• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methylphenidate addiction

Ritalin addicted

Greenlighter
Hello guys,

I am taking ritalin due to public employment examination. I have abused a lot ritalin and have been tokd to try vyvanse. Ritalin doesn't help me anymore. Will vyvanse help? I don't have motivation, have issues with concentration, etc. I am takin 20pills of ritalin 20mg daily.

I hope that's a typo? You don't actually eat 20 methylphenidate every day?

OK your post history suggests yes, in fact you do. I'm wondering if you haven't just saturated your transporters back on pill number 4 though. You may be just pissing away a lot of your dose. Even if you aren't, you need to get that habit taken care of before you bother with Vyvanse (which would be pretty dissatisfying, I'd have to think).

I am taking 20 pills yes but in 2 weeks I will quit as my exam will be over. I guess vyvanse won't work but well, ritalin doesn't work anymore for me. I have to try something different as I can't concentrate. I have been told vyvanse could help me to decrease ritalin.

Not likely. I'm still unsure on this, but don't believe amphetamines would have much effect on a person if they also take methylphenidate. Especially if they take as much as you claim to. This is definitely something you need to stop though. Ritalin isn't going to "work" for you again until you've been off of it for several months at this point.

Yes you're right, I can't do anything to improve concentration. I will fail the exam, will have another chance next year.

Yes you're right, I can't do anything to improve concentration. I will fail the exam, will have another chance next year.

Try getting angry. Really, really angry. It worked wonders for my concentration for exams.

Or you could, you know quit now and recover in time for your exam, or at the least lower your tolerance to where it would help.

I think you've psyched yourself out, and probably know the material better than you think, but I agree that laying off the Ritalin would be a big help.

Yes, you have two whole weeks to taper down to a more appropriate dosage. In fact, you could cold-turkey now, and return to a doctor-prescribed TWO pills right before, and nail it. Honestly it sounds like you're having test anxiety more than concentration difficulties. Methylphenidate may not be the right med in this situation.

I also assume you're not American? Because most civil service exams here top out at "can you sit for extended periods and gain weight despite eating only a granola bar for lunch?" Amazingly, there is no test (not even for drugs) to open everyone's tax returns. This is helpful for yr. mod, who can translate his advanced degrees into a quick envelope-opening-and-form-stamping overtime cash infusion for a year's worth of meth every spring. Until it goes fully e-file by 2020, anyway.

Mr. Ritalin, maybe switch out for clonidine for a while? It will keep you calm while also promoting attention (once you get used to feeling sleepy). It is the Zen stimulant.

Hi, thank you very much for your replies. I am from Europe, the exam is for public employment. We have to take a drug test in case we pass but you have one month after you know you have passed. It is urine test. So one month is enough to pass that test.
It's almost impossible I pass this exam as is my first year but I want at least to pass the first one and do a good test.
The only solution that comes to my mind is quitting2 days and take again ritalin. However, 2 days will not be enough to clean my receptors and in those 2 days I will have to stay in bed.
I finally gave a try to vyvanse, 140mg this morning, no effect. I don't have any solution unfortunately, Adderall isn't sold in this country.
I have klonopin, I have been taking for the last 4 days, 0,5mg. Nothing. One of the things I will do is not taking quetiapine tonight (50mg). These drugs also cause lack of concentration and memory issues btw.
As I am tapering, tomorrow I will take 18 ritalin, and probably give a new try to vyvanse unless you recommend me quitting 2 days and restart.
Have a nice day

Considering you have 15 days from now until your exam, that's enough time to lower your tolerance and recover enough so that these things would be effective.

Have you ever experienced ritalin 20pills daily withdrawal? I wouldn't be able to do a damn thing until the exam. Just stay in bed

There is no real physical withdrawal, I used 2 grams of meth a day for 2 years, then quit cold turkey. You'll be tired and a little foggy and exhausted for a few days, maybe a week, after that you'll be fine.

I was only down for 4 days after meth, which is by far a much more powerful stimulant.

Honestly, even one day off can make a world of difference. Just one day off of the stimulants. That said, if you're abusing stimulants and can't stop, you shouldn't be in school, you should be in rehab

Yes, OP, you still have time to take a day or two off work, go cold turkey and sleep the whole time, waking up only long enough to eat a quart of ice cream. You will feel terrible for two days, as in, sad, otherwise not even sick to your stomach (except for all the ice cream). That's what you could expect after smoking a gram of crystal meth a day for months; I doubt cold turkey off Ritalin would be much worse. Compared to all the other things out there offering a rich tapestry of withdrawal symptoms to suffer through, this one should barely count. After a week off, you can resume your methylphenidate usage at normal doses, and probably be much more productive than you were at great overdose.

It's like all stimulants, even coffee: two cups may make you alert and running differential equations in your head like it's reciting the alphabet; but your four 20oz. Starbucks with added espresso shots just leaves you jittery with a pounding headache, growing anxiety with paranoia, and at the very least, needing to pee too bad to actually concentrate on test taking.

Like I mentioned, you may have just been saturating your transporters long before you ever got to 22 pills a day anyway, meaning you're technically not on as much as you think. And as long as you're on that much methylphenidate, you shouldn't expect to have much reaction to amphetamine, whether in Adderall, Dexedrine, biker speed or Vyvanse formulations.

One thing that definitely doesn't help with concentration is a benzo habit. Maybe, given your rising anxiety, they could do you some good; but a better option is still cutting back on the stimulants and getting some extra sleep. Benzos are no better than a shot of bourbon for helping you study. Quetiapine will actually counteract some of your methylphenidate mechanism (by blocking all that extra dopamine from activating certain receptors) at high doses, and at low doses is just an expensive, powerful anti-histamine. Those also aren't known for aiding concentration.

You have plenty of time to take a break and reset your brain. There's nothing to fear in just stopping the Ritalin tomorrow.

Difficult situation guys, I know I should take at least one week off but having the exam in 14 days, I don't know what my reation would be of no studying at all. Although you say I have plenty of time, man, 2 weeks only left, this is not a university tipical test, the rest of the students have been studying this for years....one week can be determing.