• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is Kratom becoming too popular?

Do I believe kratom is becoming too popular? Of course, within the online drug community at least. With more traction comes more media attention filled with complete misinformation. Also, the DEA has scheduled less popular, more obscure research chemicals in the past... stuff that isn't found in headshops. Do I believe kratom is going to be banned in the near future? Absolutely. For those unaware, in addition to being under scrutiny by the DEA, the FDA seems to be a huge concern. They have mounted a "war on kratom" 8). Both the DEA and the FDA make it very clear that they believe kratom has no medical value.

The FDA has also made it clear that they want kratom off the market and they will seize imported kratom. Something interesting to note is that the ex vice president of monsanto is now the president of the FDA :\. It amazes me how the FDA can flat out deny any legitamate medical use for kratom when shit like dilaudid, oxy, and fentanyl is known to be dangerous and the FDA has no qualms approving them. Sounds like the pharmaceutical conpanies are scared kratom will be used by some to free themselves of their prescription drugs. Any actions done are certainly not for our safety, that's for sure. Monsanto, the FDA, and big pharma have a history of conspiring and working with one another to do some shady shit.

To quote the the first article linked (I highly suggest giving it a read)
NSFW:
FDA recently notified its field personnel who are responsible for imports that it may detain certain products containing kratom (Mitragyna speciosa), an herb that comes from a tree in Southeast Asia, without physical inspection because the agency determined the substance is a botanical that qualifies as a new dietary ingredient (NDI) and poses adverse health effects ranging from aggression to nervousness, hallucinations and sleeplessness.

"Because kratom is not grown in the U.S., FDA's import alert effectively cuts off U.S. access to this plant and products that include this ingredient," said Michael McGuffin, president of the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA). "Any company interested in selling kratom or products with kratom would have to overcome significant challenges to bring this plant to the U.S. market. FDA has made it clear that it considers this plant a health risk for consumers and changing the agency's stance would likely require a significant investment."

Theoretically, a kratom ingredient supplier or finished product maker could change FDA's mind by submitting an NDI notification to the agency, demonstrating pursuant to the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) that the NDI (kratom) "when used under the conditions recommended or suggested in the labeling of the dietary supplement will reasonably be expected to be safe."

Mister expressed doubt that such a notification would persuade FDA that kratom is safe.

"It would very hard for a company to try to demonstrate this product is reasonably expected to be safe," he said. "It seems to have addictive properties to it, and there doesn't seem to be any legitimate medical use."

In fact, DEA recognizes no legitimate medical use for kratom, which is in the same family tree as coffee and contains more than 25 alkaloids. DEA contends high doses of the substance can produce opiate effects and lead to addiction. The agency cited cases in which addicts exhibit psychotic symptoms, such as delusions and hallucinations. According to DEA, national drug abuse surveys have not monitored kratom abuse in the United States.

With both parties not agreeing on any medical value it seems like it's only a matter of time before it is banned. Because of kratom's newfound popularity there are now tons of rediculous articles filled to the brim with misinformation and flat out lies, in what seems like an attempt at scare mongering. Articles like this that incluse information like this...
“Users say it’s the legal form of heroin, with hallucinogenic effects like LSD,” reported KOKH-TV, Oklahoma City’s Fox affiliate....“high doses, two to three pills at a time, several times a day” and were experiencing the opposite result—something comparable to taking “a fistful of very strong painkillers,”...
. I wish they would just put an age restriction on kratom and back off. My advice, stock up and if your not already physically dependant keep it that way.

《Plasticity》;13279359 said:
“Users say it’s the legal form of heroin, with hallucinogenic effects like LSD,”

A little part of me dies everytime I read something like this.

I think it may be becoming too popular. I've recently seen quite a few media articles filled with such nonsense as aforementioned. Hell, it was banned in my country not so long ago, making us pioneers of some kind in this regard.

It is strange to think about how the cannabis legalization movement is gaining such momentum, especially in the US, and another plant that is rather benign and arguably not even worse than cannabis, is on the way to getting banned more widely. It's sad, because kratom is my "sweetspot" in the opioid category.

where I live (middle europe), hardly anybody knows it, in smartshops it's prohibitly expensive, and drug topics aren't very much a top media agenda. so I don't believe that it will become illegal here anytime soon.

I hope so eurobro

I read this and just bought a few pounds of bali, and a few pounds of red vein summatra and a few pounds of maeng da....twas expensive. I will continue to do so whenever I have extra money and develop a stockpile.

No, it is already scheduled as a narcotic, like anything psychoactive. There is a blanket ban.

Sorry, Myco, you're lying to yourself here... technically speaking if you have withdrawals upon discontnuation (esp. if they are aleviated with more opioids), then yeah, you are physically dependant. Just something to think about: opioid withdrawal/dependency doesn't mean you MUST be an immobilized, puking mess. There is a wide range of possible symptoms, but as long as you have some of them, you're dependent on opioids. Remind yourself often to keep your doses and frequency in check, give yourselves frequent tolerance breaks, and generally Keep It Real: it is way too easy for most people to find themelves justifying new spans of drug usage trying to get the last bit of dopamine out of the experience...

And to anyone worrying about kratom being on the DEA's Not-Illegal-Yet-But-We-Could-Make-It-Illegal-If-You-Guys-Would-Like list: it's been there for 5 years or more, so I hardly think they are goin gto make it illegal overnight. They have known about kratom for quite some time and I guess it's just too much of a hassle to police it like heroin for a drug used by a rather small segment of the population.

Ok, technically speaking, if you want to consider the most MINOR fatigue and sniffles "physical dependency" you can and I suppose they are, but they've been easy to deal with WITHOUT redosing, so my point is it was never on the level of someone who NEEDS to redose in order to stave off withdrawals keeping them from abstaining from long periods of time (or long enough that the WDs end by themselves WITHOUT redosing) and forcing them into the role of the user who HAS to dose on a daily or bi daily frequency and that in general is MY definition of the kind of "physical dependency" I PERSONALLY am concerned with, even if it is not admitedly the standard one.

For now though, I am in the green:

I went through with my plan of just finishing up the rest of my Kratom without any horrible SERIOUS dependency, and now for monetary and other reasons will not be purchasing more for AT LEAST 3 months until after Christmas at which point I probably will.

By that point I'd ASSUME my tolerance will be MUCH lower and I'll certainly not have a shred of physical dependence and can try a second time to keep my tolerance to a lower more reasonable number of grams per dose (not sure what it will be yet).

But overall, my posts about my concerns or physical dependency were at weakened moments making them sound MUCH worse than they ever were.

Overall, still with continued usage of Kratom for about a year and a half now, and even despite having difficulties managing tolerance, I've found Kratom is MOSTLY a drug I CAN engage in even if it occassionally means having to bear it through some MINOR unpleasant symptoms.

Thus, I'm personally satisfied with my level of control over my usage, and not afraid to use it in the future after a long and much needed break.

Just for the record I am completely dependent on kratom, but that is not a bad thing , because ME ME ME ME ME quit a 4&1/2 year habit of shooting heroin since January 6th, 2014. I couldn't have possibly done it without it. I am slowly tapering down off of it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
A blanket ban is making the product, and all of its bi-products illegal at once....IE:the analogue act.

Its impossible to stop a plant though. Because the precursors to create it are sunshine and water. The harvest of kratom also doesn't kill the tree. It is similar to harvesting coffee in the respect that where you harvest it, it grows denser.

By a blanket ban I meant anything really psychoactive apart from alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. That's how that works. It's a clean sweep.

That would be a shame to see Kratom disappear, it's far from dangerous IME. I can see how Big Pharma would throw a fit because those that used to be hooked on their scripts can now use something natural, safer, an cheaper for the pain maintenance. Not to mention it allows many opioid dependent individuals to taper down and get off opioids.

Just for the record I am completely dependent on kratom, but that is not a bad thing , because my dog I quit a 4&1/2 year habit of shooting heroin since January 6th, 2014. I couldn't have possibly done it without it. I am slowly tapering down off of it now.

Welcome to Bluelight. Fixed the above for you. Please read the rules which are linked at the top of the screen. SWIM/dog/mouse in my pocket is not cute, won't help you, and is just annoying to read, and the above is just a mess.

I don't think it's becoming "too" popular, as the actual amount of people who use it (or even know what it is) is still fairly small. I certainly don't like it when the news gets a hold of it and makes it into some big designer drug problem or whatever.

I realllllllllly hope it doesn't become illegal any more than it already is. That would majorly suck for me, and I might end up in more of an "illegal drug scene" than I am now in lieu of it.

I have read about growing the actual trees themselves. It takes a while, and is hard, but I am an avid gardener and would love the challenge. I live in florida so the climate would be nearly ideal.

What happened with pot when it was illegal? People just kept right on growing it. That is what I think will happen with kratom. You cannot stop a plant.

I have read about growing the actual trees themselves. It takes a while, and is hard, but I am an avid gardener and would love the challenge. I live in florida so the climate would be nearly ideal.

What happened with pot when it was illegal? People just kept right on growing it. That is what I think will happen with kratom. You cannot stop a plant.

Wikipedia says that trees grown elsewhere than Southeast Asia tend to have low or non-existent alkaloid content. I haven't bothered to check the source on that, but it doesn't sound promising.

By a blanket ban I meant anything really psychoactive apart from alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. That's how that works. It's a clean sweep.

What country do you live in? That's not "how that works" in any NATO-type country I've heard of. In fact, many of them seem to have less restrictions than the United States, or maybe just less political will to enforce.

Just for the record I am completely dependent on kratom, but that is not a bad thing , because ME ME ME ME ME quit a 4&1/2 year habit of shooting heroin since January 6th, 2014. I couldn't have possibly done it without it. I am slowly tapering down off of it now.

Congrats an good luck on the taper