Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pills that smell?

dEciPlE

Bluelighter
Hey guys , luv this site, first post eeek

Anyway .... Lately ive been getting alot of different and GOOD pills , this week i have some really SMELLY ones like a lichrish smell or lolly sorta smell. Wat the hell is this .. i know pills normally smell but i mean , these SMELL like lollies :D any 1 got any idea why . i havent Eztested them yet either , but how trustworthy are they now anyway:\

A strong aniseed or liquorice smell can indicate an MDMA presence... however, so can aniseed. Test 'em up. :)

they are the new doves, which i have not seen any post around on i should do it but i dont have a cam or anything :) ..... i also a similar smell with a batch of Brown/beige Supermen .. i thought they were gunna be great but they blew ass

No complaints on doves but .... possible repress i dunno

Smells of Empathy

Safrole is very often used as a starting material when synthesizing MDMA from scratch. Even MDMA synthesized from MDP2P ( see thread and the x-scores came from ) usually contains safrole as a major impurity (0.1 -1.0%)

Impurities in Commercially available MDP2P

Although pure MDMA crystal should have no smell, many pills and powders seem to smell of safrole. Even though very small amounts may pass through some processes as unreacted safrole, most undoubtedly comes from contamination.

If the smell is more like cardamon, it is indicative of the presence of the ketone (MDP2P), the unreacted precursor to MDMA and a chemical that eats through plastic! But levels are likely to be very low, even if the smell is noticable.

During a fully legit, authorized University project involving determination of safrole levels in Camphor Laurel, a flask containing safrole and solvent was on a rotary evaporator (to suck off the solvent). Everything was going smoothly when disaster struck. A shitty vacuum line gave out, the flask was flung about, and the contents liberally distributed across the bench, up the walls, over the floor and all through the rotary evap.

A year later when back at Uni, I ran into the lab assistant who remarked that he never want's to smell, camphor, safrole, aniseed or anything vaguely resembling THAT FUCKING SMELL again!!! Ever since the spill, anytime anyone turns on his precious rotary evap. THAT SICKLY SMELL is everywhere!!

So the smell of safrole really sticks around. It wouldn't take much at all for something just sitting in a room of sassafras to smell of it.

Another not so pleasant thought is that safrole is intentionally added to pills, as people tend to relate the smell to good pills, which in principle is ridiculous, as the only real in-vivo bio-activity safrole has is as a liver toxin!

Another thing to look out for is that sassafras (85-90% safrole) may be added to pills containing essentially nothing in an attempt to fool a test. Safrole will react with Marquis and Mandelin, but the colours produced are dirty brown-black and nothing like those from a classic MDMA reaction.

As Dante mentioned, a licorice/ aniseed smell can indicate PMA, made from oil of anise. Therefore its good to get acquainted with the difference in smells from the starting materials.

MDMA - from safrole - smells like root beer

PMA - from anethole - smells like aniseed

See if you can buy a small bottle of sassafrass oil. Try your pet store - as a natural delouser, or an aromatherapy shop. Get some aniseed and compare the smells. Some people can pick between them easily, but some people just don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

I once got four similar smelling oils:

sassafras
anise
camphor root bark extract
refined camphor extract

3 people were blind folded and given the oils one at a time, being told what each was as they smelled them. Then they were each asked to smell a randomly selected oil. Only one person got all 4 correct and she said she guessed between sassafras and refined camphor extract.

may i just add , THIS SITE ROX. i luv the information its so useful and greatly appreciated from me and im sure from all users
:p

The 'green fish' smell like detol...tastes fucking horrible, get a bottle of detol put a drop on your tongue and thats the taste...yuuukkk!!!!

I had to chew 3 of these little buggers...the taste was detestable, the effects were beautiful.

Well, ya can't have everything, you'd be pissed off if you put a pill in your mouth and crunched it up and tasted like peppermint...

BT ;)

Dante said:
A strong aniseed or liquorice smell can indicate an MDMA presence... however, so can aniseed. Test 'em up. :)

As Dante mentioned, a licorice/ aniseed smell can indicate PMA

When did he say that? I can't really make any sense out of his post :p

I may have misquoted Dante, but I think that's what he meant. To some people, aniseed smells like safrole and both may smell like licorice. Testing helps to discern between a PMA only tablet from a MDMA containing one.

Sorry, let me clarify.

What I meant was that there are a number of things that can smell like aniseed/licorice... and one of the main things that smells like aniseed is aniseed itself.

There's no way that the smell of a pill is going to be able to give you ANY real indication of what's inside it. Therefore, I strongly suggest testing using your reagent(s) of choice. :)

i got a pink heart pill the other day and it looks just like a lollie and when i smelt it it smelled lind of sweetish. but then grinded it up and railed it and tasted the little bit on the card and it didn't taste like sweet haha far from it....but i like the taste of MDMA so it's all good

^ I suppose there's the 'action=reward' reason... you know if you taste that harsh chemical flavour that your brain is in for a treat, so you 'like' it when you taste it; I find the taste of MDMA reasonably unpleasant, but I love tasting it. Plus, after a while you kinda get used to it, especially if you snort your pills...

BigTrancer :)

I had a black death the other night, I sat it on my toungue for a while, got the taste of liquorice for a few minutes, thought.. WTF..? then the worst taste ever kicked in, never tasted anything worse... never heard of a liquorice tasting pill before this.. shocked the hell out of me.. hehe;)

The strong aniseed smell comes in handy when you forget where exactly it was that you put them =D

Now if only I had scented house keys 8(

slu2345: Like dante was saying, the presence of an aniseed/licorice taste could indicate that they are adding a licorice/aniseed flavouring to make the pills smell stronger. This is only hypothetical, but would add to the reasoning that the smell of the pill may mean nothing and therefore it is more important to test them.

Thats

They probably smell strange because they were smuggled into the country in someone's anus.

Human Mules - Keeping Australia's rave scene going since 1980 :)

Don't forget that an aniseed smell could be unreated anethole, used to make PMA. As an indication, use the permanganate test for alkenes. It's not yet a sure-fire test (working on that) but a positive result - loss of colour - indicates the likely presence of safrole or anethole

Permanganate test for Alkenes

If the compound smells more sweet/fruity like caramel/vanilla, then it may be piperonal or anisaldehyde, but I would suggest it is probably more likely to be anethole (fennel/licorice smell) or safrole (root beer, double sass. etc).

If you think it's anisaldehyde or piperonal, you can find details on the Tollen's Silver test for aldehydes here

Another perhaps easier test for aldehydes is the Fehling's test