• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Basic Cultivation

I'm using a HPS bulb (150 watt), I just turned it off for the picture because my camera doesn't work well at all with it on for some reason.
I will be lowering the light though, for some reason I didn't notice that the light is more than a foot away from the plant...it's supposed to be around 6 inches right?
edit: also how can you tell when it looks about time to put it into the flowering light cycle

Last edited:
^^ I believe the optimal light height for HPS lamps is 1 foot from the canopy.

Basically though, you want the light as close as you can get it without burning the tips of your plants. If you can put your hand on the tips of the plants and the light isn't too hot for your hand to stay there it should be alright.

You can flower the plants whenever you'd like I think. They just double in size from the time you stop vegging and start flowering. So, start them flowering when they are about 1/2 of the final size you'd like them to get to.

thanks kul

update pics:
img0370of3.jpg

img0371ga9.jpg

the second pic came out really weird...and you can..like..see through parts of the plant?

looks great :) you can see through the plant because it was moving while the camera shutter was open and the stronger light reflecting off the foil burns on the sensor overwriting the plant's weaker reflection in those spots. looks a hearty plant though, keep on truckin

hey everyone. I was wondering if this hypothetically would work for one or 2 plants.

http://www.choiceful.com/disprod.php?pId=13164&catId=4&deptId=E1

That kind of bulb (im not sure what exact kind it is and if u can identify it id be appriceated) and the buld is surrounded bya metal reflector kind of like a half sphere. All and all its pretty damn bright for a 8inch wide light. Suspention and everything would be rather easy due to the lamps design. Would i be better off with a very powerful light? i have accesses to something very similar(just a different color) to this but im unsure it would work due to lack of space a good few feet above the plant it might do harm due to its power.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Floodlight/p/sm/1003048547.htm

The thing lights anything like its day and is about a foot wide and 8inches deep with a metal reflector surrounding the actual part that produces the light then glass casing after the metal.

any input would be appreciated.

Would either of those be effective for one or 2 plants. This would hypothetically take place at an older friends house but its thurs not much room at all. Okie thanks very much.

p.s. to lurker guy, id like to hear some details about the 100$ system you spoke of.

It looks like they're both halogen bulbs. Bright, yes, but close to the worst kind of bulb for growing. Their watt to lumen ratio is very poor, and they emit far too much heat.

Stick to HPS/metal halide bulbs if you can afford them. If not, stick to compact fluoros.

thanks very much, its appreciated and i understand now id be better not growing if im not going to invest in a fixture.

amount of time from small vace to a bigger one

if im using the sunlight, around how long should i wait to transfer it from the small vace its in to a bigger one? I'm using sunlight from outside. Should I wait till a certain height, or a certain amount of leaves? Thanks

Umm now? Before you do it at night and your little indoor plant dosent have the sunlight to recover after you shock the fuck out of its root system transplanting it so early.

If you're talking about a 4" container, then you should definitely pot up to a bigger one (12" minimum).

I don't really see any use for a 4" container at any time. It's too big for germinating and too small for any plant older than a day or two. I'd go straight from a seedling tray to a 12" pot.

can anyone comment on this little dilemma here?

The plants trichs are fully formed, and the heads are cloudy. I was under the impression that they went amber, then cloudy. If this is true, that means i should be harvesting.

The only issue is that the pistils still look very small, they look like they should have expanded more. But all the trichs are cloudy.

Should i harvest now, or early october?

Photos cant be put up at the moment, but will be asap, with macros included.

You've got it the wrong way around. Trichomes go cloudy, then amber as they start to degrade.

Don't worry about the size of the hairs, they can be significantly different in size from strain to strain. It means basically nothing in terms of when to harvest.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to trichome colour. Rather, I watch for when the floral development comes to a halt or close to it. Usually, the lack of fresh, white hairs are an indication, though some strains seem to keep producing floral clusters when other parts of the plant are showing sure signs of death.

Growing cannabis question.

I only have one question. Once a cannabis plant has started to bud do the leaves and stem coninue to grow beacuse mine has been budding for a week now and I have not seen any growth in height which I would like since it would mean more buds.

once a plant starts flowering it stops using its energy for growth and starts using it for the budding process. so theoretically it should almost stop growing yes.

Thanks DonkeyPunch, also (I dont want to start another thread) is it possible to cut off the buds once they are done but keep the plant alive for spring?

Normally during flowering a plant will double in size actually. This happens very quickly. Is it possible you stressed them from high temperatures or anything?