• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Amphetamines and the thyroid gland

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
TO those that have ever done any physiology.
I just got back from a lecture at uni. we're studying the endocrine system.
After looking at the thyroid gland i got wondering if amphetamine's actually effect the gland and it's capabillities of functioning correctly.
The thyroid gland releases hormones which control metabolism, body temp, and many more bodily functions that i find amphetamine's to alter.
Just curious as to if anyone actually know's if there is a direct connection between the two, and if so, what is it and how does it happen (yes you can use big words) i was also thinking that the amphet's could scramble your CNS ability to communicate correctly to the thyroid gland.

Is over sized thyroid glands (goiter sp.) common amongst speed addicts.

i have to run off to work now, i may add to this when i get back.
answers much appreciated as my curiosity is high right now.

ta.
:D

As with a lot of physical/mental problems, i believe drugs can make an underlying problem with your thyroid worse. ie; If you have a genetic predisposition towards an over or under active thyroid, amphetamines (or other stimulants) can increase the chances of you displaying the condition. They may also make any condition of thyroid problems that you already have worse.
As for them scrambling the CNS ability to communicate with the thyroid, I believe the thyroid is controlled by hormones excreted by the pituitary gland (Thyroid Stimulating Hormones or TSH). So the thyroid is not DIRECTLY controlled by the CNS.
I'm currently a 3rd year biology student and this is my understanding. If anyone knows differently please feel free to disagree.

As i understood it, the CNS will initially send the signal to anterior pituitary, which in turn sends info to the thyroid gland . As it is now written, the brain is the 'biggest' producer of hormones as it is what communicates to the endocrine system.

I know that in terms of thermoregulation, amphetamines alter this by way of the hippocampus.

I'm not sure about the other endocrine effects...

my friend was rushed to hospital and was found to be bleeding internally after he had some pills...

they said he had an overactive adrenaline gland..

I dont know the relevance of this post whatsoever

the adrenal gland is above the kidney's.
but i was just interested by the fact that hormone regulation is/can get thrown out of wack.
sux about your friend

And thanks phase+dancer. that was an awsome link. i guess how you said you get shot down in flames when suggesting such things, people on BL should somehow become aware of such possible dangers. i'm sure there are quite a few people out there with predispositioned thyroid problems.

(deleted/off topic) (got mixed up with lymphs or something)

If amphetamines do indeed affect the thyroid gland do you think it would be a long term problem or only while you use regularly?

Last edited:
in my EXTREMELY short endocrinology history, i would put my money on it being a temporary problem as the chemical product of meth is what would effect the gland directly.
i think phase_dancer would be better to answer this, but i guess that long term abuse of meth could lead to perminent damage.

I know when my old man was younger he was heavy drug user which has resulted in him today having to live with a condition called hypothyroidism.
Weekly medication for the rest of his life now.

hyperthyroidism can manifest from amphet use, the causality is anecdotal, but certainly apperas to be the given symptomatology associated in many users with stimulants, specially scrip ones like phentermine, etc.

chronic fatigue syndrome, hypothyroid and hypopituitary.

I have recently been diagnosed with chronic fatigue, but before that I knew my thyroid was sluggish but because I was within the normal range ( lower end ) the GP won't treat you---so I treated myself (armour thyroid ) and felt a little better. God it is boring being SO knackered all the time. I finally had enough of them just trying to palm me off with antidepressants to help with the sleep problems--they don't help really. I started taking amphetamines about 6 months ago, I thought I can't feel any worse. The Amphetamine doesn't help with my physical energy but has allowed me to have a clarity of thinking that I haven't had for years. For some reason it does not reduce my appetite at all. I look like a barrel with thin arms and legs sticking out. My Gp and the endocrinologist now think it's my pituitaryand I have to go for blood tests in a couple of weeks.
How long does amphetamine take to clear out of the system and biochemistry to " settle down "
By the way I am new to this forum, it's very interesting.

nanobrain said:
hyperthyroidism can manifest from amphet use, the causality is anecdotal, but certainly apperas to be the given symptomatology associated in many users with stimulants, specially scrip ones like phentermine, etc.

This may be a total fluke, but see my Thyroid post on this page - the day I noticed the symptoms was the Weds after I had used some speed on the weekend.

*ponder*

However, could this be temporary? symptoms seem to be going away. I just mentioned this to my partner also, who used speed on the same weekend - he had similar symptoms as myself, but they went away much quicker and didnt come on nearly as severe.