• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valerian and DPH last night, benzo today safe?

Zeon

Greenlighter
I took 400mg valerian and 50mg diphenhydramine last night to sleep. After 12 hours I have now taken diazepam at 5mg. Am I at risk for respiratory depression and how will I notice if it happens? I have asthma, does that makes respiratory depression more dangerous? Thanks

You could mix all those at once and still wouldn't be at risk for respiratory depression. Not to mention 5mg of diazepam is not much even to someone with no tolerance. You're fine & being overly cautious

It's good to be careful Zeon. In this case, you're even safer than you were with the diazepam and codeine a few weeks back.

And yes, I still have your MPD plus Vyvanse post in my To Get Back To pile. You are ahead of the Addicted to Ritalin thread in the queue for the day when I have some of kind of published pharmacological anything on the two drugs taken together.

Diphenhydramine does not cause respiratory depression in healthy people, even in massive overdose, unless I am dead and died like three more times after that. Valerian is mostly just a random powder sold as a root product in health food stores.

Even the benzodiazepines aren't especially risky for forgetting to breathe. That comes when you mix them with lots of alcohol, and even then I bet it's less "respiratory depression" as it is entering a coma and dying.

The resp. depression thing is really all about the opioids; it's their special medical scythe grimly reaping people across the country. But, mixing CNS depressants, like you did, carry a blanket risk: they may depress your nervous system enough that they depress those breathing nerves too. It's much simpler to simply drape that blanket equally across all CNS depressants than memorize complex lists and all the exceptions and caveats and unknown variables.

Asthma is definitely not respiratory depression. If anything, during an attack your respiration is pretty excited. It's the tubes in between the air outside you and the air inside that want to close up. There might be complications with severe asthma and opioid overdose, but I'd bet that they're the opposite of making you somehow miss not breathing.