• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

freebasing off of aluminum foil..dangers?

nothinginside

Bluelighter
Ok... I decided to finally try to get some answers to this question...

i have heard that smoking a material off of aluminum foil is hazerdous to ones physical, and possibly mental health... the former is obvious, but the latter, questionable..

My question arises because i have recently been experimenting with alpha-methyl-tryptamine... via freebase method... i have lost count of how many times i did this, since each time the amount of material vaporized as very minute, at most 20 milligrams at one time.. possibly 25.. so each time i did this kinda just got lost in my mind... ran together with the rest.

It was never habitual, normally spacing between was around 2 weeks... maybe once at 1 week.. a good guestimate of "trips" by this method is probably around 10 times since i'd say, october of 2002... yeah i know that's quite a bit, but the dosage was always lower, as i said... so i didn't smoke large amounts.. probably about 5 hits off of the foil each time.. at most 8 at one sitting..

also, amt turns to liquid almost as soon as the flame touches the foil.. so flame wasn't held on it too long over all.. amt melting temp is pretty low it seems..

i have heard of a couple dangers of using aluminum foil.. but it seems studies are usually focused at habitual, day-to-day users of heroin, methamphetamine, crack.. whatnot..

basically my question is, am i at risk at all? i really don't think i'm gonna be doing it anymore... seeing as i did it a couple of days ago and felt like shit the whole time.. i've had bad sinus problems lately.. overall felt out of it.. this spring has been horrible in the midwest.

basically the drug just made me hyperaware of the pressure in my face from sinus/allergies.. and i had three hours of sleep the night before doing it, and worked 7-3 in the sun that day... so i was burnt too.. in more ways than one i guess.

anyways, any help/comments would be appreciated.. thanks all
i'm probably just noid.. but i need some words so i just decided to write

i have been smoking off foil for years, we used to make bongs using foil as a gauze plus other stuff i have smoked off foil. i am not 100% about the health risks even though i did read on heroin times that a woman in the USA got a brain disorder simular to parkinsons diease from smoking smack off foil.

I think your best bet and what we allways do is to run the foil first, what i mean is run the foil over a naked flame eg a lighter,open stove etc the amount of smoke that comes off is shocking.

maybe someone else will know more than i do about it but so far i seem to be in normall health, but who knows whats waiting for me a few years down the line from smoking off tin!.....:(

2 sides to foil!

Which side of teh foil are you suppose to smoke off of? Does it really matter?

I don' tdo it anymore, but when I was young and tweeked, I had to resort to foil when teh old glass pipe broke. I always thought you were suppose to smoke off the dull side(dull side up).

I wouldn't smoke ANYTHING off aluminum foil if you paid me. The risk is too great IMO.

Just get a glass pipe....cheap, and you lose less smoke, and you don't have to worry about being a blithering idiot in several decades.

BUT -

in my case.. is there much of a danger?

seeing as i've only used as infrequently as i have?

Also think about this... what about cooking with aluminum..

like grilling out?

that seems like it would be just about as dangerous

I wont' cook in aluminum pans nor will I grill with foil. I avoid aluminum like the plague.

I think you are still at risk, as you are probably exposed to aluminum in other ways. It all adds up over a lifetime.

Aluminum foil burns...

Ever seen that thick black smoke puffing of a piece of foil, just a hunch... cant be good for you

Come on here..... Aluminium is NON COMBUSTBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The black smoke you see is soot .

There are far better materials to use, but aluminium is harmless.

I can't believe this myth still persists. 8)

Last edited:
Its black smoke all the same...

but yet on occasion ill puff my rox outta foil, i.e Nestle Crunch Chocolate bars foil wrapping because I wanna.

Go take a lighter to a piece of foil and tell me that its soot...8(

Smoke with the shiny side down (don't know how much of a difference this makes, but it was taught to me as "the right way"). Whenever I do this, I run the peice of foil over the flame, and a lot of smoke comes off. I can't imagine it making a difference but there is LESS smoke off of the foil when I do it. I don't know..it's a bad thing to do. I am guilty of occasional "foiling" though..hehe. Just moderate and be careful is my advice. I'm hoping the world will end before I feel any of the effects of my drug use. Haha (joke)...

Let me get this straight……. you actually believe that the metal (somehow) is catching on FIRE and turning into a toxic gas?

What part of NON-COMBUSTABLE do you not understand!!

I am not making this up... does your aluminum cook pan create billowing clouds of black smoke when you fry an egg? Soot (carbon) isn’t the best thing in the world to inhale, but nor is a burning organic, compound of unknown purity.

While you nurse your paranoia, here is a short list of some of the other things that you should avoid containing aluminum.

antacids
antiperspirants
municipal water supplies
baking powder
self-rising flour
cake mix
pancake batter
frozen dough
nondairy creamers
table salt
processed cheese
hemorrhoid preparations

The list goes on........

does your aluminum cook pan create billowing clouds of black smoke

No but when I smoke off foil it tends to happen, I never said that foil is combustable. I said it cant be good to inhale that black smoke. I have had pieces of foil that seem to ignite with continuous direct flame. I dont know whats actually igniting/smoking though, whatever it is doesnt seem healthy

relax...

Aluminum foil CAN burn. I know because I've burned a hole in mine while smoking off it. Hehe

Metal may not actually 'burn' but it is affected by heat. As MynameisnotDeja just pointed out, it 'wears' when you use it, where oh disenters, do you think the missing aluminum foil goes?
yep, thats it, it goes up... into you. Aluminium is not particularly good for you and aluminium foil releases mildly toxic gases when you heat it. (and unless I'm very mistaken, foil is not a pure substance.)

I think small amounts are not a massive issue, but as we're exposed to aluminum so much already I think it's better not to increase the exposure when its so easy to buy a glass pipe or get a better cone peice for the bong.

Last edited: