• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a Genpro50 I got of ebay in the late 1990's. It was great for the price but it drifted 5mg all the time.

Moved to a VIC 123 a few years ago and once you get it set up it's about as good as they get for $$$ for 1 dry powder dose. Gelcapped 2C-E that were wieghed iver and over came up 20mg to 23mg but put on the VIC they were 11mg to 14mg.

This was pretty common - 2CB at 20mg on the Genpro50 would be 14mg-15mg on the VIC 123. Put the Genpro on Ebay for $50 BIN.. peace out.

drlovewhiz said:
I see only a few people who posted on this thread mentioned how important it is to not only invest in a scale but to also invest in an accurate set of calibration weights.

Let's please have this message spread every so often in this thread. A set of good quality calibration masses ranging from 1mg to 100mg costs less than $40 least time I checked.

Otherwise, there is no way for you to know that what your "precision" scale reads is actually the amount which is upon it. It could be reading "10mg" when there is 20mg on the pan - no way to know except with a known thing which weighs 10mg to test it out.

^For scales that wiegh grams you can test it with a nickel. It will always weigh 5g. Other coins weight's vary from say penny to penny, or dime to dime. So if you put a nickel on a (grams) scale and it weighs anything except 5g, it's off. This method has never failed me.

^ Great news for pot dealers, utterly useless for users of potent psychedelics except for mushrooms. Coins in circulation can vary by several tens of milligrams depending on their extent of usage.

^Your absolutely right. That method is only accurate for measuring grams.

What's a good milligram scale?

I'm looking online at prices for scales accurate to 1mg and I'm finding some scales that are suspiciously cheap... followed by the extremely steep jump in price on analytical balances.

Can anyone recommend a good scale in the 1-2mg range? I really need at a bare minimum +/- 2mg accuracy but 1mg would be best.

Sorry if this doesn't go here but I figured people in PD would be more likely to know the good scales than people in other parts of the forum.

americanweigh makes a model that is accurate to 2mg (they advertise accurate to 1mg but its probably not usually). Its a good little scale if you don't want to weigh things less than 15mg or so. Ebay usually has those (sometimes labeled as Jprecision, which is the exact model just relabeled).

The lowest I feel safe weighing is about 20mg doses. Anything less than that you need to either have a tryptamine (which I feel less cautious dosing a bit overboard) or do a liquid measurement (luckily phens are really stabile in liquid).

There's also a big and dandy scale thread which has some good info.

Acculab PP-2060 D. Not the cheapest one around perhaps but I've now had it for a number of years and am happy with it.

I had a GemPro 50 that was actually extremely accurate (I'd just put my dose in a capsule after pre-weighing the capsule to get its weight) unlike most reviews of them. But that's long gone.

I'm looking at the GemPro 150 though, which is apparently +/- 1mg accuracy now and looks like a much better-made product than the GP50 was.

And I couldn't find that scale thread. I knew that there was one but I didn't know it was a big and dandy. I'll go find that now. Thanks :)

EDIT: Ouch Ximot. 375 is somewhat steep right now. I may go with it in the end but I'm going to research the alternatives first. I *KNOW* that's a great scale.

Anything reading at that sort of level nees to sit in it's own draught proof container to be of any use; preferably on a sloid stone base as well

Also, if you buy any of the cheap ones off ebay, make sure you weigh the dose multiple times and take an average of the readings, especially if the dose is in the sub 20mg range.

I won't buy one of the cheap ones off of eBay. If I was going to go to that level, I'd just get another GemPro 50 and call it quits for the day. ;)

Just to give you guys an idea, the 150 looks heavily evolved from the 50.

150:

myweigh_gempro150_large.jpg

oldschool 50:

gemprosm.jpg

What we really should be doing is getting 2mg or 1mg precision test weights (they're only about 34 for a class 2 without certification, 60 or so for a class 2 with certification) and putting them on our scales so we can really see and report how accurate they are.

Last edited:
I really see no need to be that accurate but maybe its me. I consider myself pretty darn safe but I've gotten to the point where a couple mgs either way isn't a big deal, even with 2CE and 2CB which are probably the most dosage sensitive chems I take.

but harm reduction and all that is good.

Well, I may be working with 4-HO-MET though... which is said to be more potent than Psilocin... measuring 20mg and being off by 4mg is not an option.

Acculab VIC-123 for $250.

Damn, you'd think I have stock in Sartorius for all that I go on about with this thing, but it really is a good fucking scale for the money.

Merged a question about scales and the responses into the Big and Dandy Scale Thread. FYI, Cat Who Is Magical, we've added a lot of Big and Dandy and other threads to the forum, and the Best of PD page now has many more links than it used to. So before posting any new threads about topics that have probably come up before, you should check the Best of PD page at least, and post in the appropriate thread. :)

What happened to the best of topic? I can't find it when I search (only keyword is "best" for topic title), and it's no longer pinned (why anyway?)...Eh, nevermind, found it. Might as well bookmark this one, it's a handy one to have quick access to.

Anyway, might as well say something that's on topic..

So I'm considering replacing my current scale, that a friend has been so courteous to let me borrow for awhile now. It's alright (the $80 MGS has linked to in this topic). But it's about time I get a real nice one, or one that fits my needs.

I pretty much know which one I would like to get, the Acculab VIC-123, as it's reasonably priced and seems very nice. But I've also seen the GemPro 150 and the basically same thing, American Weigh minipro-30.. Both are just a little bit cheaper than the VIC. I'm thinking that the VIC-123 is going to be more accurate, more consistently, but I can't say for sure.

Would you guys recommend that I just spend the extra cash and get the VIC, or pick one of the other two? I'm thinking the VIC-123 anyway, but if the other two work just fine, might as well save myself the money.

Last edited:
Xorkoth said:
Merged a question about scales and the responses into the Big and Dandy Scale Thread. FYI, Cat Who Is Magical, we've added a lot of Big and Dandy and other threads to the forum, and the Best of PD page now has many more links than it used to. So before posting any new threads about topics that have probably come up before, you should check the Best of PD page at least, and post in the appropriate thread. :)

Just to defend myself, I'd like to point out that I did use the search engine but "scale" and "scales" turns up a ton of matches.

Where is this Best of PD page?? There used to be a link that took you right to all the Big and Dandy threads stickied here a long time ago. That apparently is gone now. So I didn't really know where to look. I can probably run a search for it and find it now that I know the name of it but without the name, I didn't know what I was looking for lol.

In any case...

Thugg said:
So I'm considering replacing my current scale, that a friend has been so courteous to let me borrow for awhile now. It's alright (the $80 MGS has linked to in this topic). But it's about time I get a real nice one, or one that fits my needs.

I pretty much know which one I would like to get, the Acculab VIC-123, as it's reasonably priced and seems very nice. But I've also seen the GemPro 150 and the basically same thing, American Weigh minipro-30.. Both are just a little bit cheaper than the VIC. I'm thinking that the VIC-123 is going to be more accurate, more consistently, but I can't say for sure.

Would you guys recommend that I just spend the extra cash and get the VIC, or pick one of the other two? I'm thinking the VIC-123 anyway, but if the other two work just fine, might as well save myself the money.

I think its pretty much true that the Acculab is the best bet. Its tried and true. Anything else is going to be a walk in the dark in one way or another.

My reason for even asking is because I would like to not spend a ton of money on a scale. I will if I have to... but being that I got off with a GemPro 50 for quite some time (better part of 9 months to a year) without issue, I may get the 150 anyway and save the extra ~100-125 dollars over the Acculab.

Status
Not open for further replies.