Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

opium questions

Couple of quick Q's hoping for A's

What time of year in a climate similar to melbournes is it best to pick poppies?

How does one prepare opium from poppies to be smoked?

What are the best ways to reduce harm?

Or is it just best to stear completely clear?

P. somniferum dont like to be too crowded and they do not respond well to being transplanted. sprinkle your seeds over the soil where you want the plants to grow and water in. sow seeds either spring (now) or early autumn. as plants pop up thin them out to about 1 per 25-30 cm. water as required

My Nanna used to grow bread seed poppies every year and they always looked amazing. Here is what she used to do:

Prepare the soil by loosening to a depth of around 3 feet, they put down a tap root which is quite long.

Sow seed before winter starts as this provides the plants a chance to develop good root structure (very important), once summer comes around they will take off into a full vegetative stage and reach about chest height.

By early to mid summer they will blossom with the most amazing large petalled flowers ranging from White and Purple to Reds, Yellows, Pinks, Purples and everything in between. Having a few varieties can make a garden look extremely beautiful.

Depending on the variety they may split of smaller branches. Tazzies don't seem to do this as much as other varieties. If your planting for the beautiful flowers choose something other than Tazzies as in my opinion they always seem pretty dull and down hold their petals for long.

It is possible to plant later in the year however results never seem quite the same.

Poppy plants

OK, so lets say I was growing to grow some poppy plants (legal kind, of course), would there be any problems planting them in the next week or so?

I have read threads where people say that you should plant them August-September and they will appear in November; then again, I have read threads where people say they will grow despite yourself.

Lets say I'm going to turn over some soil in my back yard, plant the seeds, water occasionally. Will they grow OK?

Yer, they should grow, depend where you live. i've grown em before with little success, I got 100 seed's from OS and only twenty grew. But the ones that reach maturity worked a treat.

I used soil 20 % perlite 70% and 10$ propergating sand. so maybe wrong mixture.

thanks for the reply...im in brisbane, if that helps

if you think ur soil mixture was wrong, is there one u recommend?

because honestly i dont know anything about fertilizers, soils and that sort of thing...anyone got any tips?

Don't fertilise your plants when they are still small. I had about 40 babies all ~2inches tall. I thought i would give them a boost and sprinkled some general garden fertiliser on them and gave them a nice watering.

ALL of them died the next day :'(

I found a nice analogy on the net "It's like feeding your baby a big fat steak"

Hopefully this will prevent someone else's heart from breaking :(

Poppy Plants

Hello everyone... I am wondering how long does it take for a poppy plant to fully mature from a seed? Also what is the best time of the year to plant them and what is the best type of soil and fertilizer to use? If anybody knows of some good sites where I could find some more information that would be great thanks.

Depends where you live. In southern australia late autumn is the best. It takes about a few months at the most to get your pods.

[EDIT: Removed link. Lil Angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's been a lot of poppy related threads on here as of recent. This one in particular might be useful. Also, this reply in another thread might be useful :p

Last edited:
My relatives had the most awesome collection of poppy's growing beautifully in the back yard, they knew they were the real deal too!!! Even though my parents are incredibly open minded (Hippy generation) they wouldn't let me harvest them
:-(.... probably cos they know my history!

Maybe they did this for themselves!!!!!

It's amazing how many Opium poppies grow around various neighbourhoods

X Isis

My relatives had the most awesome collection of poppy's growing beautifully in the back yard, they knew they were the real deal too!!! Even though my parents are incredibly open minded (Hippy generation) they wouldn't let me harvest them
:-(.... probably cos they know my history!

You let them stop you? :)

I am very interested in this thread- has any one grown the pinker variety? I'll check back with the actual species name. Go opium ftw!!!!! :)

Mr Blonde said:
You let them stop you? :)

LOL, I'm certain they would have noticed the fact that the poppies were milked or 'disappeared' at the very same time I visited them!!!

They went to seed however, so another batch I assume will be around next season!!! :D :D <3 :D

X Isis

Unless you have something that adds value to the thread please do not hit the reply button.

Thanks

Lil angel15

lil angel15 said:
Unless you have something that adds value to the thread please do not hit the reply button.

Thanks

Lil angel15

And deleting my post informing certain ppl that they are seriously incriminating them selves's by admitting to the cultivation of illegal opium poppys(assuming they live in Australia) adds value to the thread?

Theres so much self incrimination in this thread its not even funny, you would think it would have been closed by now.

Last edited:
She was talking about my comment that got deleted about how most people on BL incriminate themselves... Just check out the cannabis forum.. there are people showing pics of their crops.. and look at the gallery. its their choice. i dont see a raid happening because of someone saying an accidental plant is growing in their back yard... thats like saying i live on a farm and have cows, whats a dose for shrooms....

I have got the "Purple Haze" Strand of poppy seeds, supposedly they are the ons that are grown in Afghanistan something...
Any ways I am in south east Queensland and would like to grow these I know to sow them around August/September, though I am wondering what is the best type of soil to use should I use one high in nutrients or does it not really matter? I have bought some bulb food to mix in with the potting mix do you think that will help me get bigger bulbs or will it just make the flowers more colorful?
I am also wondering how often would I have to water them when I sow the seeds? And I have heard that they like companionship so should I maybe place the stronger ones together so they grow better?
Last thing when I score the bulbs will it still flower normally or will it just stay closed?