[Done] The Bluelight Survey - We need your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
Surveys, surveys, surveys. Seems like there always a new bunch of lab coats that want us to help em with a survey. For some time now we've been happy to help them out, as one thing that Bluelight has always strived for is transperancy, and the only way for "them" to find out about "us" is to participate. The only problem is that we don't get to decide which questions we are asked. The time has come to change that.

Bluelight, in partnership with Dr Cameron Duff of the Australian Drug Foundation and Dr David Caldicott of the Royal Adeliade Hospital, as well as many other like minded people in the harm reduction community, have begun developing a major survey tool which will allow the users themselves to have input into the research. Also we will allow the resulting data to be used by anyone who wants it, as quite a bit of the survey data we have helped provide over the last couple of years has never been released.

So how can you help? By letting us know what you want to be asked. For example it has always bugged me that no survey ever done here has ever asked"Do you test your pills before you buy them?" or "Have you ever refused to buy a pill because of a test result?". What bugs you? Let us know by posting in this thread. Any and all feedback is welcome.

The Bluelight Survey - We need your input!

Surveys, surveys, surveys. Seems like there always a new bunch of lab coats that want us to help em with a survey. For some time now we've been happy to help them out, as one thing that Bluelight has always strived for is transperancy, and the only way for "them" to find out about "us" is to participate. The only problem is that we don't get to decide which questions we are asked. The time has come to change that.

Bluelight, in partnership with Dr Cameron Duff of the Australian Drug Foundation and Dr David Caldicott of the Royal Adeliade Hospital, as well as many other like minded people in the harm reduction community, have begun developing a major survey tool which will allow the users themselves to have input into the research. Also we will allow the resulting data to be used by anyone who wants it, as quite a bit of the survey data we have helped provide over the last couple of years has never been released.

So how can you help? By letting us know what you want to be asked. For example it has always bugged me that no survey ever done here has ever asked"Do you test your pills before you buy them?" or "Have you ever refused to buy a pill because of a test result?". What bugs you? Let us know by posting in this thread. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Maybe study closer to the Australian pill buying customer's behaviour and ask questions from there?

Like image yourself that you are the uninformed buyer and create a "environment" like "image you are at this dealer X place and X has range of XX pills, how you buy them? you test them? or listen to dealer's words of wisdom?" etc etc type of questions...

"Do you study online on chemicals and users reports before you make your first purchase?"

These kind of questions... something bit non-poticial?

Mods make sticky:)

It would help to think up a couple of exaples if I saw a couple of surveys from various sources (anti and pro drugs would help:))

Sorry dont mean to lump extra work on you, but i dont know where to start looking...

Im pretty dumb :\ Not an end result of drug use. Im naturally this dumb;):D

the thing that shits me is people who ask leading questions...

questions need to be open ended... but if they are closed questions, they need to be asked CLEARLY....

I think it would help if we knew (or at least had a rough idea) what the AIMS of said survey are.
Are we trying to find out a demographic of drug users in Australia?
Are we finding out what motivates people to use drugs in Australia?
Are we documenting quantity of drug use/frequency/duration?
Are we looking at purchasing habits, perceived "safety" and efficacy of products obtained (testing/word of mouth/word of dealer)?

It has always interested me that in tobacco smoking terms, we refer to people as having smoked "40 pack years" - an average of a pack a day for 40 years, or two packs a day for 20 years etc etc.
Please, oh please, can we introduce an offical term such as "pill nights", or "Ice weekends"........

DB

It is very important that everyone gets involved with this initiative; it will be bluelight-wide, throughout all forums. Please don't dismiss it as simply another thread, this is a chance where we can provide an alternative view that will be heard and potentially count towards research. Please post up your question, even if you think it isn't valid or has been covered before.

For this to be successful I think everyone should aim to suggest 5 good questions (or more if you can). Your homework has been set! =D

Q1: I would like to explore the possible connection between choice of drug and choice of electronic music. For example do those who prefer psytrance also prefer psychedelics, and hard trance/NRG rate amphetamines as their drug of choice? If there is a link, has their music preference changed because of their drug of choice, or has their drug of choice changed because of their music preference? I think there would be some ground for investigating this, although I suggest there would be many poly-drug users who may incorporate different drugs dependant on the event.

Last edited:
Some possible Q's I'm going think up on the spot right now...

1) What methods do you use, if any to determine the quality of the pill you're purchasing before you decide to ingest it [Don't have a select table, let people write as things may occur that you don't think of]

2) Do you own a test kit?

3) Does your dealer own a test kit?

Hmmm... this is quite a difficult task. All my questions suck. Is it possible to get a copy of that last big questionairre all us BL's undertook about 10months back posted up here. That had a lot of good questions, but while doing it, it was easy to pick out some floors that were worthy of addressing.... I'm going to hunt around for the thread because people made some great comments about the positives & negatives of the survey.

:)

That's the spirit, PP! "For the people, by the people..." We want this survey to truly reflect what you want to know about yourselves, and guide research from other sectors. To do that, we are going to need at least thousands of responses, to get it ranking with the likes of the big European MixMag survey. Tell everyone- ask your Mum! Tell everyone you know who has ever had an opinion on drugs to register and get on board. Tell every Bluelighter you know- at home and abroad; go forth and multiply, you beautiful little flying Bluelight Monkies!
This is the ultimate democratic survey, the likes of which has never ever been attempted, anywhere, and a chance to make your opinions heard in the highest corridors of power. This will only work if all of you- every single one of you- gets involved. If you have the time to log on to Bluelight, you have the time to give us a question, and then answer the survey when it comes out. Your time to be heard has come and if it fizzles now, it may be some time before it comes again. In the words of JFK, "If not you, who? If not now, when?"!!!=D

Maybe also ask... about user's relatives like brothers, sisters, etc etc do they use them or aware or they taught you safe way or you help them?

Is your parents anti-drugs? they know but they "dont want to know your dirty laundry" or they know, but have faith in your judgement? etc etc

Because My father was totally anti drugs... until I introduced him ways to grow weed and he now smokes weed now and then, and I have tested my pills front of my Dad and help him to be aware of the Australian Drug Culture and help and build trust between Father/Son relationship to keep us honest so there's no "weird feelings" if I come home munted off my head and he knows and he will look after me and make sure I am tucked in bed nicely, etc....

He knows that he cant force me to "DONT TAKE DRUGS" but maybe it would be interested to compare other user's parents views/attudues/behaviour?

I have been pondering that myself Cowboy Mac often recently. I think that you have made a very good point. I myself have found that I've been in the scene several years now and have drifted through several music and drug phases. Ive now settled as an avid trance fan who really enjoys psychedelics. I gave up meth a while and now I feel that MDMA has taught me as much as it can and that its time to move on. I think I'll have just a few last gurns and then give it up for good.

A few months ago I attended a Hard NRG event and I found it extremely painful. This headache inducing music and bunch of over tweaked, methed up kids bouncing off the walls nearly drove me crazy. It reminded me of those lab experiments where they give rats meth and then they run on the treadmills non stop. Definitely not my scene. The music and the drugs.

A good bit of trance and a good bit of trippin is all i need from now on I think.

Originally posted by Duckboy
I think it would help if we knew (or at least had a rough idea) what the AIMS of said survey are.
Are we trying to find out a demographic of drug users in Australia?
Are we finding out what motivates people to use drugs in Australia?
Are we documenting quantity of drug use/frequency/duration?
Are we looking at purchasing habits, perceived "safety" and efficacy of products obtained (testing/word of mouth/word of dealer)?

It is all questions relating to the way in which you use drugs, how drugs affect you and your life, perhaps the lives of others around you etc etc. There is no specific scope, it is intentionally being kept as broad as possible.

It has always interested me that in tobacco smoking terms, we refer to people as having smoked "40 pack years" - an average of a pack a day for 40 years, or two packs a day for 20 years etc etc.
Please, oh please, can we introduce an offical term such as "pill nights", or "Ice weekends"........

Don't count on it ;)

I found this one... Not what i was looking for but, people have given their thoughts on it.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16552&highlight=survey

Q) Do you hate it when a kandyed up 16 year old raver takes your spot on the dance floor in the middle of a bush doof when there's miles all around ;)

Q) How do you purchase pills? and if the methods vary, how regularly/how many times have you done this.
ie bought from a stranger in a club vs. Buying from a trusted friend/source

Originally posted by Psychadelic_Paisly
Q) Do you hate it when a kandyed up 16 year old raver takes your spot on the dance floor in the middle of a bush doof when there's miles all around ;)

haha, yes!

Q2: Does continued psychedelic use really change your perspective on the way you view yourself, others, and issues like environmental management. Dr. Rick Strassman who conducted human DMT tests found that initially most people had very dramatic personal revelations, however when he revisited them a year (or more?) later these changes were not acted on and/or no longer present.

I think a good question would be as follows:
Q1: Have you every been present when a friend or acociate has ODed or had a bad experience that required either your atention or medical atention?
-->IF SO:
----->Q1.1: How many such occurences have you been involved in?
----->Q1.2: What drug/s were involved in the incedenent/s
----->Q1.3: What do _you_ see as the cause of the situation/s
----->Q1.4: What steps could be taken by authorities and your peers to avoid such occurences in the future?
----->Q1.5: Where steps taken to avoid such situations in the future?
------->IF NOT: Q1.5.1 What stoped you from avoiding such situations?
IF NOT: Q1.9 What do you believe has helped you avoid the situations described in Q1?

^^^ That's a very good point.

I find I (have to) make a strong effort, especially the days/weeks after a trip, or even pilling experiance to carry through some aspect of what I have 'learnt' from any given experiance. I think a lot of people would agree it is VERY easy to 'forget' about what happened while under the influence.

Q3) Under what circumstances do you used psychadelics.

Q4) Do you use different psychadelics to achieve different 'goals'

Q5) what precautions do you take before a trip?

Q) Do you think Australia should have its own version of ecstacydata.com, where pills can be tested and analysed for their exact composition?

A) Yes

"Survey Says..." (help design a drug survey)

the lovely johnboy has asked us for some help with a drug survey that is in the works. please check out the details below and post some feedback if you have any suggestions:

johnboy said:

A mixed bag of questions:

1) Have you noticed an increase/decrease in the supply of ecstasy and amphetamines over the last 3 years?

2)In what order would you place the ease of availability of (a selection) these drugs?

3) Do you believe the current penalties for minor amounts of ecstasy (less than 5) are appropriate?

4) Do you believe ecstasy is dangerous?

5) If your a regular ecstasy/amphetamines user, do you dislike 'drunk people'? Do you purposely avoid drinking venues?

This is fantastic that this survey is being created. Well done and good work BL staff and the Doc's!

The Bluelight Survey - We need your input!

Originally posted by johnboy

This survey encompasses all questions relating to the way in which you use drugs, how drugs affect you and your life, perhaps the lives of others around you etc, etc. There is no specific scope, it is intentionally being kept as broad as possible. For example, a suggested question is:
Q: Does continued psychedelic use really change your perspective on the way you view yourself, others, and issues like environmental management. Dr. Rick Strassman who conducted human DMT tests found that initially most people had very dramatic personal revelations, however when he revisited them a year (or more?) later these changes were not acted on and/or no longer present.

Original thread in Australian Drug Discussion, use it to look at examples if it's not exactly clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.