Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Men's Drink Spiked 04/09/2003

wazza

Bluelighter
Men's drinks spiked
By Edith Bevin
September 4, 2003

Men are having their drinks spiked as often as women, the Territory Health Department revealed yesterday.

Men are being warned over drink spiking.

Research had shown there were two reasons for the spiking - as a prank or to "take out'' the competition for girls in bars.

Drug program acting director Di Rayson said "focus group work'' had shown men were now just as often victims as women.

But she said many men were too embarrassed to report it to police. "People need to report it so we can get evidence,'' she said.

Ms Rayson was speaking after a man's drink was spiked in a Darwin nightclub last week.

He did not report it.

The man had drunk only three beers but he vomited several times during the night and next day.

At least 10 incidents of drink spiking at Darwin nightspots were being reported to police every month last year.

Accurate figures on the number of men who fall prey to drink spiking were not available, with police still collating 2003 figures.

But reports have been received in Darwin, Palmerston and Alice Springs.

Ms Rayson warned people to be aware of what was going into their drink, keep an eye on their drink at all times and to watch out for friends they were drinking with.

The drugs used include benzodiazapine, rohypnol, ketamine and ecstasy.

Ms Rayson said people who suspected drink spiking should:

KEEP the drink, including the bottle or glass.
MAKE a report to police.
TAKE the victim to hospital.
If a sexual assault has taken place or you suspect a sexual assault has occurred as a result of drink spiking you should call the Sexual Assault Referral Centre on 8922 7156.

Northern Territory News

riiiiiiiight. interesting

the northern territory eh? i'm gonna think about this one a bit

heh
with perhaps ten girls per outback town, the men are dropping like flies ;)

why cant someone spike my drinks with ecstasy ;)
mmmm free ecstasy /joke

^^^^ yeah i wouldn't mind my drink spicked with e and i'm not joking.

If as much drink spiking exist as they say it does bars/clubs should serve there drinks in a different method. Even if involves bottles with lids.
It's tight enough when u buy a water and they throw away the lid, that pisses me off.

This is a really, really serious issue, in my opinion. Drink spiking, in my mind, is an absolutely unacceptable invasion of ones person that can never be tolerated to any extent at any level of our society.

Drugs are taken by people all the time, prescription drugs, illegal drugs, legal drugs... however in general, these drugs are taken with the intent of improving ones health or getting high. The perceived benefits are a consequence of a personal action, so the result of taking those drugs is generally positive (the health problem subsides or becomes manageable, or the person gets high), neutral (there is limited benefit or the intended result does not manifest itself, i.e., the problem was not cured, or the high was not achieved), or an immediate bad side effect appears so the interaction is considered negative and the drug is usually avoided forthwith.

In the case of a drink-spiking, or rather a chemical assault on an unsuspecting person, neither of the two non-negative outcomes mentioned above is possible, because the person is not intending to take the drug. Therefore ANY effect that it has on the person must be considered to be negative. Even if the person is a regular drug user who loves experiencing illicit drugs, feeling drug effects which aren't expected can put someone under a lot of psychological pressure. Even if the drink-spiking is done in 'fun' with humourous intentions among friends, dealing with the repercussions of being drugged against one's will can be horrific in terms of, e.g., employment, relationships or the law.

There is NO excuse for drink spiking. Even buying someone a drink with a double-shot of alcohol where they would reasonably expect a single measure is legally considered drink spiking (I am fairly sure of this, but would be happy to edit this statement. If it isn't, it should be).

There is NO acceptable reason to cause someone to take an incapacitating drug against their will (outside of a medical emergency, in which case the person would be administered to by someone trained to do so).

BigTrancer :)

i have a friend who's boyfriend forbids her outright from joing the rest of her friends (me included) when we go out raving/pilling.. She wants to try e so desperately, she told us to spike her water sometime in the near future, so it was not her fault... and her boyfriend couldnt get mad at her....

sorry - funny anecdote....

Originally posted by BigTrancer
There is NO excuse for drink spiking. Even buying someone a drink with a double-shot of alcohol where they would reasonably expect a single measure is legally considered drink spiking (I am fairly sure of this, but would be happy to edit this statement. If it isn't, it should be).

yep, this is correct. and i agree with everything else that you said...

yeah , mate once had his drink spiked with Coke by another chick, but she told him when he was drinking it and then enjoyed awesome sex for hrs, don't know if thats right at all, but provokes a bit of humour
:)

i suppose personally i wouldn't mind my drink spiked with ecstasy. But i when i take ecstasy recreationally i have researched the effect of the drug - tested the pills etc etc. I know the risks and take them all into concideration and made up my mind that the risks are acceptable.

A person who has their drink spiked has had their constitutional right to make their own decisions taken away from them. If you want to do drugz that's fine - but u should never take away someone's right to say no if they want.

Nice Tits

spiking no good

Its not just NT that the spiking of men's drinks is becoming increasingly prevelent. I first saw it bit over a year ago when my best friend had his drink spiked. We were out at a club in st kilda and were both drinking but not alot, one minute my friend was fine, next thing I know he can barely walk and is vomiting, eyes rolling back in head and almost passing out.

About 6 months later same thing happened to myself. Was out with friends having a good night and a few drinks, foolishly put my drink down to have a bit of a dance, went back to it 5 mins later and then from what i can work out 15 minutes later I was fucked (for lack of a better term), couldn't walk, couldn't stop spewing, no coordination and feeling of total confusion.
Is not a pleasent experience and anyone that performs this sort of act is right down there with the lowest form of scum.

Beech out

TranceNation said:
yeah , mate once had his drink spiked with Coke by another chick, but she told him when he was drinking it and then enjoyed awesome sex for hrs, don't know if thats right at all, but provokes a bit of humour
:)

I did think that coke was very active if taken orally??

I could be wrong tho...

drink spiking seems to be on the up on the gold coast as well. One of my dad's mates, his son had a drink spiked at a club here and ended up in hospital after throwing up in cavil for about 20minutes then passing out. Luckily he had smart friends with him to didn't hesitate to get him medical assistence. They were just out drinking, afaik hes not into illict drugs just alcohol.

I had what would of been about my 6th drink spiked with what i believe was ghb one night at another club on the goldy. However I was planning on consuming g in a couple of hours when i met up with another mate. I've found i can have alochol then g or g then alcohol but not mix the two without getting really messy. Anyway, we beat these two guys in snooker they bought us a drink, bottled vodka. Without even thinking I started sipping it, after a few minutes and half the drink was gone I knew something wasn't right. After the initial shock of being g-ed up without having any on me passed I really got into the night, I just ended up stopping drinking earlier than I expected to.

I ain't so quick to brush mum off when she reminds me faithfully every w/e to not leave my drink unattended any more. Be careful people but have a damn good time as well :D