Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 04 Jun 03: Drug tests for soldiers

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Drug tests for soldiers
By NEIL WILSON
04jun03

SOLDIERS face random drug and alcohol tests under plans already in place for police.

The army is completing the purchase of breath test kits so random tests can be ready to start from July 1.
The changes across the Australian Defence Force remain subject to final approval by the chiefs of the three armed services.

ADF personnel can already be tested for drug or alcohol if commanders have a reasonable suspicion they are suffering from substance abuse.

But the move towards random alcohol tests comes as army command conceded there was a minority of soldiers who are problem drinkers.

The alcohol move is a prelude to random drug testing, to be implemented over the next 12-18 months after the alcohol tests are bedded down.

The Federal Government does not believe drug abuse is widespread in the ADF but in the latest incident seven soldiers of the 16th Air Defence Regiment face demotion or dismissal over cannabis possession.

The Australian Defence Force Federation, the professional association among service personnel, confirmed the army's plans are well under way.

Assistant Defence Minister Danna Vale is to make an announcement in coming weeks.

The alcohol policy is expected to be zero tolerance in line with the existing drug policy.

A spokeswoman for Mrs Vale said the only allowance would be for small amounts of alcohol consistent with medications or perfumes.

The minister's office refused clearance for ADF officers to speak to the Herald Sun on the issue.

But army personnel chief Colonel Mick Kehoe told the Army newspaper that while the drug and alcohol problem within the army was confined to small numbers of soldiers, the impact was not.

"If a member has a test result indicating he or she is under the influence of alcohol, the commander will have a range of administrative actions to pursue depending on the circumstances and the severity," Col. Kehoe said.

Actions could range from an informal warning to discharge action.

Defence Force Association industrial officer Graham Howatt said the federation had not been consulted by the ADF but supported the move in principle.

"We would not oppose anything that would contribute to making the working environment safer," he said.

"But you wouldn't want it to be seen as a deliberate attempt to entrap people or to target them so they can be thrown out."

Mr Howatt said the aim should be the rehabilitation of anyone who may have a problem, not dismissal from the ADF.

RSL state president Major-General David McLachlan backed random drug and alcohol tests as being consistent with community standards.

General McLachlan, army logistics chief until 1994, said he supported zero tolerance because soldiers often used highly dangerous equipment.The move comes as Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said she was near agreement with the Police Association on a policy of random checks for police.

From:http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6540740%5E662,00.html

BigTrancer :)

"But you wouldn't want it to be seen as a deliberate attempt to entrap people or to target them so they can be thrown out."

Mr Howatt said the aim should be the rehabilitation of anyone who may have a problem, not dismissal from the ADF.
Encouraging words, IMHO.

:)

But that is exactly what it will be used for. It will be a tool for CO's, Divisional Officers or whomever to harass subordinates they don't particularly like.

The whole ADF Drug and Alcohol policy is a joke. I have a close friend who is in the ADF and know from attending defence functions with her that alcohol abuse is RAMPANT - and even encouraged, to some degree - within the military culture. If some of the alcohol-induced behavior I have seen at these functions made it into the media, there would be an uproar.

And the current ADF drug policy is "Zero Tolerance", meaning that if you are found in possession of an illicit substance, you are to be dismissed fullstop (no exceptions). Yet my friend has told me of a number of cases where ADF individuals were found in possession of illicit substances ranging from cannabis to MDMA to cocaine and NOT discharged - some not even charged within the military discipline system. This is largely due to ADF problems in recruitment/retainment of personnel. They need anyone they can get at the moment, especially the RAN.

I'm not anti-drug (I'm anti-meth, but that's another story) but I've seen some of the pieces of equiment these kids operate and frankly, it'd be reassuring to have a level of random tests for those operating dangerous and/or expensive pieces of equipment, but I know it would just be used as a tool of harassment.

The Facts

Alcohol abuse is not just rampant in the Australian Defense Forces it’s a socially enforced and accepted part of the training. Members who did not drink or do not participate alcohol based activities (Sport, BBQ’s, Family days, etc) are considered soft and are quickly ostracized. Drinking in moderation or infrequently again is considered a soft activity and pressure is applied to members who don’t keep up with the ‘team’. The idea that it is discouraged by the upper ranks is a farce with junior members often exposed to heavy drinking and encouraged to engage in it by their superiors.

Drug abuse in all forms though not openly discussed or visible is also widespread in The ADF on and off duty. The use of Amphetamines during training as well as other easily available stimulants like Psudoephadine is frequent and in some cases common practice. Members are often placed in high stress scenarios while sleep deprived with training often contributing to 20+ hours a day over an extended period. The inability to perform ones duty again is considered soft, it is easy for a member to choose a stimulant in these cases and continue to do so. The use of marijuana, ecstasy and amphetamines while off duty is common throughout all ranks. Though members are not commonly involved in systematic supply and distribution the use is however frequent and widespread.

It would be foolhardy to believe that both these issues can be solved by random testing and severe disciplinary action. What the defense force needs to do is accept that there is a problem, accept that it is widespread an institute some sort of counseling and rehabilitation program. If the defense force discharged every member found guilty of a drug or alcohol offence we would be left with a military that would struggle to man a Field Gun.

JoKeR =D

I am currently in the ADF and atm we can be breath tested at any time if we are under suspicion of being intoxicated whilst on duty.......and yea alcohol abuse is commonplace and is also incouraged......we will hold a pissup for any excuse.

dont forget, a lot of defence force bases have their bars/watering holes/pubs .... the prices of drinks is unbelievablely CHEAP! even for those preimium beers like Crown, Hahn and James Boags I have lost how many time I got blind drunk for $25 compared spending $25 at your local pub. My mate's in the army and I am often invited along for beers and I only go for one reason: CHEAP GROG!

Defences Forces is a fucking joke, a lot I know are pill poppers, potheads and snorters at the bases, I could be very rich if I decided to become a drug dealer for them, but I am not that desprate enough...... there's too many lost souls at the Defence Forces Departments that turn to drugs instead to grog.... why did they make the grog prices so cheap in the firt place? aye?

Its a fucking joke believe me, I have seen it all with my own eyes, I can image if I went undercover with a spy camera to those army piss ups for these cuurent affairs TV programs, I could make a lot of money to fund for my next overseas trip 8) and it will easily cause a national uproar.

Its all bullshit.

Urbanhog %)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You must be a saint. Sounds like you should become a current affairs reporter. Its so easy to bag the military, everybody just jumps right on that old band wagon. For a start there are arouond 20,000 people in the army I really dont see it as surprising that there is alcohol and drug abuse. I'm not saying its a good thing, but hell dont the majority do their job? Isnt the Australian soldier recognised as one of the most proffesional in the world? Does not sound like a joke to me.

PS.

I hope your mates know how good a mate your are seeing your ONLY going for the cheap grog

Last edited:
non20.gif
I'm stopping this fight before it starts, keep it on topic please without flaming.

BigTrancer.

Sorry everyone. I know that was a bit out of line. It just gets me really angry when people just bag the military, even the cops. Its just to easy to do. Then we sit on high acting like we know or could do better.

^^^ yeah I get what you mean, Alex, I shouldnt be bagging them, of course they are very very professional workers/soilders, its just what they do afterhours is a joke IMO, and yes my mates know that I only go there for cheap piss, they used that excuse to get me tag along with them ;)

sorry guys.

Urbanhog %)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/16/1058035069293.html

Film about the military goes under fire
July 17 2003

A film depicting drug-addicted US soldiers rampaging in Europe is touching a raw nerve in the US even before it opens, writes Hugh Davies in Los Angeles.

A dark comedy film about the US military, which opens with a painting of the Stars and Stripes being stamped on by soldiers, is expected to raise a political storm.

Buffalo Soldiers depicts rampant heroin use and trafficking by bored soldiers in Germany and the theft of truckloads of Pentagon property, including guns that are sold to gangsters.

A poster advertising the film shows Joaquin Phoenix, playing an army spiv, in combat fatigues with an ammunition belt wrapped around his neck, saying: "Steal all you can steal."

[... cont'd at the above URL]

BigTrancer :)