• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random What good things/random acts of kindness did YOU do?

I helped a woman find a street near my house when I saw her in her car at 3am on a Sat Morning, with the melways and car door wide open, she was looking mightly confused. I looked up the street for her and than gave her directions. Took all of 7 minutes.

I did it because I would be very happy if someone did this to me at 3am, in an area I wasn't comfortable in and didn't know at all.

Golden Brown - its called "do to others as you want done to yourself". your comments above outline your personality, pretty fuckin sad if you ask me.

postponed smoking weed and drove to pick up someone from the club.. not the greatest act of kindness you ever saw from me, but the most recent one.

I put coins in the meter of the car next to me this morning because their meter was expired. I always do this because I figure karma will come round one day.

Have to say, there isn't much recently :(

I did offer my brother and his girlfriend money to get a cab home a couple of nights ago. Though that's no big deal. And I said some kind words on the interweb, but big deal really.

I actually did an anti-kindness, on my way home on Friday there was a guy staggering about, saying "I need help" and I ignored him. I was kinda scared because I was very drunk and he looked big and scary and drunk or something. But he was probably just an average guy who'd had too much to drink - or was even sick or something - and I chose not to help him :(

I was outside of Subway and this guy was asking where downtown was. We were like 20 miles from it. He thanked us after we gave him directions. On the way back to my place I see him hitch hiking. This is very abnormal in the area I live, so I gave him a lift. He was from the Netherlands and having a bad day (lost the one person's phone number he knew). I smoked him out with the last of the chronic I had and drove him to some bar.

Originally posted by goldenbrown
Why the fuck would I waste my time being nice to some random person? I mean seriously, expend energy to bring happiness to a person I don't even know. As long as I am not succeeding at doing many intentional acts of kindness towards those I do know, like my family and friends, then I will not waste any time being nice to people I don't know, nor genuinely care about.

You are missing the point that doing something for someone else actually brings happiness to yourself. It makes you feel happy that you helped someone else out or brought some form of happiness or relief to their lives. It also brings you above the BS out there in the world instead of being stuck in the middle of it.

Originally posted by -=ReD-hAzE=-
I ended a life...

When you're keen to do it again give me a call.

I haven't done anything good recently... :(
Thanks for reminding me!!

Why the fuck would I waste my time being nice to some random person? I mean seriously, expend energy to bring happiness to a person I don't even know. As long as I am not succeeding at doing many intentional acts of kindness towards those I do know, like my family and friends, then I will not waste any time being nice to people I don't know, nor genuinely care about.

You've never been helped by a total stranger before??

Well, my nanna has just got out of hospital, and I went to visit her over Mother's Day weekend. She was having trouble putting her slippers on so I went over and kneeled beside her and helped her with her slippers.

It was kind of a poignant moment, because she looked down at me with her old blue eyes and said "I used to put your shoes on when you were a little girl"......

I guess we shared a moment, and I understood all of a sudden how important it was to give back to your family, even though they *never* ask you to. It was such a small thing, and visiting her took such a small time out of my life, but it meant SO, so much to her.

PsychoKitten said:
I put coins in the meter of the car next to me this morning because their meter was expired. I always do this because I figure karma will come round one day.
\

That's so nice. I'll have to remember to do that.... I just hope someone like you is lurking around my car when my money runs out ;)

I had a guy come in the store where I work, that was employed with a company that was cleaning the floors. The guys boss told him he wasn't needed, and that he had to go home. It was way past the time that busses run, so the guy was pretty stranded. I gave him my last $7 so he could get a cab home.

goldenbrown said:

I know just what you mean. And yet... if everyone is like this the world can hardly evolve, and we'll never make new friends. Nor will we be able to keep the ones we have. Society is gonna fall apart ever more... true change comes from evey individual, from the inside, projected to the outside, at any moment.

PsychoKitten said:

Wow, I mean, WOW :) -

have you considered the may never even have put any money in there?

I'm with you on the karma thing, though. What goes around comes around.

goldenbrown said:

Because evolution has formed human beings to give and receive altruism/altruistic acts. How else would we have survived if we did not learn to cooperate and help one another?

Additionally, how would you feel if you found yourself in need of emergency assistance and none of your family or friends were around?

Finally, it has been my experience that it makes most people happy to make others happy. You get back what you put in- and if you're not putting anything in, you're probably not going to get much back. :(

Seriously...

if I can use my life to make a few more people enjoy theirs. Then I would die happy knowing I did that.