• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Pirates of the Caribbean

Petersko

Bluelighter
Saw this movie on Friday on a heavy dose of mushrooms. LOVED IT. Of course, mushrooms tend to color the mind, so I saw it again tonight. Still loved it.

Johnny Depp gives an absolutely amazing performance, and Geoffrey Rush is equally spectacular.

It's over two and a half hours, but none of our group really noticed it. The pacing is excellent, and the special effects are a perfect work of art - you don't notice them as special effects, you just accept them as the movies reality - unlike the Matrix, where you were slapped in the face over and over with what was clearly computer animation.

Thumbs way up.

if it was an hour shorter, it wouldve been great. I felt like they just repeated the same scene over and over and over and over again. Good story, but waaaay too long for your typical adventure movie. Johnny Depp is always superb and i think this movie wouldve been absolute crap without him.

oh and john lithgow should've played the evil ghost captain who;s name escapes me.

I walked out of this movie about 15 minutes to the end cuz i couldnt take it anymore.

Geoffrey Rush was Barbosa, the mutinous first mate who became captain of the Pearl.

I can't picture John Lithgow in the role. His voice would be totally unsuited to a pirates rasp.

How so? His voice may be high pitched at first, but im sure his acting skills wouldve made the character twice what Geoffrey Rush did. anyone can go "yaaaaaaar" ;)

Best movie I've seen so far this year. I was hesitant to see this movie at first but I'm glad I did. The story is great, the casting was great, the special effects were cool, Johnny Depp is the man, and it had more violence than I had anticipated for a Disney flick. This movie is very entertaining and is going to do VERY well. I didn't mind the two and a half hours one bit, I just wish I had some mushrooms when I saw it. With Finding Nemo and Pirates of Carribean, and Brother Bear coming soon, Disney is gonna cash in this summer.

His voice may be high pitched at first, but im sure his acting skills wouldve made the character twice what Geoffrey Rush did.

I'm surprised you weren't impressed by Rush. I thought his performance was brilliant.

I like Lithgow enough, but I would no more cast him in a pirate movie than I would cast Woody Allen. Lithgow might pull off the physical mannerisms, but unless you were prepared to digitally alter and retouch every scrap of his vocal performance, it wouldn't fly.

I'm always impressed by Depp, his body language, eye movements, the way he speaks... incredible...

But this type of movie hasn't been my fortee for a while... I found it to be mindless and overly cliched. But as a piece of escapism, i found it quite entertaining... and it made me feel like a kid again treaming of such freedom that i used to read in pirate story books and shit..

did anyone catch the preview of eddie murphy in the Haunted Mansion by disney? I guess they have badly run of ideas that they are taking their disneyworld RIDES and making them into MOVIES

first pirates of the carribean(one of my favorate rides in disney) as well as the haunted mansion, another one of my favorates. Next we will be seeing Space Mountain starring Ashton Kutcher.

^^^
another complaint... though i don't mind black actors, black movies, comedies, and even dramatic tv movies...

i really am sick of the black takes on movies that play on white movie cliche's in order to make a ghetto or black mockery of them... the first couple of times it was original and i liked it, but now its way over done...especially Black Knight..

Haven't seen it yet. But sceptical. Since Johnny Depps involved I'll give it a viewing.

DigitalDuality said:
I'm always impressed by Depp, his body language, eye movements, the way he speaks... incredible...

But this type of movie hasn't been my fortee for a while... I found it to be mindless and overly cliched. But as a piece of escapism, i found it quite entertaining... and it made me feel like a kid again treaming of such freedom that i used to read in pirate story books and shit..

That is probably the BEST description i could give this movie, it was fun, it was nice, but definately overly cliched. Given that it was disney though, I thought it wasn't all that bad, had anyone else made this movie, or had depp not been in it, it certainly would not have been worth seeing.

trippies

Maui2k said:
if it was an hour shorter, it wouldve been great. I felt like they just repeated the same scene over and over and over and over again. Good story, but waaaay too long for your typical adventure movie. Johnny Depp is always superb and i think this movie wouldve been absolute crap without him.

oh and john lithgow should've played the evil ghost captain who;s name escapes me.

I walked out of this movie about 15 minutes to the end cuz i couldnt take it anymore.

I'd sit for 10 hours in the movie theater for ANY movie starring Johnny Depp AND Orlando Bloom. *DROOLING* =D

awesome film! In terms of most entertaining for this year, this would have to be right up there with the best of them so far. Depp did an excellent job playing his role, and as someone said earlier, it helps you get totally engrossed within this fantastic (but cliche) tale.

and the bonus for people who have gone to the ride, there are a few scenes that will look very familiar to you.

:)

^^^I noticed that a bit in the trailer. My friend and I attempted to see this on Wednesday, but due to extreme laziness and lack of communication...I must wait until next week to view. ARGH!

I thought this movie was excellent... the acting was phenomenal... Special effects were used very well... I have always been a big fan of the ride... I was at first sceptical they were going to make it more of a horror movie but they did a great job making it both funny and somewhat scary... i give it two thumbs up for a great way to spend 2.5 hours... it isnt deep of thought provoking but it sure beats every other movie ive seen this year...

The acting and special effects were addicting to watch. It made me get right into the story, I hardly noticed its length. It's not often I feel satisfied after paying for a movie at the theatre, especially being as expensive as it is.

Maui2k said:
Next we will be seeing Space Mountain starring Ashton Kutcher.

HAHA!

I saw this movie, and enjoyed it...particularly because Johnny Depp was involved (if he wasn't, I am quite sure I wouldn't have seen it)..however it WAS very 'Disney-esque', which was annoying (but expected)...but I enjoyed when Johnny Depp was doing the HST walk;) (another film I am infatuated with)

Ok I missed the previews before the film, but were there REALLY ads for a haunted mansion movie? That really bothers me...
Eisner first takes over movie theatres, then amusement parks, then...the WORLD.