Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Storage Thread

fizzacyst

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys.

There have been a few questions posted recently about what is suitable for storing fragile psychedelics. There are always makeshift ideas put forth, people trying to test old vials to make sure they are airtight, etc, etc.

Here is a place where you can buy bottles, jars, and vials of all sizes. Many of them are amber or blue and will block the light that might damage fragile chemicals.

www dot specialtybottle dot com

They do not require you to buy a minimum (like a whole case of 300 or whatever) like some places do. Even buying singles is pretty cheap.. like US$0.30-$0.80 for the ones most of you would be looking for. Thats a small investment for your expensive stash, and way better than keeping it in a flimsy baggie in the back of a drawer.

There are many totally legit reasons why you'd want something like this, and they have never done me wrong.

I thought this might help some of you out

This was cleared w/ the mods/admins before I posted it.

I have no association with this place, its just the best I've noticed so far. If you know of any other places for supplies like this, post up.

peace

edit:
Maybe someone could swish this over to drug basics, since most of the questions this applies to should probably go there... or merge w/ the storage thread (if there is one).

further edit:
de-linkified the spcialtybottle link so that they don't get a bunch of bluelight referrals in their logs. I doubt it matters much, but can't hurt to leave that info out.

SUB THREADS
Tryptamine Storage (Storage Substread)

Last edited by a moderator:
I get them at a local headshop as "incense vials", at least that is how they are labled.

I have ordered bottles from them as well. The worlds most popular auction house also has several auctions for various sized bottles. They (the auction house) also have things like 1ml pipettes and volumetric flasks for cheap.

so with fragile tryptamines, which i have had before, but never had to store myself, is it manditory to freeze them after you have placed them in your amber/blue/any other dark colored air-tight glass container? or can i simply use the air-tight container and set them in the medicine cabinet?

That is better than nothing, but keeping them as cool as possible (within reason, of course) is definitely advisable and will keep them around much longer. If you plan on keeping them for years I would find a way to keep them in a freezer or at least a refrigerator... or perhaps in a cool basement if that is all you have

How feasible is it for chemicals to be stored for any length of time in small plastic zippered baggies? Especially when darkness and cold temperature is involved?

As every one already knows; freezing those little amber glass threaded vials, in an air tight environment and moisture free etc... is a very good idea for long term storage.

You can also use a gas such as Argon Gas to ride those little vials of oxygen
you can get the spray canister by using the link below.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/details.asp?Ep=An/0//A/424&uid=B1BE7F07-0479-4355-B1EA-78A085596198

Or just the Argon Gas cartridges here

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/res...sl=1&uid=B1BE7F07-0479-4355-B1EA-78A085596198

Cheers

fizzacyst said:
That is better than nothing, but keeping them as cool as possible (within reason, of course) is definitely advisable and will keep them around much longer. If you plan on keeping them for years I would find a way to keep them in a freezer or at least a refrigerator... or perhaps in a cool basement if that is all you have

so...an amber glass air-tight container in a closet that stays at roughly 65 degrees would keep tryps in generally good condition for say 6 mo to a year? most likely no more than 8 mo, since i only have about 4 trips worth that i am storing.

I don't want to make a blanket statement like that. It is going to vary depending on what drug it is, and even what salt of a particular drug. Many of the more fragile tryptamines seem to be distributed as the fumarate salt recently. Apparently these are a lot more stable. Some salts may attract moisture from the air. That is something to consider as well.

If you have a salt that is known to be hygroscopic I would put some desiccant in a larger airtight container , place your open vial in that, seal it for a while and let it dry, then take out your smaller vial with the drug and seal it up.

If this makes a huge difference in stability, that may be more than sufficient. I haven't left anything laying around that long to see if it gets messed up. I have kept mushrooms on desiccant in an opaque airtight container sitting in a closet for the better part of a year w/o any noticeable loss of potency, but I just sort of forgot about them. I've never tried to test the stability of anything.

If you have the freebase form of something, I would definitely keep it as cool and dry as possible. I'd keep it in the freezer unless there was a pressing reason not to do so.

I think that is about as good as you are going to get without storing them under inert gas or with refrigeration, so if you can't pop it in the freezer, then you've taken all the precautions you can.

If you happen to have a clear vial or whatever, thats ok too, I'm not saying you need to go buy amber ones specifically. Just put the clear vial into another container to shield it from light.

What substance are you trying to store?

fizzacyst said:
I don't want to make a blanket statement like that. It is going to vary depending on what drug it is, and even what salt of a particular drug. Many of the more fragile tryptamines seem to be distributed as the fumarate salt recently. Apparently these are a lot more stable. Some salts may attract moisture from the air. That is something to consider as well.

If you have a salt that is known to be hygroscopic I would put some desiccant in a larger airtight container , place your open vial in that, seal it for a while and let it dry, then take out your smaller vial with the drug and seal it up.

If this makes a huge difference in stability, that may be more than sufficient. I haven't left anything laying around that long to see if it gets messed up. I have kept mushrooms on desiccant in an opaque airtight container sitting in a closet for the better part of a year w/o any noticeable loss of potency, but I just sort of forgot about them. I've never tried to test the stability of anything.

If you have the freebase form of something, I would definitely keep it as cool and dry as possible. I'd keep it in the freezer unless there was a pressing reason not to do so.

I think that is about as good as you are going to get without storing them under inert gas or with refrigeration, so if you can't pop it in the freezer, then you've taken all the precautions you can.

If you happen to have a clear vial or whatever, thats ok too, I'm not saying you need to go buy amber ones specifically. Just put the clear vial into another container to shield it from light.

What substance are you trying to store?

the fumarate salt of 4-HO-MiPT and a two doses of DPT. i already plan on placing desiccant in the container. both of these will be weighed and capped before being placed into their containers

Thanks a bunch for Big'n'Dandifying this thread. We've needed one.

My personal strategy for storing both PEAs and tryptamines is to keep them in powder form inside glass vials, which are themselves sealed in (labeled) plastic baggies, and then placed in the freezer. As I look toward long-term storage, I'll end up adding dessicant inside the plastic bag, which I'm assuming should keep moisture from ever getting to the container.

I like powder, because different substances respond differently in solution, and because it keeps me free to experiment with different routes of administration, like insufflation or IM (for which I want to use sterile saline, rather than EtOH/H2O mix! Ouch!). So I try never to put more of a compound into suspension than should be necessary to dose it safely.

The only thing I specifically keep in suspension 100% of the time is DOI (and would with other DOxes if I had them), just because that +/-1mg resolution on my scale would actually make a difference, and because I have no desire to ever try it any other way than orally.

I'm interested in storing with inert gases, but how would you do that with a screw-top vial? Is argon (for example) heavier than air, so that it would sink down and displace the air in the vial? I'd obviously like to keep the top of the vial covered as much as possible, so as not to have expensive clouds of RC dust flying around my kitchen borne upon a zephyr of noble gas. ;)

who said:
the fumarate salt of 4-HO-MiPT and a two doses of DPT. i already plan on placing desiccant in the container. both of these will be weighed and capped before being placed into their containers

I bet it will be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway... just don't go leaving it in the car during the summer or anything when you go camping.

i hope this is the place for this question...

I recently went through some purses in my closet and found a 3 gram bag of mushroom shake. The last time I used this purse was 3 months ago, so its at least that old. Can I eat it?

^^ the only way to find out is to eat it, but I think it should still be fairly active. I’ve had mush laying around in a desk drawer for months and months that stayed potent.

I found these really great tupperware-type containers recently. They are rectangular and have a rubber gasket around the underside of the lid, and the lid clamps down hard on all four sides of the main container so they’re air/odor/water tight. Totally perfect! I can fit my entire collection in there, each compound stored in it’s own amber vial, frozen, taped and labeled around the cap with little silica gel packets thrown in the box. I even tinted the container itself. Maybe overkill but I’m hoping my collection will last for ‘decades’. We shall see!

These are ideal for storing c@nnabis too since they are totally odor/moisture tight.

http://www.snapware.com/maindept.asp?dept_id=1000

I think you can find them at walmart and bed bath and beyond perhaps?

Ive always kept stuff in baggies which are then put in old medicine bottles and that usually does the trick. As long as thempratures are below or at room temp and the stuff is kept in a dark environment (I.E a drawer) then it should last a pretty long time. I dont see the need to freeze anything unless it is being held onto for over 6 months.

In general, chemical reactions double in rate for every increase of 10'C (see a physical chemistry book if you want details of chemical kinetics). As degradation of compounds is a chemical reaction, every drop of 10'C halves the reaction rate and therefore doubles the life of the chemical. LSD stored in a freezer at -18'C will have a lifetime of 16 times that of LSD stored at room temp (22'C) all other things (exposure to light etc) being equal. Stored in dry ice (-78'C) it will remain active for 1024 times the lifetime of LSD stored at room temp.

Simple chemical kinetics

Curious-c storage of San pedro cuttings? My drawer?