• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random What good things/random acts of kindness did YOU do?

I spent a long time teaching an older foreign (Asian?) lady how to fill her tires with air at the gas station. She barely spoke English and was almost in tears because she was on her way to an appointment and had no clue how to use the air machine.

I showed her where it said "inflate to 44 psi" on the tire and did the first one, then watched while she did the other three. She tried to give me a few dollars but I refused and settled for a hug!

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

Aw, that's a nice one. :) This was a couple of years ago but it reminded me, I was at a gas station and a lady was there and after a few minutes of thinking about it, she approached me. She said she felt like an idiot but she left her wallet at home and was on the way to pick up her kids from school and was out of gas. She asked if I had a few dollars. I only had my card so I said I'd buy her a gallon but I bought her 3. She was so shocked, it made me feel good, but also kind of bad that she was so surprised someone would actually help her.

Fed the ferals and helped move neighbors pro-bono.
I get mine on the back-end. :)

Fed abandoned and feral cats. Gave them love and attention.

I spent a long time teaching an older foreign (Asian?) lady how to fill her tires with air at the gas station. She barely spoke English and was almost in tears because she was on her way to an appointment and had no clue how to use the air machine.

I showed her where it said "inflate to 44 psi" on the tire and did the first one, then watched while she did the other three. She tried to give me a few dollars but I refused and settled for a hug!

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

I commend you for helping an old lady, they're so sweet..... sometimes. A side note, the pressure stated on the tire is actually the maximum pressure its rated for, you can usually find recommended tire psi in the door jamb of a car/truck.

Bought a homeless guy something to drink.

Gave some wood and xan to a less fortunate bud....

Fed abandoned and feral cats. Gave them love and attention.
Every eve at 5 PM sharp. :) Feel like I get as much from this interaction as they. Seems to keep me "grounded" at times and these little buggers have helped me through some of my worst times. Love my babies.

Every eve at 5 PM sharp. :) Feel like I get as much from this interaction as they. Seems to keep me "grounded" at times and these little buggers have helped me through some of my worst times. Love my babies.

Absolutely true. :) They come to me sometimes for love before food. They're so wonderful and wild. I've been missing them terribly (someone else goes if I don't). Maybe tonight? :(

Absolutely true. :) They come to me sometimes for love before food. They're so wonderful and wild. I've been missing them terribly (someone else goes if I don't). Maybe tonight? :(
Yep... some will come for love before eating. Makes the day worth all the BS what may or may not have happened.
And to leave for a while and trust another to feed and water them gives me restless nights, sometimes. Last time I came back half the colony had worms. Dude had been feeding them raw eggs and whatever. Just a pain as to de-worm these little buggers can be a trick if use milk as a medium. Gotta beat 'em all back (not literally) so the one being treated gets its proper dosage.
Do they give you paperwork with tags if you TNR where you are residing?

Yep... some will come for love before eating. Makes the day worth all the BS what may or may not have happened.

Yes and it shows that animals need love too, because these are hungry cats (I can't go during the day because I have to scale a wall in a commercial area). They're so sweet!

And to leave for a while and trust another to feed and water them gives me restless nights, sometimes. Last time I came back half the colony had worms. Dude had been feeding them raw eggs and whatever. Just a pain as to de-worm these little buggers can be a trick if use milk as a medium. Gotta beat 'em all back (not literally) so the one being treated gets its proper dosage.

Luckily me and my friend/counterpart coordinate food. And there's a cat group that looks in on them once in awhile and I can call if they need vet care. So except for the elements and the sick humans who try to hurt them (grrrr), they're doing okay.

Do they give you paperwork with tags if you TNR where you are residing?

The cat group had them neutered and microchipped. They also are ear-tipped. I'm sure the microchips list the cat group as the contact.

I like what the cat people group does, but I don't like their rules. Like not giving them affection (it's not like they trust strangers at all), especially the abandoned ones who are used to getting love from trusted humans, but I appreciate them helping out. It's worth a few lectures.

I admit that when the last feral one came up for affection, probably the first she ever had, I smiled for miles. :)

1: They also are ear-tipped. I'm sure the microchips list the cat group as the contact.
2: I like what the cat people group does, but I don't like their rules.
3: I admit that when the last feral one came up for affection, probably the first she ever had, I smiled for miles. :)
1: No microchips but they are registered and have a small tattoo on the bum when returned (and left ear tipped - think it's an accepted standard). Rabies vaccinated, and a couple other "well-ness" tests are done before release. So far so good. :)
2: No rules (they seem grateful to have anyone care for the critters). Of course look out for their well-being and feed/water but other than that.... We can even get food stamps for each registered cat in "our" colony. Pretty cool. Filed for it and got it but never went to get the food. Maybe this year...? So lazy after work and would probably have to take a day off, anyway. I'll figure it out.
3: Their trust in me may indicate that I may not be such a bad guy, after all. Animals seem to see me as "friendly" and when they show it is primal and instinct... very where I wanna be.

Glad to have someone to chat occasionally with about this subject: Sure there are 1000000 forums but to be amongst my "peers' is kinda special, to me.
Peace

Hello everyone. I am Brazilian and my English is very weak.

Recently I gathered 9 obese people and proposed a game. For 8 weeks, whoever loses the most weight (in proportionate amounts) will receive a prize. The prize is of considerable value to the participants.

Every week I weigh these people and create a line chart (x-axis = week, y-axis = % emaciated). The lines in the graph look like a race towards the sky. lol

Thanks for reading.

Why the fuck would I waste my time being nice to some random person? I mean seriously, expend energy to bring happiness to a person I don't even know. As long as I am not succeeding at doing many intentional acts of kindness towards those I do know, like my family and friends, then I will not waste any time being nice to people I don't know, nor genuinely care about.
Because if we all done a tiny bit to help others the world would be a much much better place just from small actions. But no I just sit depressed thinking no one's genuine so the cycle continues.

Hello everyone. I am Brazilian and my English is very weak.

Recently I gathered 9 obese people and proposed a game. For 8 weeks, whoever loses the most weight (in proportionate amounts) will receive a prize. The prize is of considerable value to the participants.

Every week I weigh these people and create a line chart (x-axis = week, y-axis = % emaciated). The lines in the graph look like a race towards the sky. lol

Thanks for reading.
Are you documenting/videoing it?

I always smile at people.

I was raised in the south too & if you didn't say "yes sir", you had your ass beat.
So now I'm one of those people that always has to say "thank you sir" and "thank you mam".

Just these small things can make a big difference. I find when I run into a really bitchy cashier or one with an attitude, it can kinda ruin my mood too & then I feel angry.

But I've been learning to ignore the rude people and just keep on smiling. It's contagious & I love it.

Are you documenting/videoing it?
Document only the weights.

My motivation for making this game was to understand how much gamification stimulates weight loss, as they are refractory obese, slimming and the psychology of healthy habits have had limited success. Nothing too scientific and organized.

Good thread topic. Doing good things is good for the soul. It has reminded me to do more. I have in the past helped to stop cats and dogs being eaten by spreading awareness online e.g. Facebook ads.

I will rsad the rest of this thread for ideas. I like the one about trying to make random people smile. That's a good challenge and should make oneself feel better too.

On Saturday I tried to use a 2019 gift card for the Indian restaurant, from right before COVID. The owner explained to me that they had to pay the $25 a year after it was issued.

I normally probably would have thrown a little temper tantrum, but I was in a good mood so I just let it go. It's their loss though anyway, because I was planning on spending a lot more than the gift card and ordering enough food for my whole family.

Pay for usually old ladies food randomly. Buy friends groceries. Give random people MASSIVE discounts at work.
If I see someone, especially a young person busting ass at work, I hand them a 20 thank them for there hustle

We tip people massive tips for basic stuff.

I gave my place inline at a internet service provider help dest.

I paid for a guys soda once , like I didn't even hesitate, he was with his 5 yr old son. You could tell it made a huge impact on him. Looked like he was having a stressful day, it was the smallest gesture but he looked like he was going to cry. It's was years ago and I still remember.

When I was down on my luck , I went through a McDonald's drive through late after a long shift at work. I was trying to feed me and a homeless friend for 5 bucks. They asked if I wanted anything else on the speaker, I laughed and said yea but I'm broke. We got to the window, gave us a huge bag with 30 nuggets, apple pies, frys , two massive drinks, all for 5 bucks.

The next week I got paid , I went back with a 20$ bill and couldn't find the manager that had hooked us up , I described him but no one knew him. I never found that mistery man but it left a profound impact on me.

Now days I've clicked up with other jr. Philanthropist and we've paid peoples rent, given cars away. I want to open a half way house maybe some day.