• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do we have an explanation/reason on why loperamide causes extreme muscle fatigue?

StartedHydro

Bluelighter
I just read for first time today that others have experienced the same muscle fatigue from high dose loperamide.

I?m talking about... lifting 10-15 lbs to carry walking 30 feet and after the first 5-8 feet my arms would be burning while I fought the fatigue my arms would start to shake very bad. All over 15lbs moving only 30 feet. Only time... it happens is on high dose loperamide.

Do we have an explanation on why/how this happens?

^ This

High dose loperamide, if it must be done, is TEMPORARY; it has high binding affinity, and typically long acting, don? recall T1/2 off hand though think medium-long maybe?

After a couple days, you can actually take half the dose because of buildup, then skip a day; however you then need taper down, quickly(gradual taper though every day or two a drip on dose)

LOPERAMIDE IS DANGEROUS- IT IS TOXIC AND NOT TI BE TOYED WITH- If you function then taper NOW and get that dose down; if it is a very high dose or you are using inhibitors(properly) the DROP THE DOSE NOW SIGNIFICANTLY

Sorry it is just if you continue taking high dose loperamide or raise your dose or accidentally take a -mycin anti-biotic muscle spasms will be the least of your worries; and eventually you can get to a point where you have a long and severe wd from lope anyway, so taper now-trust me

It?s bad for your heart so that?s why you are tired from lifting and walking .

I had quite a bit of experience with lope back in the day when my painkiller script wouldn't last the month (what a surprise there).... But I never experienced this muscle fatigue..and I'm a powerlifter/bodybuilder so I would have noticed maybe more than most.. And I'm talkinh quite large doses too (120-240mg/day...dangerous - don't try this....but at the time I didn't care...

Lorne is correct about the long duration of action and the "dose build up" type effect.. something else I noticed was that it would often take a day or 2 to start feeling that the lope was working which could trick a person into taking too much on the first day...just remember that you tend not to feel better within an hour or 2 like with other opiods...taking a dose of lope at say 9:00am, on day 1, I wouldn't start to really feel much better until evening...and not really well until half way through day 2 after my second dose..

As for potentiators, I found 500ml of white grapefruit juice to work fine, as for some reason tagamet is prescription only in the UK...

I found lope much better for temporarily bridging between scripts than CWE codeine as if you have a really big tollerance, codeine just doesn't seem that effective...

But yeah, never noticed any weakness

It?s bad for your heart so that?s why you are tired from lifting and walking .

That's not how it works..it can cause extended QT syndrome (torsades de point) but that doesn't necessarily mean it will, or that it would translate into immediate muscle weakness.

I do not know why... But I definitely noticed muscle weakness while on it. I had to put some couch cushion covers back on my couch and it felt like running a marathon. I was exhausted after. Also, I have a friend that came off methadone with loperamide and he was taking 48mg a day. He said walking 5 steps felt like walking 100.

I do not know why... But I definitely noticed muscle weakness while on it. I had to put some couch cushion covers back on my couch and it felt like running a marathon. I was exhausted after. Also, I have a friend that came off methadone with loperamide and he was taking 48mg a day. He said walking 5 steps felt like walking 100.

Id love to know what the medical reason for that is...

It must be a "thing" at least for some people as several have mentioned it.....but it doesn't seem to do it to everyone...

Lope is a bad idea really, but then again so is taking drugs in the first place so what can you do?