• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Basic Cultivation

frizzantik

Bluelight Crew
All basic cannabis cultivation questions belong in this Mega Thread. New threads dealing with cannabis cultivation may be merged into this thread. Advanced questions may be permitted to remain as independent threads, but keep in mind that there are marijuana-specific internet forums where such topics may already have been addressed. Questions about large scale operations are not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frost and harvest time

The frosts are coming in and I have a late maturing sativa strain. The high I get off of them now is quite reasonable, but they are not quite ready yet.

What I want to know is will frost kill my plants? Will they still be smokeable after being killed? Should I keep an eye on the weather and harvest before the heavy frosts?

i would try to let them go until ripe. they may survive the frost if its gonna be mild.

harvest as close to ripeness as possible.

Im just wondering if anyone here is form Australia that knows about personal supply.

I was thinking using my basement to grow just enough plants to satisfy myself (I only smoke occsionaly).

Legally.. where am I at? Oh, and I dont live in ACT or SA.

growing in closet for 1st time

What security pre-cautions do i need to take? Smell? Electric Bill? Hydro easier? I just want 1 or 2 for personal use so any help would be great.

Totally depends on your living situation, I would say. How many people people live in your apartment? How often do they come into your room? Is there a balcony outside your window? Does anyone use it? Does it matter if anyone finds out? Are there many neighbours - is your room close to the neighbours, etc. etc.

--- G.

Excellent link :)

I'd say you should go for a strain that doesn't stink to the high heavens (some stink a lot more than others) and try to create some sort of area no one else goes into. It could be a closet behind a bed or something - just make it a hassle for someone to ger in there and have lots of air circulation to a window (like through one of those big plastic tubes that lead out of dryers) for the smell.

Good luck,

--- G.

p.s. you might also want to work out some excuse for a higher electricity bill if your roomies are a bit cheap with the bills and monitor them - although with two plants it will barely be noticable.

you'll want either to get a low smell strain or some kind of smell remover. i grew two small ass plants once and they stunk up my apt.

for a small grow you wont need to worry about the electricity because at most you'll be using 400w, which is about as much as a new computer uses (ie no big deal)

i hear hydro is easier, but it is also more expensive to start up

browse overgrow for a few months and you should have some great idea :)

Lighting can make a big deal. Alot of people grow with low pressure sodium lamps, which work, but metal halide lamps are pretty sweet. They tend to use less energy (good) and the light is more true than with sodium lights (sodium lamps give off more of a yellow tinge).

These lamps tend to be kinda pricy though, depedant on what kind you want to use. A really good lamp to use is made by GE. They go for around $30 each or so. (MVR400/U). The GE version is rated for 20,000 hours. MAKE SURE TO GET COATED LAMPS. HID (high intensity discharge) lamps have a tendancy to well.... FUCKING EXPLODE and the coated lamps ensure that you are pelted with large chunks of hot glass than small powder. I'd compare it as buckshot to birdshot. Another way to do is is to use flourescent lighting. Some people like growing with flour, some don't. It's up to you, but lumen for lumen, a flour lamp is cheaper and you have ALOT more options as far as lamp color's go. If you trying to save money, go with the GE wattmeisers or SP35 lamps.

I almost died tonight…Please be careful guys…

I almost died tonight…Please be careful guys…

I’m still shaking as I write this from the after effects of electrocution. I can only type with one hand as my other is wrapped in paper towels to slow the bleeding.

I was in checking my little guys and decided to lower the reflector as I thought the little guys could now handle a little more light. I steeped up on my large wooden planter and braced myself with one hand against the ceiling. I reached out with my other hand to grasp the chain that was supporting the reflector from a hook in the ceiling…

It is the worst feeling. You can actually feel the 60Hz, your body actually vibrates at the AC frequency. Everything tenses up, you can’t breath, and Lord only knows what happened to your heart. You can’t let go, you can’t move. Hell I don’t even remember seeing anything. The hot lead to the light must have shorted to the reflector and had energized it to 500V AC. The electricity was flowing from the reflector threw my hand down my body and out my bare foot that was now in the large planter (that had moist soil). I remember falling backwards and landing on the floor. There was blood everywhere, all over my sweater, jogging pants, feet. I looked down at my hand that was covered in blood and the pool forming below it. The flesh wound didn’t bother me nearly as bad as how close to death I was. You could actually follow the trail of blood to the bathroom where I washed my hands and wrapped them in paper towels to slow the bleeding. I don’t know what I sliced my hand open on? The reflector I guess? It looks to be only a 3 cuts 1-3” in length that are fairly shallow. Thank God there is no entry and exit burns.

After cleaning up the bloody mess. I laid down on the couch for a while after taking a few puffs to calm my nerves. What a way to go? Damn it guys this is not how I want to go!… I got a flash back from when I was younger.

I had a small patch of plant up in the mountains. They were doing fairly well and it was a beautiful summer afternoon. And I had taken a break from my watering to enjoy the great outdoors…when all of a sudden I heard something coming through the bushes towards me. What ever it was it was large, bigger then any damn deer. It would move fairly fast and then stop. And then this large bear came into the clearing where I was tending my crop. The bear didn’t seem that interested in me and was just sniffing my sweaty shirt that I taken off and the tree I had taken a piss on earlier. I stood up as high as I could and started talked, loader and loader to try to scare the bear away. Only a few feet away from me the bear didn’t seem that interested in me or my load preying that she would go away. It finally did leave but not for some time. I stayed in that clearing until after dark before I decided to venture back to the car. But what would have happened if I had gotten in a scuffle with the bear? I don’t think it would have killed me, but it would probable mauled me fairly bad, and I was far enough in the bush that I’m not sure I would have been able to make it back to the car. And of coarse no-one new where I was. Earlier when I was staring at the bear that was staring at me I remember thinking to myself. ‘This is not how I want to go…Bleeding to death after a scuffle in the middle of my crop in the middle of nowhere, with no one even knowing where I was’.

Just be careful guys. Don’t get complacent as I had tonight. Please have respect for electricity, there is a lot of things we all do here while working on our little endevers that can be very dangerous if not respected. Water & Electricity is a bad combo.

Please don’t get complacent as I had tonight…

Peace

Hi! SHit! Sorry to hear mate. Be careful!
I'm not sure where this thread would fit though, as it doesn't exactly fit in Cannabis Discussion does it..?

Well...what ever you figure Splatt, this is my first post...

I just ment it as a word of warning for my fellow gardeners...

be careful...

Well it is in the spirit of harm minimisation i guess! ;)
Yeah, be careful of this people..

It's upto frizzantik what is to be done with it!

fuck, i'm glad you're ok.

not many people have two separate life-threatening experiences when growing!

wow thats pretty freaky. i've merged your thread with the cultivation mega thread as im sure you've noticed