Busted!: MP's son caught dealing drugs

secret squirrel

Bluelighter
Has anyone heard of this?

I've just cut and pasted it from another but it seem legit...:p

Source: Northern Territory News

By CAMDEN SMITH
August 29, 2003

The son of prominent Territory Government MP Marion Scrymgour has been caught dealing drugs.

Richard Maurice Daiyi, 22, pleaded guilty to three charges.

He was given a four-month suspended jail sentence for possessing cannabis, possessing a traffickable quantity of cannabis and unlawfully supplying cannabis.

Magistrate David Loadman also gave Daiyi a 12-month good behaviour bond and confiscated his earnings from dealing drugs.

Daiyi, 22, sold cannabis at Wadeye, south-west of Darwin.

Ms Scrymgour chairs the Government's substance abuse committee.

Last night she said she felt ``hurt and betrayed'' by her son.

A police insider told the Northern Territory News he was concerned Daiyi's court hearing had been fast-tracked.

The source said Daiyi was arrested on the morning of August 13 and was in court at Wadeye within six hours.

``That is very unusual,'' he said.

Magistrate Loadman heard that Daiyi had quit his job shooting brumbies at Palumpa.

The court heard he bought 94.6grams of cannabis in Darwin in mid-July before travelling to Palumpa, about 30km east of Wadeye. He later went to Wadeye where he sold 16 satchels at $50 a bag. At about 5.30am on August 13 Daiyi was in his father's Toyota LandCruiser when he was stopped by police.

The court heard he willingly gave police three bags of the remaining cannabis and about $810 from the 16 deals.

Chief Minister Clare Martin last night denied the case had been fast-tracked through court.

That's fucked. Just because your dad's in the public eye, doesn't mean that you should have to have shit like this published in newspapers. I mean, sure, he broke the law and he's been convicted for it. Fair enough. But having his name splashed in places where a lot of people will see it is a bit of an extra punishment isn't it?

People in the public domain are somewhat public property, but their family shouldn't have to endure stuff like this. Nothing about this makes it newsworthy except that it was a politician's son. I mean, it was only just over three ounces of weed! I'm sure people get caught like this all the time, but don't get articles written about them.

When i started to read this i thought it was going to be something big. But seriously 3 ounces isn't even local paper worthy.
h
Fair enough if his mum got caught than that would be a story and deserve to be published as she's an MP. But this guy's personal life has nothing to do with his mothers work life.

I still can't beleive it's only 3 ounces

Oh wait, fuck. Change dad to mum in my post above! I must have skimmed over the name and didn't realise it was a she! Still stand by what I said though... :)

I wonder if his house will be declared a "drug house"? I wonder if that stupid law was Mum's idea?

I think this is quite funny. It's easy to make harsh laws against evil drug pushers (the kind in trench coats waiting by the gates of the schools). Shame the reality doesn't quite match up.

I hope his Mum has a re-think of her state's ridiculous stand against drug users. Maybe now she'll understand the real human cost of some of the dumb laws she helped put in place.

^I'm with Flexistentialist.
Darwin's oppressive laws need changing, and perhaps this will trigger it.

I suspect he'd had to have been selling from home in order for their house to get a pretty green sign, but I could be wrong. I'm curious to know if it was a random roadside stop by the police at 5.30am, for a breath-test. If so, it's probably just one of those freak chances where his car happened to be totally reeking of choof and he couldn't believe his bad luck at the time.

BigTrancer :)