Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Legal mumbo jumbo (research chemicals)

sixthseal.com

Bluelighter
Hello everyone. I've got an exam regarding this and I hope to get some input regarding this issue from everyone. This is the newest version of Victoria's Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 (updated 24/04/2002):
Link
I see:
N, N-DIETHYLTRYPTAMINE
N, N-DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
5-METHOXY- N, N-DIETHYLTRYPTAMINE
5-METHOXY- N, N-DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
which are
DET
DMT
5-MeO-DMT
5-MeO-DET

Does this mean that things like 5-MeO-AMT (5-Methoxy-a-methyltryptamine) and DPT (N,N-Diisopropyltryptamine) are not scheduled (quasi legal)? Would those be covered by some analogue law? Any help would be appreciated, I got this in the review questions and despite extensive reading I still couldn't find a definative answer. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Fixed URL

I think they're pretty much covered by this section from your link:

"drug of dependence" means a substance that is--

(a) a drug--
..(i) specified in column 1 of Part 1 of Schedule Eleven or added thereto by regulations made under section 12M; or
..(ii) included in a class of drug specified in column 1 of Part 1 of Schedule Eleven or added thereto by regulations made under section 12M; or

(b) any fresh or dried parts of any plant specified in column 1 of Part 2 of Schedule Eleven or added thereto by regulations made under section 12M; or

(c) a drug--
..(i) specified in column 1 of Part 3 of Schedule Eleven or added thereto by regulations made under section 12M; or
..(ii) included in a class of drug specified in column 1 of Part 3 of Schedule Eleven or added thereto by regulations made under section 12M--
and includes--

(d) any form of a drug specified in column 1 of Part 1 or column 1 of Part 3 of Schedule Eleven, whether natural or synthetic, and the salts, derivatives and isomers of that drug and any salt of those derivatives and isomers; and

(e) any--
..(i) drug specified in, or drug included in a class of drug specified in column 1 of Part 1 or column 1 of Part 3 of Schedule Eleven, whether natural or synthetic; or
..(ii) salts, derivatives or isomers of a drug specified in column 1 of Part 1 or column 1 of Part 3 of Schedule Eleven; or
..(iii) salt of any derivative or isomer mentioned in sub-paragraph

(ii)-- contained in or mixed with another substance;

BigTrancer :)

thanks for the info. a ?, for those with actual experience in import, pls reply in private if prefer - would the oz customs agent in charge of the package in question take the trouble to refer to or recall these particular reglaments?

ie, would these questionable "analogues / derivatives" pose more or less difficulties in import than say the Piracetam / Deprenyl?

would having a pharms R&D company at disposal facilitate the cutoms clearing process via legitimate research claims?

many thanks for qualified replys.

My first suggestion would be to contact the Theraputic Goods Administration and check.

Generally, these days all of the research chemicals seem to be classed as analogues of some kind. If you want to order some then you're pretty much breaking the law to get them, particularly with chemicals such as 2C-T-7 which enjoyed quasi-legal status for ages, but have now been 'emergency scheduled' in the USA. If you're trying to order something that IS scheduled, then don't even bother about trying to get it through customs.

Normally if you want to import some research chemicals you have to prearrange with the supplier to send it in an inconspicuous manner that will not be checked by customs, and hope that it gets through unnoticed. Some suppliers will deliberately mis-label the product for you, so that it appears to be a small sample of a legal chemical. This would be something you would have to sort out with the supplier prior to purchase.

Even if you're ordering a whole gram or something it's a very small package (I say 'even if' because some suppliers will do orders as small as 125mg, and quite often with research chemicals that will be enough for 10+ doses). There should be no need to have the order sent inside a box that would be subject to X-ray or inspections. Remember that being busted carries a charge of 'being knowingly concerned with the importation' of an analogue of a scheduled drug.

BigTrancer said:
Generally, these days all of the research chemicals seem to be classed as analogues of some kind. If you want to order some then you're pretty much breaking the law to get them, particularly with chemicals such as 2C-T-7 which enjoyed quasi-legal status for ages, but have now been 'emergency scheduled' in the USA.
Australia (and most of the world) doesn't have 'analogue laws' AFAIK. Can anyone confirm this?

I thought this part of our Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act (1981) covered them:

d) any form of a drug specified in column 1 of Part 1 or column 1 of Part 3 of Schedule Eleven, whether natural or synthetic, and the salts, derivatives and isomers of that drug and any salt of those derivatives and isomers;

But, I'm not a legal student, so I can't confirm it. But, anyway if you get busted with capsules containing powder that cause drug effects you'll probably be charged as if they were illegal drugs regardless of what they are.

If anyone has clues about the status of research chemicals in Australia, please let us know.

Fuckin'A we have an analogues bill, it's just no-one's heard of a case where the legislation has been used. But if you look at this list, there's hardly any small molecule which is exempt!
As far as genuine research is concerned, this is fucking overkill - totally. It doesn't stop people making illicit drugs - they already break the law. So all it does is hamper legit research!
Grrrr...*%$% bureaucratic pen pushing rule writers.....

A substance (“drug analogue”) which is, in relation to another substance (being a drug of dependence or a substance specified elsewhere in this Schedule, or a stereoisomer, a structural isomer (with the same constituent groups) or an alkaloid of such a drug or substance)—

(a) a stereoisomer;

(b) a structural isomer having the same constituent groups;
(c) an alkaloid;

(d) a structural modification notionally obtained in 1 or more of the following ways:
(i) by the replacement of up to 2 carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures with different carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures;
(ii) by the addition of hydrogen atoms to 1 or more unsaturated bonds;
(iii) by the addition of 1 or more of the following groups, namely alkoxy, cyclic diether, acyl, acyloxy, mono-amino and dialkylamino groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in any alkyl residue; alkyl, alkenyl and alkynyl groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in the group, where the group is attached to oxygen (for example, an ester or an ether group), nitrogen, sulphur or carbon; and halogen, hydroxy, nitro and amino groups;
(iv) by the replacement of 1 or more of the groups specified in subparagraph (iii) with another such group or groups;
(v) by the conversion of a carboxyl or an ester group into an amide group; or

(e)otherwise an homologue, analogue, chemical derivative or substance substantially similar in chemical structure;
however manufactured or actually obtained, except where the drug analogue—
(f) is a drug of dependence;
(g) is separately specified in this Schedule;
(h) is specified in a Schedule to the Poisons and Drugs Act 1978; or
(i) is specified in the Schedule to the Public Health
(Prohibited Drugs) Act 1957 The minimum traffickable quantity
and the minimum commercial quantity, respectively, of ......

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/sl/1993-14/19980619-167/rtf/1993-14.rtf

Last edited: