• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Cessation Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 16.

Hmmm... after taking this break (longest I've had in 4 years - which was my starting point) I really don't think I want to go back to being a stoner again. I'm definitely NOT saying I will never smoke again, because that is not true. But, I like to be able to think, and I like having energy and feeling vibrant. I feel fine without smoking... I just don't need it like I was using it. It's not even because of being in rehab. If I really wanted to smoke, I would because I'm 18 and I don't have to be in there.

I just... don't want to get back into the daily routine of smoking like 4 times a day. Right now, I feel more like the 'me' I was before I started with weed, and that is definitely a good thing for me. All the smoking had me so depressed... but hey, fire up another bowl and forget about it. It was a vicious cycle.

Maybe every other weekend or something after I get out of rehab.

Good for you. Keep pot as a recreational thing, and also when or if ya even do smoke again... keep it at a low dose.. few tokes off a pipe... or share a joint with some friends.. Enjoy :)

I'd also like to say to everyone.. Try not to have much access to benzos/opiates.. I know they may help with anxiety during the withdrawl period.. But since you're off pot, it's so easy to get onto another drug.. and you do not want to start being addicted to benzos or opiates... that's 1000 times worse than pot. I started being an alco when I slowed down on pot (when me main stoner mate moved away for a while..)

Kicking The Habit

I am sorry to announce that i have quit smoking pot. Easier said than done however. I am just not accomplishing things, my personality has died, money is all going to pot, i need to move on and get my life straight. But i dunno if im gonna be able to do it. ive smoked weed everyday for a year and have been smoking about 3 years. When im not high, i only think about puffing that sweet cheeba. OH GOD...im gonna die. Please help! How do i do this? do i quit cold turkey? or should i just "cut back"? because im afraid if i don't quit now ill just forget i ever realized this and fall back into the hole ive dug. I just wanna get drunk and party, no more of this smoking and sitting there speechless in some smelly ass guy's apartment for the rest of my life. HELP!

Trust me, cutting back will not work, if you are a real pothead. Cold turkey is the only way. I'm 3 weeks in, and I feel great man.

you can do it

yea im on day 2 right now and it's not too bad but i mean im always thinkin bout it. I do love weed, but i need to get straight. For my family, lost friends, and for myself. But i do need help so ill check this thread a lot and support from all is what i need.

I agree with john mason.

I am on day 22 now, and I do feel a lot better. I have my ups and downs, and sometimes my downs are VERY low.. but overall, I feel like I'm a lot more clear-headed and emotionally stable.

Sure, it'll be nice to smoke again, but once you get past the first week of being sober, you really don't field for it much anymore and the only problem (which I'm still dealing with) is keeping myself occupied with other activities.

Good luck.

"Remember how surreal everything felt the first few times you got stoned? Well, now if I DON'T smoke up, I feel a hint of that fuzzy, surreal feeling all the time. It's like the world isn't real -- it's just a movie of myself that I'm watching, and can turn off at any time. "

EXACTLY! It sucks really bad...i am pretty depressed and cant really do anything. my mind feels occupied with absolutely nothing...hope i sleep tonight...

Hi all *keebler gives a wave*. Long time lurker, finally decided to join since I'm at the 2 month mark of quitting. I quit cold turkey, and yes, I still crave it. Some evenings are especially hard.

The flipside to that is I have more energy, short term memory feels refreshed and I'm just not that 'dopey' any more. My DH knows how much I love pot but has no idea I was on a path to full blown addiction. But he's clueing into it now 'cos I talk about it an awful lot and how much I miss it, etc. At my lowest point, I scraped resin outta my bong and smoked it. My DH came home from work and used the word "desperate" in a joking way to describe what I'd done and that's what made me quit.

I think the key to quitting, even if it's just for a short while, is to take up a bunch of different hobbies. I occupy my free time with a lot of cardio, weight training, shopping with girlfriends, and visiting bluelight. Plus I do a lot of baking, hehe, like literally, I bake pastries, cakes, cookies, biscotti (minus the 'additives') :(

Hang in there, and good luck :)

I gave up for 6 days and it was a total nightmare - I've been a heavy compulsive toker for 15 years - I think it above a certain heavy usage level withdrawl is more common & dependance/compulsion is worse - cannabis has always been hailed as non addictive but for some of us it's the next best thing. been trying to give up for years due to the cost not only to the pocket & lungs but due to the anxiety & paranoia. one can give up but tends to fall straight back into a all day pattern at the slightest chance - I would like to give up but am beginning to suspect I never will now - anyone starting weed I'd say enjoy it but becareful about starting daily use - for quite a large number it's a habit that is hard to break

Have to agree with staying off the benzos and opiates.
Tyrosine is really great with anxiety and the unpleasant feelings of going cold turkey. They give you a nice feeling of well being, that is usually far out of reach when stopping. Just be careful not to take them too late in the evening or they may make the insomnia worse.

yeah I have tried coming off using heroin & benzo years - didn't work for me

& both can cause problems of there own of course

I’ve been a daily smoker for about 15 years, and as tribute to this thread, I’ve decided to have another try at stopping for a while. It’s now the end of day 4 and I feel like shite; paralysed like a rabbit in headlights and can’t really be arsed with doing anything.

The last time I tried to stop, my partner became so annoyed with my whining he went out and scored for me. That was a tad humiliating. To be fair to myself, since October, I have managed to stop all other drugs including alcohol and tobacco.

Good luck to you all, you’re most definitely in my thoughts.

uniSTONER no more (hopefully)

Even though I might be a little late to hop on the bandwagon, I want to quit too! At the moment I am definately in a slump. I cant blame weed for any of my problems, but my current (ab)use has to stop. I am a heavy smoker (over a year, daily) but this thread gives me hope.

I am going to go out tonight and get really stoned, have fun and quit cold turkey come midnight. Will report in tommorow.

And thanks to John and/or whoever keeps this thread alive. Tell us more about the benefits of sobriety!

Hey man im at school now class is about to end, Glad to hear your going for it it is GREAT I will post more when I get home

Good luck and stay strong!

Well, as promised I am reporting in. Went out and got really baked last night but I had my last cone by about 10 pm. Going to try and fill my days up and not talk to my stoner friends.

/Afraid

That's a good idea. For my first week I tried my hardest to stay away from all the cheifing, if your serious about it, don't put yourself into those situations. The first week is the hardest, it was so nerve wracking for me. I got random anxiety, was irritable all the time... the whole thing, I wanted to smoke so bad...

But after like 10 days, I didn't really care much anymore. Today is like... day 26 I think for me. After coming out the the "fog" I was in all the time as a constant pot smoker, I have had ample time to reflect on why I was doing it and what it was doing for me. Honestly, it was self-medicating. I did it because I was depressed but in retrospect I realized that the pot was also making me MORE depressed which results in a very vicious cycle. "Oh well I'm feeling down, I need to smoke" see what I mean??

I really liked who I was 4 years ago, the pre-pothead me. I loved the way my mind worked and was very comfortable in my identity, the my unique character. Once I started smoking I was caught up in a whirlwind of using all kinds of stuff(pot, tripping, experimentation) etc and for the most part I am over all that now, although I will still love tripping and will always do it on occasion. I never tried coke, meth, heroin, etc cuz I know I have an addictive personality and I don't care how good the high is, I'm never going to risk it.

But back to the point, I feel like the OLD me again, and that is an awesome thing. It made me realize that I thougt for some reason (still havent figured it out) being a pothead was the right thing to do for me... but I really don't think it was. I am naturally a smart, concise, and heavily thinking person, and I like being able to use my mind without any impairments. My mind is like my home, and I like it to be clear and functioning at it's highest potential.

After a few years of heavy pot use you tend to forget what you were even like before you started, which happened in my case... but now I remember. And I am fine with who I am, and I don't really need weed to make me feel good about myself anymore. I was in such a deep hole that I wondered how I would ever climb out of it... I didn't think I would EVER quit smoking weed. Just to let you know the state of mind I was in, so if I was successful, anyone can be. But you really do have to want it, the first week as I said is very tough, but once you get past there it gets much easier with every passing day.

Every time you think about lighting up, just smoke a cigarette or something, or think about how burned out you are from all the bud you've smoked... and what you'll feel like after the high wears off. Worse! It's just a temporary thing and the truth is, you don't need it. Time takes care of everything. You'll see what I mean if you make it for like 3 weeks. It's definitely tough, but it is definitely very worthwhile also.

This is only my path, I'm not trying to inflict it on anyone else, just voicing my experience with quittin' bud.

Stay strong bro, I know you can do it. =D

john u are exactly like me! ur story is exactly what ive gone through, after reading that it does make me feel better about quitting because i DO want to be the old me. I just fucking love weed and it's real tough, but honestly i would love to put it behind me and start constructing my life. Thanks for the support!

Thanks for the post, John. Its day 2 for me - so far so good. Last night was tough because I just sat in the car while the bong got passed around. Aaargh.. so boring. I was very cranky and fuck my friends suck when I'm sober.

Weed may not be physically addictive but (for me at least) its a constant psychological battle. One part of me is begging, begging for just one more cone. Remind me never to try opiates!

lol, Yeah man, I definitely hear that... I've tried Vidoden a couple times, but that's pretty much it. If I tried Oxy or some of the better more euphoric ones, I would havee been in some deep shit I'm guessing. I know what you mean about it being tough about not accepting a bong hit or whatever, but it will pass.

At the point I'm at right now, seeing my friends smoking actually makes me glad I'm not doing it. I just remember how burned out I was, and I look at them when they're high, they look happy but when its over, they're like "shiit man, we need more weed" and then I just thank myself that I'm not in that cycle now...

And then a few days ago I was like "Hey man, those pictures Tom took in the alley were great, he sent them to me last night." My friend Al was like "what pictures??" Horrible memory... also makes me glad I'm not like that anymore although my memory has gotten a lot better I bet it will take many months if not years to go back to normal. Realistically though, I don't think my memory will ever be like it was before I started smoking... :(

I’ve just completed my first 7 days, and it really hasn’t been as difficult as I’d imagined. I haven’t been able to hang out with toking friends, nor tolerate irritating idiots. But as long as I keep myself occupied, then no real problems - well, apart from sleeping!

Status
Not open for further replies.