Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The Amazon Prime Mega-Thread v. ...Is it better than Netflix now?

Cream Gravy?

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys, I saw we had a Netflix Mega-Thread, but not one for Prime, so here we are! Amazon is really on the tail of Netflix these days, offering better originals and a wider variety of other content as well :p

I've been binging on Top Gear at the moment, they have a great many more seasons than Netflix currently offers (read: I want to hear about older cars I can afford 8)) and they've got that new Grand Tour show now as well.

If you've got Prime and you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend Long Strange Trip as well. Blew the Netflix Bob Weird documentary out of the water in terms of depth and breadth 8o

I got amazon prime video with my amazon prime account (got it for same day delivery etc). Ireally don’t rate it. I watch man in the high castle and couldn’t get in to it at all. Netflix is far better in my opinion.

My mate told me that you still have to pay to watch a lot of the videos on amazon prime - is this true?

My mate told me that you still have to pay to watch a lot of the videos on amazon prime - is this true?

Yeah there’s a lot of TV stuff for free but from what I remember most of the movies (good ones at least) you have to pay for. Waste of money imo unless you’re getting prime for the delivery and cheaper prices on some items.

If you research and take advantage of all the shit that comes with Prime it’s one of the best values there is.

Do you mean just prime video or amazon prime in general?

To be fair I haven't been on prime video in like a year so things may have changed.

Was Mr.Robot on prime? I literally love that show but just downloaded as i cancelled my prime subscription.

Prime in general. It pays for itself with the free 2 day shipping. Everything else is a bonus. Full access to Prime Video, discount on Amazon Music Unlimited.

Early access to lightning deals.
Twitch Prime
Prime Reading
Six month free trial of the Washington Post (online)
Prime Photos (Unlimited photo storage, 5gb storage for video/docs)

*and yeah Mr Robot is on amazon.

My wife and I started watching Tales from the Loop last night.

Two episodes in so far, they seem to be individual stories that are loosely connected. I'm enjoying it a lot actually. Good soundtrack, way better production value than your average Netflix original, and significantly better acting. Prime does fewer originals but when they do, they seem to hold up much better under scrutiny than anything Netflix produces imo.

Yeah, they have good ideas. Carnival Row, it's a good one.
My wife digs Carnival Row. Not my type of fantasy but yeah, I’m enjoying a lot more Amazon originals these days than Netflix.

Third episode of Tales from the Loop was ehh. Hopefully there next five will be better.

Got Prime for the shipping, look at Prime Video once in awhile but for the most part I stick to Netflix. Prime just didn't have the depth and breadth for me, and I disliked how you still had to pay for some things. I get the business model, but overall the selection didn't impress me.

Got Prime for the shipping, look at Prime Video once in awhile but for the most part I stick to Netflix. Prime just didn't have the depth and breadth for me, and I disliked how you still had to pay for some things. I get the business model, but overall the selection didn't impress me.
They vary the selection a lot more though; less originals, more third party content. Sure, not all of it is free, I only watch what's free. For instance they have most of the old school anthology horror tv series on Prime but Netflix has absolutely none that I can tell. They also have the Stargate series, Star Trek series... Netflix has neither now IIRC.

IMO it's almost time for me to cut the chord with Netflix, I find myself using it less and less, Prime, more and more.

I love Prime! I haven’t had Netflix going on 2 months now.

Oh, Prime has this new movie called “Invisible Life” I need to watch.

There’s a new series called “Tales From the Loop”. It looks trippy and cool.

No! There are tons of movies and shows for free.

The only thing I see these days that you have to buy are rentals which is expected. More recently, they’ve had movies that are in the theater available to rent...since people shouldn’t be out. I thought that was cool.

My wife and I started watching Tales from the Loop last night.

Two episodes in so far, they seem to be individual stories that are loosely connected. I'm enjoying it a lot actually. Good soundtrack, way better production value than your average Netflix original, and significantly better acting. Prime does fewer originals but when they do, they seem to hold up much better under scrutiny than anything Netflix produces imo.

Ooops I just saw this post. Yeah, I’m on the 2nd episode of “Tales From the Loop”. I’m liking it so far.

Billy Bob Thornton’s show ‘Goliath’ is the shit!!!

Definitely check that out if you haven’t.

I've been watching The Good Fight, because I really enjoyed The Good Wife, and it's quite good.

Good Omens was fucking brilliant. The Grand Tour goes without saying.

Amazon also has a lot of good non-original content Netflix doesn't like Mr Robot, Futurama, The Office (it's good background noise don't judge), Parks and Rec, Ali G, and previously Community but Netflix just added that.

Am glad they put Chromecast support on their app too so you don't have to buy a stupid Amazon Fire Stick to cast it on the TV. I guess they finally realised if they're trying to push a service to as many people as possible it harms that to limit full functionality to their propriety devices.

Only thing that annoys me is it shows ads when you open the mobile app and between episodes on everything. If I pay for something I shouldn't have to see ads.

And why doesn't it have the "skip intro" feature that Netflix does when you watch on TV? It did show that option when I watched on my iPad but it's still not on the TV. Why?

Crappy UX aside, it is a good service in terms of content.