• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Citalopram and Bensiden

Zerovanity

Greenlighter
I have been prescribed benzos before whilst on Citalopram. I can get hold of some Bensiden but seen that its not to be mixed with SSRI's. Any idea why other benzos can be but this one is a no no?

It has a risk of serotonin syndrome when taken together. You don't want to have that.
There is a drug interaction checker on drugs.com where one can put in all their medications by name and check for interactions just for future reference and harm reduction for others.

I take it by Bensiden you mean the Galenika brand diazepam. If so, there's no direct adverse interaction between the two. They are frequently prescribed together especially during the initial phase. Side effects such as drowsiness may be increased. Start low to gauge any potential side effects if you do decide to take some.

Benseden appears to be a brand of diazepam/Valium. Which, like benzos in general, doesn't have any effect on serotonin uptake or release, so there's basically zero risk of serotonin syndrome.

There doesn't even seem to be any problem with liver enzymes with this combo, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Is there any reason you thought diazepam/Benseden and SSRIs were a bad idea?

Benseden appears to be a brand of diazepam/Valium. Which, like benzos in general, doesn't have any effect on serotonin uptake or release, so there's basically zero risk of serotonin syndrome.

There doesn't even seem to be any problem with liver enzymes with this combo, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Is there any reason you thought diazepam/Benseden and SSRIs were a bad idea?

Just seems to show up on here as not to take with any other SSRI's so was just wondering why this benzo is any different?: https://pharmacybook.net/bensedin/

I looked at the site you linked. They probably list it as contraindicated due to the suicidal ideation that can accompany depression or from the SSRI itself, as benzodiazepines can embolden people to act on ideas that they may not have acted on, had they been sober.

Yes, it is on the site you list, but I think they're being over-cautious. It's not any kind of chemical interaction, they're cautioning about psychological aspects of taking any benzos when you're already being treated for anxiety or depression.

If a doctor was being strict about it, adding another anti-anxiety drug would interfere with your treatment; it's why they say you shouldn't drink when you're taking an SSRI. In other words, you can't properly treat someone's psychiatric issues if they get drunk every other day. And the same is true if a person is doped up on benzos.

Also, if you're already depressed, you may react poorly to taking benzos. I don't know if it increases suicidality, but I can totally see that happening (benzos, like booze, reduce inhibitions).

Or, they're being over-cautious because some antidepressants (and citalopram especially) make people kind of sleepy, so don't take the excavator out for a spin.

Bottom line is, you should be fine with your Bensedin. But talk to your doctor if you've still got anxiety issues or the citalopram isn't working out for you.