• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Naloxone ban at music festival could cost lives

thujone

Bluelight Crew
WayHome Music & Arts is a weekend-long music bash happening the last week of July at a campground north of Toronto. The festival's website does not explicitly state that no naloxone kits will be allowed, but when Maegan Mason asked if she could bring hers, she was told no.

Mason, who is trained in first aid and administering naloxone, said the festival didn't fully explain why, by disallowing naloxone, it's lumping the antidote in with what it classifies as "drug paraphernalia."

An email from organizers to Mason said their medical team was "well aware" of naloxone, but attendees are forbidden to bring it onto event grounds.

"I was a little bit surprised. This is life-saving medication," Mason said.

WayHome organizers refused to respond to questions from CBC News about their policy on naloxone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/naloxone-ban-summer-festival-wayhome-fentanyl-1.4210293

Nicely done, Ms. Mason, would be nice if WayHome reconsidered their stance

Absolutely atrocious. My god, even the festival's medical team has the balls to essentially say "we know what naloxone does, and we still want it banned from the festival, even if it means people die".

This is why I stopped going to big music festivals. They don't give 2 fucks about you or your safety, they just want your sweet sweet dollary-doos.

As the world brgins to take every step possible step to abaid an excuse the death of young or old strugglin addicts it just shows more we will always be a minority and never a priority, just criminals.

All bs just to get more possession arrests and generate more money into a slavery esc prison system.

People are putting fent in everything. Isn't it our governments job to protect and serve?

I don't see how this is legal isn't naloxone completely legal drug. It's like saying no Tylenol allowed

WayHome backs down from naloxone ban
Elise von Scheel
CBC
July 25th, 2017

An Ontario music festival has reversed a policy that would have banned attendees from bringing their own injectable naloxone kits to events.

Organizers for the WayHome Music and Arts Festival, taking place this weekend near Barrie, Ont., say they changed their policy after hearing concerns from those who planned to attend.

Patrons will now be able to trade syringes of the opioid overdose antidote for a nasal spray that has the same effect.

WayHome's previous policy didn't allow attendees to bring their own naloxone kits at all. Instead, organizers said medical staff on site would be the only people carrying the antidote.

Ottawa resident Maegan Mason was the first person to publicly sound the alarm bell over WayHome's initial ban. When she heard the ban had been altered, she was shocked.

Read the full story here.

Fantastic!

Good outcome.
But i wish authorities were more pragmatic in cases like this. I hate being treated like a potential criminal for attending events (be they festivals or in clubs etc).

This is why I stopped going to big music festivals. They don't give 2 fucks about you or your safety, they just want your sweet sweet dollary-doos.

900 dollarydoos to be exact. Not a ton of ppl using opis at festivals for the most part but with all the weird concoctions out there they have to have narcan on hand.

Even as a non-opiate user, I would never attend this festival if this is one of their rules because of my outrage about this policy. I simply cannot support an organization that has rules that is against the saving of lives. Naloxone saves millions of lives, and by banning it, there's a very real chance that in such a large group of people (at a festival nonetheless) someone will need it and not have access to it. In the town I lived in before, the freaking cops carried naloxone in case they encountered someone overdosing. The idea of any medical team not carrying it, especially at a festival just makes no sense, like a hospital without a defibrilator..... and to keep people from carrying their own naloxone, this is completely atrocious.

Good news!

WayHome festival revises policy, allows attendees to bring naloxone
An Ontario music festival has reversed a policy that would have banned attendees from bringing their own injectable naloxone kits, saying patrons will be able to trade syringes of the opioid overdose antidote for a nasal spray that has the same effect.

The WayHome Music and Arts Festival, taking place near Barrie, Ont., this weekend, says it changed its policy after hearing concerns from those who planned to attend.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-attendees-to-bring-naloxone/article35791782/