy new tasks and take on new challenges from when you were a kid onwards and it is something that has never gone away, It is what makes a job always interesting for you as long as the job keeps on presenting new responsibilties, you always feel satisfied at work .

also by nature you are a team player, you enjoy helping others at work and youre not afraid to ask ofr help when you need to get more skillfull at this or that .

you get the idea keep forcing it into the postive, but pause once in a while, to show you didnt rehearse this directive, its just the way you are .
the whole
you are excited to be at work , you are the person for the job , etc etc is something that POPs into your head during the interview,

even make it clear that you enjoyed the interview.

and dont be nervous . because FACT people canNOT tell how nervous you are unless your hands sweat !

also study showed peeople wearing glasses get hired over those who dont all thinsg being equal .

dont drink just go in after some deep slow breathing and smile to your self beofre you enter the building

good luck .

Judas said:
I will be going to a job interview in a few days for a mechanical egineering position. What should I do to have a good interview? To stand out?

What do you think about this? Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.
build some stuff and take it in. offer them cake, everyone likes cake.

Thanks for all of your replies.

say " there is one I tend to get a little too involved in my work sometimes and dont spend enough time taking a break from thinking about my job and I know to do a great job, a person has to do this . "

This sounds good...but I wonder if I can I pull it off. I am more of the lay on my ass type of guy.:D

Try to be prepared for the sort of questions they will ask you. The 'do you have any weaknesses' is definitely a possibly question. I wouldn't answer it as stillbeing suggested, unless you are sure you can do it with a straight face. Everybody has weaknesses. They are not expecting you to be perfect, they are expecting you to be honest enough to acknowledge your faults. So do so - but try to turn them into a positive, or show that you are working to overcome them. (and pick something that doesn't relate to the job, e.g. if you were going to be a salesman, don't say "i'm really shy and don't like talking to people").

They will quite possibly use a technique called situational interviewing. This is where they say 'tell us about a time where you.....[whatever]'. This could be something like "where you had a conflict with a co-worker", or "where you had to complete several competing tasks in a short time".

They will probably ask you what you know about the company, or why you want the job. This is often the patsy opening question. If you can't answer thi one well, you probably shouldn't get the job. So, read through the job description carefully, pick out some things you like about the job and be prepared to talk about them. Ditto, research the company (at the least, go to their website and see what they say about themselves).

don't sweat the trick questions (greatest weakness, etc). that's a sign of an inexperienced interviewer.

make the interview easy for the interviewer. no one likes to interview a candidate, particularly a young one or a recent grad. always full of trite answers and stupid parlor tricks to convey enthusiasm. be on time, be prepared, don't go on and on, and do not pepper the interviewer with questions just because you're trying to show off your banal question-asking ability. if the interviewer looks bored, its not you, its the job. don't get nervous, sympathize. lower the tension a notch. when the interview is clearly over, its over. get out. now. sometimes the worst part is getting the candidate from your office to the lobby... they're still running on adrenaline, jabbering about something completely inane, gladhanding people in the hallway that if hired they'll be slicing their tires in two months, being super polite and wearing that "I'm Interviewing!" hideous tie and demonstrating their complete inability to buy decent shoes.

if i ever interview you, and god help you if you enter my den of thieves some day (bring your best back-stabbin' knife, you'll need it!), you'll want to do these coupla things to be considered (i'm not even listening to you during the interview, but if you do ok, i might listen to whoever interviews you on round 2, and that's key: i trust my friends, but i could care less about you):
1) dress elegantly. do not overdress your station, and do not overdress the position for which you are being hired. given the choice, and you want to stand out.... black suit, decent subtly colored shirt (not white), and some really nice fucking shoes that actually coordinate with your outfit. Like, if you're interviewing for a line employee position, i can live with monk straps and lace ups. if for a senior position, those shoes had better be italian, they'd better cost more than two mcdonalds employees earn in a pay period, and they'd better be broken in, but not worn in. only wear a tie if you think you have to.
2) talk about how you're going to succeed in the specific role at hand. the more prepared you are the better. i don't really care how you found out about the role and the specifics of the job, just tell me how you're going to get it done. not in theory, not philosophically, not achieving your career goals, not living according to your values, or based on your past success... none of that. tell me how you are going to get the job that i need done, done.

do those two things, answer my questions using the fewest words to convey the most meaning, and agree enthusiastically with every thing i say (its ok to appear the sycophant in the interview. i want to know that you can suppress your own opinion for mine, the better one. this, btw, is a KEY skill to corporate success) and you are guaranteed to see Round #2, and chances are good I'll send a buddy in who'll pitch you up a big ol' softball.

this post is possibly the most important business book ever written.

stillbeing said:
and dont be nervous . because FACT people canNOT tell how nervous you are unless your hands sweat !

Um, your face goes red, you stutter, your eyes shift, YOU shift around...there are plenty of signs that someone is nervous other than sweaty hands.
But other than that your post was good, not that i have much right to judge.

hmm maybe I was being a bit subjective on tha one. Let me put it this way . I have had my current job for 7 years. before that I had a few jobs for two years each ( 2 year contracts ) and when i got to know the people who interviewed me much later, they all remarked that I was so calm at my interview, like I was talking with someone I knew about something I felt relxed about . ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ? hahaha I was nervous like anyone ( though mostly the days and hours BEFORE the interview and not so much DURING !) but the point is, maybe better put this way : People can tell you are nervous ( unless you are ME--then they have NO idea) but I think they can oly see alittle nervousness, and certainly NOT ALL of it unless you wet your pants and start pulling your hair out and cutting yourself with a razor blade , okay , so does that set you at ease, a little? and as for my response to the "YOUR WEAKNESSES " question . well I bet you will not get this question now that weve dwelt on it , but I have gotten it . I even got it from a top university , which hired me as a full time teacher for a two year contract teacher, which I fulfilled to the day . And they are one of the ones who asked whyI was so calm . Calm ? I hadn't ever even taken a Benzo back then ! I like what everyone said about shoes. I have always slightly UNDERdresssed for interviews hahaha ( i have my OWN secret reasons for this ) but for my next career job which should be in a year ) I will dress very sharp, but not too sharp