• Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Games: Game Reviews by BL'ers/Gen. Discussion

My friends Xbox owns. I'm getting the same mod chip put in. He has

-Every NES game
-Every SNES game
-Every Genesis game
-About 70 N64 games
-Dozens of different backgrounds his xbox theme is "seX BOX"
-He can copy games, so he has about 40 so far.
-And he can copy DVDs.

It only cost him 80 for the big hard drive, and 20 for the chip.

C'mon! Some stoner-slacker has to have played RE:4 on Gamecube. I'm dying for an actual users review. :( :X :D

I know this is a console thread but, whatever...

Is the G-force FX video card adequate for todays games?

GentlemanLoser said:
C'mon! Some stoner-slacker has to have played RE:4 on Gamecube. I'm dying for an actual users review. :( :X :D

Being located on the bottom of the planet means it won't be out here til March. Fuck that's a long time to wait...

RE: 4 is great. It really is a reason for someone over the age of 12 to buy a used Gamecube. I did it, it was worth it. Now Metroid is fun too. Mario Cart is good drunk fun as well.

ANywho, here is my current reviews:

1.) Time Splitters, Future Perfect: what a suprising load of fun! The 1 player is, as usual, not very awe inspiring. It does offer co-op, which not enough PS2 games are offering lately. IF you have PS2 but no Xbox, get it if you love shooters. 2-4 player is the best. It reminds me of the days of Goldeneye on N64. We were going to go to the bar at 9pm but didn't until 11 because of this damn game. A lot of weapons of varying technological level and lots of customizeable options. The online play isn't bad, but like all console online games other than SOCOMII, there aren't many people playing. Oh well. 9 out of 10.

Devil May Cry 3: Well, if you like hack n' slash, you'll like this. Better than 2, but not as good as 1. I dunno, it's fun but I have more interesting fare lately. I'll come back to it. Sound and graphics though, top notch. Really cheesy dialouge. But it is a video game so no foul. 7 out of 10.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory: I'll let you know by the end of the week. So far, it's fuckign great. Pandora Tomorow was so incredibly boring. Especially on the online for PS2. Xbox version is probably superior in that respect, as usual. BUT! Co-op play is VERY nice.

Kuon: Better than Siren, not as good as Silent Hill 4. A novel little game. 3 characters to play. Average. 5 out of 10. Not a total waste of time, but nothing to go out of your way to finish. Not very challenging compared to the Resident Evil series, I finished it in 3 sitting (1 character each night during the week).

I've only played two console games in recent years, there are as follows...

X-Men Legends: I personally found this game very very boring. It was repetitive, the characters and their powers were not unique in any way, shape, or form. Basically there were only three types of characters you could play, which is ridiculous considering all the characters they have in the game. The plot was ok, as well as the graphics and sound, but the gameplay got REALLY boring after awhile. Also, someone else mentioned, in order to max out your characters levels you would need to cheat somehow. This annoys me, I like being able to pimp the hell out of my characters in any RPG. My Rating: 6.5/10

God of War: Now this is a game. I am usually not that hot on action games likes this, but this one blew me away. The graphics, sound, plot, and gameplay were all extremely entertaining to me. I love Greek Mythology, and even though this plot was some kind of demented bastard child of Greek Mythology, it was used very effectively. Everything from the monsters to the NPCs were all directly related to Greek Mythology in some way. Bonus in my eyes.

The graphics in this game were amazing, the environments even more so. I really can't remember any game as graphic as this one. From ripping guys in half to decapitating minotaurs, this game certainly is violent as hell. Also, you get to see lots CGI boobage and bang two chicks at once by mashing buttons on the keypad. The cutscenes are also extremely well done, and are placed perfectly to add to the storyline or just to add some gruesome death scenes.

The gameplay however, was my favorite part of this game. It definately was just a hack and slash at heart, with a few added twists. The combo system and moves are very easy to do, but difficult to master. The "minigames" or cinematic finishing moves, whatever you want to call it, definately add some spice to the carnage.

Lastly, the weapons / magic system is pretty cool in my eyes. I would have liked to have seen a few more types of magic or another weapon, but I was happy with what there was. The main weapon is just hardcore. Period. Blades with chains that spin and hack and slash...wow, badass. My jaw dropped in the first scene at how you can launch guys in the air and whip them around like a slab of meat until they explode.

Anyhow, I could go on for hours about this game, but I'm gonna go play it now. This happens to be the only game I have ever bought that I have replayed on a harder difficulty. I highly recommend playing this one on a higher difficulty level to begin with, as it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

My Rating: 9.9/10 (Could have been a bit longer or had more weapons, but thats just being greedy)

G-force FX will do, but a G-force 4 TI is what i use, but there are a lot of nice cards out there :)

I'll start. Don't lurk kiddies, I went through all that +effort+ moving and renaming threads. I even bitched in support. :D

My recent reviews...

Cold Winter (ps2): Good shooter, but outdated. The music was good, the sound effects low. The storyline, script, etc...really well done, even by normal game vs. FPS standards. But like most FPS games, they don't try hard enough, and slacked on one end to cut costs on another. Worth a rent, and going and turning every corpse you find into stumps w/ an assault rifel is pretty amusing.

God of War: what can I say? It blows Devil May Cry out of the water. The controls are what really make it stand out, and the sound is absolutely amazing. They really put some work into this. Graphics are about as good as you can get on a PS2. Rent it, buy it used, whatever.

Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2: the addition of moving and firing to the control scheme FINALLY makes this game more accessible to people who prefer shooters to adventure games. Still clunky but way more refined. The maps are a lot better too. Graphics are about the same, and like a lot of the later PS2 games they seem to take out color depth / variety to have better looking graphics. The online play is amusing but get stale. This time they added more modes of play, some more combat heavy, so it's good fun. The community though is pretty small. I'd say buy it used for fun.

I have two PS2 reviews in this weeks Drum Media

GOD OF WAR (PS2)

You're on a mission from God and you've got the blues, but this ain't what you're thinking. This awesome platformer introduces Kratos, a hard mofo on a quest for redemption. Receiving instructions from the Gods of Olympus such as Zeus and Poseidon, Kratos battles a host of beasts including Minotaurs and Cyclopes on his path towards Ares, the God of War – and once you've seen him, you'll understand why the Gods need some help. Keeping with the standard modus operandi for a platformer, "God of War" presents you with a very linear but very playable quest. The puzzles and fight dynamics are very well designed and although it's a button basher at heart, it's immensely playable. The graphics are spectacular - From title screen, through beautiful cutscenes, to end credits, the narrative is as smooth as it could be. Also, this game manages to create astonishingly long draw distances during the outdoor sections, showing areas in which the player was previously battling or is destined to go. This has some of the best graphics I have ever seen on PS2. If you enjoy cartoony ultraviolence with a little nudity as much as I do, this will satisfy. Solid stuff.

Fantastic Four (PS2)

Before I start this obligatory review of an obligatory game based on an obligatory film adaptation of yet another classic (albeit one-dimensional) comic book series, it's needless to say that there is actually very little to say. Not that it's bad - it's exactly as expected. These characters leave very little room for expansion, lest they become something else. The PS2 game itself is a nifty beat-em-up platformer that follows God of War in two aspects: power ups and mini-game finishing moves. Where GOW is targeted towards a mature(ish) audience, FF is geared towards kids, with uninspiring results. The game has some clipping problems, which halt characters
meters from walls and sometimes screw with the fight dynamics, and this results in a subtle lack of control over your character, which can get a little annoying. On the plus side, the ability to switch or combine the four characters in some scenes keeps things a little interesting, the co-operative mode
sounds promising and it's good to see the Moleman in action. Ultimately, kids who love the film will get a real kick out of this game. Sadly for everyone else, it's the standard "rushed to coincide with cinema release" job.

lol this thread has become an orphaned child who has emotional and physical problems that no parent wants. I do understand though. I do.

Originally posted by DigitalDuality
lol this thread has become an orphaned child who has emotional and physical problems that no parent wants. I do understand though. I do.

lol. well, ya know. communication problems and stuff. i think its found a home for now.

I cant wait until some handheld games come out that I actually want to play. :( I've had this ds for 9 months and it's collecting dust. I keep playing the same game for my psp out of boredom. I think I'm going to have to move back to my gba.

I know some of ya'll still have old games for cheap you might wanna get...here's your reference.

For the newer games...is there a current thread to merge this with?

Closest thing I can think of is just the whatcha playin threads, but not really. Pretty awesome reading the old posts, though. Guess I can just archive unless you have a better idea.

i wish there was as much interest now as there was in the olden days.

i made a nostalgia thread too a while back.