• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos A topic to read if you do cold turkey off benzo right now (when will it go away??)

clearcounty

Greenlighter
for me it was day 11

I am writing this because on my worst day I was desperately searching for such a thread.

On one forum a wise thought is written:

We should also consider that those who withdraw rapidly from benzodiazepines, and suffer few or only short-term withdrawal symptoms, are unlikely to report their relative symptom-free experiences to this community. This can give members a very distorted view of what to expect - unreasonably expecting the worst. If, for whatever reason, you find yourself forced to consider rapid or accelerated withdrawal of benzodiazepines, try not to assume the worst.

That’s why I wanna share my story, as it is successful and not as frighting as all those on the web.

I also want to pay attention to the following:
I had been taking 2-1 mg of Clonazepam for 3 years - I suggest that it is not a big dose. I was also covering up with anti-epileptic drugs (read below in point 2). I found myself in cold turkey situation when I decided to just not take the pills anymore. When I started to have slight paranoia and mild hallucinations on day 7, then I realized I’m fucked :)

Without regard of the dose, speak to your doctor before withdrawing of benzo. Also consider going to the hospital if you don’t have people who can support you (read my thoughts on that in point 3). I can’t say it was that easy and actually would be impossible without my boyfriend taking full control of my survival. I’ve read some bad stories about state hospitals when withdrawing, maybe you can afford private. I have a crazy idea, but actually I would even suggest a, let's say, withdrawal downshifting, going to some country where you can do a private hospital for cheap, for example, Russia. I am originally from Russia and I’ve dealt a lot with mental houses and hospitals in Moscow, helping my relative with his long-lasting abuse. Although the health system in Russia is not perfect, money has a great power there and you will be treated nicely, staying in a private room, gentle staff, etc. All you need is to bribe everyone with like 10$ periodically :). And you will need gentle people around, trust me.

TO THOSE WHO FOUND THEMSELVES IN THE MIDDLE OF COLD TURKEY:

my peak was on DAY 9-10. It WILL be better after this.

Further please read the hacks and cover-ups I figured helped me a lot. Even more - I would not be able to get off of benzos if not some of the points:

1. Don't read all those scary topics. Just don’t. I seriously would not be here if I had read all those.
I was too stupid to start reading freaking stories in the hottest days of cold turkey and I regret it. Developed a great fright of seizures, which did not help really but surely made it worse. Thought that was calming me was that it was already day 9 and I went to see my psy doc on the day 8. The doc said, if I am over 6 days already I shouldn’t be expecting seizures anymore.

2. I covered up with the following meds, that really helped me a lot:

- Mirtazapine - an anti-depressant (mainly). N1 on my survival list. Was a MIRACLE drug for me. I was praying for night to come faster, as night was the calmest time with vivid and sexy and beautiful dreams. I was sleeping for minimum 12 hours daily - this is an adverse effect of the drug due to it’s anti-histamine action. Btw, I am still taking a similar anti-depressant now (Atarax) for depression.

- Lyrica - anti-epileptic drug, that is always helpful for me with my anxiety.

- Lamictal - anti-epileptic. Read the instructions, because you have to taper during 6 weeks before getting to the working doze.

- vitamin B12 methylated (idk if it helped)

3. Ask some person you trust - mom, sister, husband to take care of you. I really wouldn’t be able to do this without my boyfriend.

4. Have a vacation. Stay in a calm environment. Put your phone in the silent mode. I can imagine that people might be endangered by seizures more if they have to participate in some stressful situations or their body is exposed to challenging situations with rapid change of temperatures or blood pressure.

5. Buy thick curtains. Have a possibility to seal off the windows from light. All the sounds and light are unbearable. I was wearing headphones and sunglasses for a week.

I wrote this on the day 11, when I stopped having a constant panic attack as well as my hands are not shaking anymore. Hooray!!

Day 80 and I'm posting it. It really is a dreadful and memorable for life experience, but you can do it.
and sex is SO MUCH better off of nasty benzos! ;)
You will be there, buddy! 14 days to survive.