Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Lies your parents told you as kids?

PsychoKitten

Bluelight Crew
I was thinking today about a couple of our pets that ran away when we were children, out of curiosity I asked mum about them and she said "oh no the dog ate that rabbit and that kitten drowned in the pool because it got caught under the pool cover, no we took that dog back to the pound because it was too much and kept knocking you kids over"

I was absolutely horrified that these pets that we had mourned and searched (I mean seriously they took us to search the streets for the dog that ran away) for had really suffered quite different fates.

So what did your parents tell you when you were children that as an adult you have found to be lies?

That i was the milkman's daughter

They still tell me i'm the milkman's daughter ... =D

apart from the usual santa clause and easter bunny stuff, i'm pretty sure my parents were honest with me in most regards, and i think that it was for the best. not criticising anyone else's parent's (it's not that big an issue :)), but i *do* think that honesty is the best policy with these sorts of things - it almost feels like it's condoning lying in other ways.

not that it worked for me - i lied my arse off to my parents all through childhood 8(

Heres a funny one my friends dad told her...

You know those big balls on the high voltage power lines? He told her they were from kangaroos jumping over then and getting their nutsack caught.

My mum was (and is) a complete nutter, in the nicest sense of the word.

Her world was completely made up of fantasy, and thus, so was mine.

~ Up until age 15 I still believed in Santa Claus.

~ I believed our car could "talk" (mum used her foot on the brake while we were driving along)

~ I was convinced there were faeries in our garden, and if I just stayed out there long enough and quiet enough, I could see them. Mum encouraged this by buying me a book of faerie spells to make them appear, and we spent hours lying on our stomachs staring into the herb garden saying "shhhh... I think I heard something".

~ Our Easter Bunny hid eggs all over the backyard and even left little notes with bunny footprints.

~ I thought our cat could really communicate with his mind, so I told mum and she'd egg me on, saying "did you hear that?"

There's many, many more... but all just harmless lies to encourage my imagination I think.

^^^ re: what i said in my original post. i guess i kinda *forgot* about the entire issue of imagination. like i said, i think that it's better that adults never (or at least, very rarely) lie to their kids. otoh, and as *you* said, a few lies here and there can really encourage and nurture a child's imagination, and that's a *hugely* important thing, imo.

so i guess it's just a matter of *trying* to find that healthy balance. hmm, if i'm ever a parent (doubt it :p) i might not be the best, but i'll certainly have 'interesting' kids =D

The usuals :)

1. Santa Claus (until he "forgot" to reply to my letter)

2. Easter Bunny (found out when I discovered Santa was a lie)

3. Tooth fairy (I used to have a pillow slip that I slept with, for some reason I believed mum when she said the tooth fairy would like to take it from me and prove I'm a big girl. I found my pillow slip in her cupboard months later)

The funny ones:

1. My dad's old car was alive. His name was Zip and he used to talk to us and make us be good all the time or he'd go mad at us. My brother walked into dad's office once and found him recording a tap and talking like Zip - BUSTED!

2. My dad had a "turbo" engine on his new car. Only to find out from our older cousin that all dad use to do was flick the air onto high :)

3. Old Black Joe. My uncle used to dress up in a balaclava and run out of our garage once a year on firecracker night (back in the days when they were legal). It wasn't until the night that my little cousin almost died of a heart attack that our parents felt too mean and came clean with their little sick joke :)

My Father has told me so many lies it's not worth mentioning...

My Mum only told me lies like "I buried Cleo", instead of telling me that she flushed her down the toilet. Cleo was one of my fish that died.

Lies like the second one I can handle.

that my dad could change his eyes around. for example swap them. he would cose hise eys hell hard and have them point inwards and i believd it

usual stuff like santa (believed till i i was 12) toothfairy and the easter bunny...

and that prince charming was actually out there *sigh* 8)

Hmm...

Only lie I've ever found out about from my folks was when we were trying to get out of Soviet Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic these days). They told me we were going on a 'holiday' to Yugoslavia. We'd been going on 'holidays' there for three years trying to get the UN to accept us as refugees. It was roughly a 1000-1 chance of us getting out but we made it on the third year. I understand why they lied to me, it was because I was 6 years old and if I opened my mouth it would have landed my entire family in jail for the rest of their lives...

So yeah I'm glad they did lol. They never tried the whole Santa Clause/Easter Bunny/Toothfairy thing cause that wasn't the go in our country. We had 'Svaty Mikulas' which translated is St. Nicholas. They admitted that the whole thing was bs right from the start, it wasn't exactly the happiest place on earth to live and there was no time for delusions.

Cheers :)

SLM, your mum sounds absolutely awesome! =D From what you said, she reminds me of my mum...my mum had a really strong sense of the absurd, I think that's where I got mine from. :)

And doofqueen, don't despair...maybe there is a prince charming...or princess or whatever...maybe they're just in training until they're good enough to deserve you and that's why you haven't met them yet :D

And Kelle, your piggy story was priceless...hehehe @ piggy moving to France... :)

My mum made me believe that when she used a mirror or a watch or something to reflect sunlight onto the walls or the ceiling, it was fairies or angels watching to make sure I was behaving myself.

And when my niece and eldest nephew were little kids, she told them that the scar on her belly from where she had a massive operation was from a shark attack.

There's prolly more but that's all I can think of at the moment....

--Raz--

Raz said:

And doofqueen, don't despair...maybe there is a prince charming...or princess or whatever...maybe they're just in training until they're good enough to deserve you and that's why you haven't met them yet :D

i like that idea ;)

BopGirl said:
2. My dad had a "turbo" engine on his new car. Only to find out from our older cousin that all dad use to do was flick the air onto high :)

[/B]

HAAHAAHAA mine too!

My dad used to tell me that his old van had turbo, he'd get me to turn on the fan and he'd rev the engine.

Took me aaaages to figure it out to:\

Her lie that lasted the longest was when she mashed potato and pumpkin together to make a ferral pototo/pumpkin mash thing, and she managed to convince me that it butter that made it go yellow, and that there was no pumpkin in there. It took me until I was about 14 to realise she was lying.
Oh god, so did my parents. But their take on it was they were special potatoes from Nelson Bay (the place we always went on holidays) and that all good surfers ate them. I still refuse to eat pumpkin but I really love my Nelson Bay spud. ;)

schiz: i don't know if this is insensitive, and i don't mean to do that, but that sounds like you'd have an *awesome* story to tell, if that makes sense... :\

My dad's car literally did have turbo, and when I first learned to drive he told me if I ever ever ever flicked that switch the car would litererally fall apart. I was never game to test the theory.