• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random What good things/random acts of kindness did YOU do?

I can't remember the last time I did a random act of kindness.

At least now that I'm aware of it, I'll make a point to spread the love. :) Thanks Mariposa

It's awful to say but I can't think of the last time I showed a random act of kindness.

I think it may have been a few weeks back when I was on a train.

I was travelling to visit my folks and I saw this old man reading a book. A little later I had noticed he moved but his book was stuck under his chair that he was sitting in. I assumed he had forgot it.

So I walk upto him and tell him he had forgot his book. He tells me he left it there for someone else to find. He had finished with it.

shals :)

Friday I cooked chicken for my roommate who got back from vacation. I always make it a point to keep/open up doors for people. espessially older people, its a form of respect to me.

Today, our band van broke down, and we had a good three or four more hours till we got back home. A few guys at the rest stop offered to look at it, and luckily one guy was a car fanatic, so he told us what we needed, Another guy gave us some radiator fluid (I think thats what it was), so I really haven't completely lost hope in humanity.

Plus I think being genuinely caring and nice is good for yourself aswell, it makes me happy to see others happy. That sounds really cheesy hahaha but its true.

I found two $20 bills and two $5 bills under my car tire this morning. It was parked overnight at the train station and no other cars were really around. Funny thing is, it was the tire I blew out on road debris last week that my dad paid some ridiculous amount to fix (I had the money to pay the invoice, he did it to be kind).

It's said when you give it comes back tenfold. Maybe this had something to do with the $5 I gave the homeless guitar player in my original post.

:)

Saturday as I was walking back from the pool, my neighbor had a futon delivered to her house. It looked pretty heavy so I dropped my things and moved it into her house for her.

A very cute sweet boy came into my work and was obviously buying food for his coworkers back at his work..while I was ringing him up he made a comment about how he was a cashier too..he just had a very warm presence that made me feel good. Anyways, his order came to 25 something..and his face fell as he handed me two tens and said "Oh no..he {his boss I'm assuming} only gave me 20.." he started saying something about leaving his meal behind and I quickly took the twenty bucks and told him I'd cover him. He got a big smile and I just said "It's okay, good karma comes around, right?"

Not a huge deal, but I would hope the same would be done for me in a situation..

mariposa420 said:
I found two $20 bills and two $5 bills under my car tire this morning. It was parked overnight at the train station and no other cars were really around. Funny thing is, it was the tire I blew out on road debris last week that my dad paid some ridiculous amount to fix (I had the money to pay the invoice, he did it to be kind).

It's said when you give it comes back tenfold. Maybe this had something to do with the $5 I gave the homeless guitar player in my original post.

50 bucks! WOW! Cha-CHING!
The most I ever found was a twenty. I was damn happy about that though!

Originally posted by shal
So I walk upto him and tell him he had forgot his book. He tells me he left it there for someone else to find. He had finished with it.

That's really sweet :)

I just hope it doesn't get put into 'lost property' to rot in a box for 2 years and then be disposed of ;)

i found a wallet with $200 in it and returned it to the girl. normally, i wouldn't think twice about returning money, but this girl was being a bitch. my boyfriend called to tell her we found the wallet and asked how we could return it. she started screaming at him and accusing him of stealing the wallet. she called the next day to apologize, apparently some guy slipped her something in her drink , tried to rape her and stole her wallet. now she randomly IMs me and my boyfriend to thank us and offered to take us to dinner :)

i usually hold doors for people, too. i never really though much about it until i transferred to OU. while i was visiting campus, i noticed how people held doors for you and were just generally friendly. so now i try to pass that along :)

PsychoKitten said:
I put coins in the meter of the car next to me this morning because their meter was expired. I always do this because I figure karma will come round one day.

thats actually illegal to do in various states here in the US. silly, huh?

Oh fuck it, that bitter person who wrote my earlier post is only the person I want to be, the person who will never be hurt again. The truth is, I can't help but hold doors open for people, tap the lady on her shoulder when she drops her wallet or leaves her sunglasses behind to return them to her, or always say please and thank you, even at McDonalds.

Let it be known, though, that I do these things because I want to do them, not because I expect anything in return, or even for people to do the same for me, but just because in my mind, what needs to be done gets done, and I like things being done right. I am working on caring less and less about those I don't know, however. They have hurt me so many more times than they have helped me, so at this point, it is in my best interest to keep away.

As for many people having the same viewpoint, I doubt it, especially looking at this thread, I seem to be in the minority. Most people are so quick to help the stranger in need, especially those religious types who beat their wives and yell at their kids, but display their righteousness in public by holding open doors and acting all sweet and kind.

As for the happiness of others bringing happiness to me... I have never experienced this phenonmenon. I have done many things that should make other people happy, yet it always leaves me not only unfulfilled, but feeling robbed and taken advantage of.

That's enough for today...

MynameisnotDeja said:
^ Really? How come?

Yup, it really is illegal. Probably because it decreases revenues for the Parking & Transportation police. Seriously.

Yes it really is MynameisnotDeja. I agree prolly for the reason goldenbrown said...im not too sure the "legal" reason though

I gave my patient a hug and sat holding his hand til he fell asleep last night. He's been on our intensive care unit for 95 days and he still can't communicate very well and keeps bursting into tears, he was upset so i gave him a hug (even though he's got MRSA ;))

goldenbrown said:

Let it be known, though, that I do these things because I want to do them, not because I expect anything in return, ... I am working on caring less and less about those I don't know, however. They have hurt me so many more times than they have helped me, so at this point, it is in my best interest to keep away. ... As for the happiness of others bringing happiness to me... I have never experienced this phenonmenon. I have done many things that should make other people happy, yet it always leaves me not only unfulfilled, but feeling robbed and taken advantage of.

That's enough for today...

I feel that what goes around definitely comes around (not just action, also thoughts). Maybe not straightaway, and not always so that we notice... I also think that doing acts of kindness simply to make Good come our way too is not like Giving Freely.

Regarding the Happiness that you do unto others not making you happy... I can dig that, too. I guess it's all about effort. I wouldn't systematically go out of my way to help, though sometimes I do. But there's so much Good we can do without much effort at all. Such as many of the examples people have mentioned.