• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Louis Theroux visits ground zero of America’s heroin epidemic in his new film, ‘Heroi

poledriver

Bluelighter
Louis Theroux visits ground zero of America’s heroin epidemic in his new film, ‘Heroin Town’

IN HIS new film, Louis Theroux meets addicts in a city at the centre of America’s heroin epidemic. It turns out all of them got hooked the same way.

IN A country that’s in the throes of a heroin epidemic, a city called Huntington in West Virginia is considered ground zero.

The statistics associated with the city of 49,000 people are shocking:

• One in four adults in Huntington are addicted to heroin or some other opiate
• One out of every 10 babies born in Huntington in 2016 was dependant on opiates
• The city has a fatal overdose rate 13 times the national average

In his new film Heroin Town, which will be released in select Australian cinemas from November 17, Louis Theroux meets addicts and those trying to help them.
Almost all of the heroin users he meets got hooked the same way. They started with legitimate pain, went to the doctor, got legal prescriptions and then got addicted. Once their prescriptions ran out, they turned to heroin, which is both cheaper and more readily available.

“It’s very heavy,” Theroux said to news.com.au about the documentary. And he’s not wrong. The scenes showing addicts injecting heroin are hard to watch, but what Theroux found even more shocking was witnessing them being revived.
“The first day we were with the fire department, you get called somewhere and you just see this guy who is lying on the ground looking blue around the lips and with a very grey face,” the 47-year-old recounted.

“They spike him with this device they all carry called Narcan [a medicine that blocks the effects of opioids and reverses an overdose] and seeing the person come back to life, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before or since.”
What he found just as shocking was the reaction of the addicts once they were brought back to life by the paramedics.

“Whereas I had thought they might have said, ‘Thanks for saving my life,’ it was quite the reverse,” Theroux said.
“The feeling was like, ‘You bastards! Now I have to go and score again because you just ruined my high.’

230d108ff2b62faf24caf0e62dd19b48

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...n/news-story/32fd9d949526913a7251508806548fad

Haha that guy looks rather quizzical :)

I’ll have to check this out. I watched another film, I think called Heroin[e] or something, on Netflix that was about this town iirc.

Haha that guy looks rather quizzical :)

I’ll have to check this out. I watched another film, I think called Heroin[e] or something, on Netflix that was about this town iirc.

Louis Theroux is incredible. The documentary was a very good watch; if you like it you should check out some of his other documentaries.

And he certainly is very quizzical. That's pretty much his thing; this kind of inquisitive, cheeky and yet ridiculously polite way of interacting with people.

Filmmaker Louis Theroux warns codeine restrictions could spark heroin epidemic

British documentary filmmaker Louis Theroux has issued a warning Australia may fall prey to the next opioid epidemic, ahead of the release of his latest film documenting a US community ravaged by addiction.

Theroux, whose documentary Heroin Town debuts in Australian cinemas on November 17, warned that a crackdown on painkillers containing codeine may have the unintended consequences of driving users to use heroin.

“Everyone in America now knows…that Big Pharma caused rampant addiction and that once they clamped down on it (these painkillers) the people involved migrated to heroin, but even with that knowledge it doesn't become totally clear what the best way forward is,” he told AAP.

Heroin Town, which part of a three-part documentary series, explores the impact the opioid epidemic – largely created by doctors unintentionally fuelling addiction to prescription drugs – has had upon the city of Huntington in West Virginia.

Drugs containing codeine – a moderately strong opiate – are set to become prescription-only in Australia from next year, according to a decision outlined by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

Cont -

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...eine-restrictions-could-spark-heroin-epidemic

Louis Theroux is incredible. The documentary was a very good watch; if you like it you should check out some of his other documentaries.

And he certainly is very quizzical. That's pretty much his thing; this kind of inquisitive, cheeky and yet ridiculously polite way of interacting with people.

i wouldn't call him polite

he's really fucking rude. he's the original troll documentary. if there is anything to take the piss about he will launch at it

thats why its so juice