Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Life as a bluelight moderator?

KiNeTic_BoY

Ex-Bluelighter
What is life like being like a bluelight moderator? I really want to know as I really love bluelight. More to the point I think I would be an intangible asset to such a site. Thnanks for your time guys :)
Hug da kitty~~~~~~~=^,,^=

Ps, please do not close this thread, I really would like to know more...thanks. I think others might too, hug da kitty~~~~~`

Well what exactly do you want to know? Because in answer to the only real specific part of your question - it's a real pain in the arse sometimes cos I've gotta deal with stuff like this...

Hmm, that just the negative side of the 'job' how about you tell me some of the positives yeah?

Well I get to moderate a forum where something I say might just stop someone from having a hospital trip. That's a noice feeling if you ask me.
But yes it can be a lot of work but it can be worthwhile.

Well... there's probably only one positive - that we are helping keep this board alive and running smoothly because it means so much to a lot of people. But that one positive outweighs all the other negative stuff...
Seriously, we have to be kill-joys sometimes, have to close people's threads (which always hurts someone's feelings somehow), have to deal with flame wars and try to diffuse them, have to watch out for trolls and attempt to stop them from disrupting the place, have to make sure that the forum runs smoothly, have to read every thread even though most of them aren't all that interesting, have to email people and give them guideance when needed, have to archive the good threads and trim the excess (a very time consuming process), have to hold back a lot of the time because people apparantly look at us as examples of how to behave, have to cop shit from all angles because every thing I've just mentioned will piss someone off and they'll say we should have done it some other way, and a million other little trivial time-consuming and not so exciting tasks that are essential to keeping the board in the best shape possible...
It's not glamourous, and if people want to do it they have to be pretty commited...
Does that answer your question? :)
[ 07 June 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Pleonastic, I guess so, I still find it the most interesting site. So, it is more the satisfaction of helping people. Or is it more for your love of rave culture and the people you meet here. This is probably more directed at Social Moderators, I think the satisfaction for the Drug Advice Mods has its own rewards.

I can promise you it's not for my love of rave culture... ;)
Remember that this isn't actually a rave site - as much as social might apear that way sometimes. This site always has been and always will be about drugs and harm minimisation.

Yes that is true, do you think should be more attention give to the harm reduction side of things ie maybe make the font for 'drug advice' a lil bigger then for the general topics. Just an idea, hey do you guys have any 'special perks'?

DJ Kitty:
I know you're asking because you'd like to be a moderator. Don't give up - I heard Pleo and the others talking about making you one (Pleo acts like he hates everyone, but that's his way of saying he likes people - don't take it personally :) ).
All you have to do is make sure you keep asking them if you can be a mod :)
*runs from the angry Pleo*

Nah, leave it upto you guys ;) Too much trouble man, think I best just spend time going to raves maybe the best way I can have positive effect on the scene.
*End transmission*
Ps, Still like being a bluelighter though
Hug da kitty~~~~~^^

2 years of lurking and you guys never fail to crack me up at some stage or other.
As an outsider of sorts, I've had the luxury of being in Bluelight without really being in Bluelight, an observer if you will. Bluelight has grown over the years from a small community with a common interest, more than the drugs themselves, but about LEARNING about drugs and drug experiences. At one stage, it was in my opinion that Bluelight became somewhat of a "rave" site with little cliques, flame wars and trolls. All of the above is still true but now I see a greater balance. What shaped Bluelight is not merely the moderators doing their job, it is the Bluelighters that are willing to take the guidance and advice of the moderators, who may sometimes seem and be abusive. However, all this when taken with a pinch of salt, is certainly for the better. The mods have done a good job IMHO, and anyone who wishes to be a mod, and I believe anyone can be one, should take a cue from these people, model their commitment, attitude, change what is not-so-good if necessary.
Ok, that's my ramble for today. Enjoy y'all.

syke: Well said! :) And thanks to everyone that has helped us out - we sometimes only notice the people that are making our job hard, but there are so many more people that are following what we're trying to do and helping make it work... :)
Cheers for the comments... :)
[ 07 June 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Perks: Nah... not really - I mean, the pay sucks but getting all that oral sex at parties makes up for it.
BigTrancer ;)