• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Losing sense of taste from years of opiate use?

noone1

Bluelighter
Is this is a thing? I find my sense of taste going away, I can barely taste things. Everything I read says sinusitis related to loss of smell but my sense of smell has actually increased, smells bother me like crazy. I also get really painful migraines the kind where I have to shut off all the lights not often but at least once or twice a month. I'm really stepping up on the drug use lately mixing opiates daily with alcohol.

These symptoms are especially exacerbated with withdrawal. Is this normal or maybe my drug use is covering some medical symptom up?

I lose a lot of my sense of taste and smell when on opiates, I think it's common. You should settle down with the booze an opes, not good for the liver

Yup, loss of taste and smell are common. Hell your entire body is just being numbed basically.

But you said you have increased sense of smell, which is also common, oddly. Even when on opiods any storng smell would make me cough or wanna puke.

If I in withdrawal, oh god, everything becomes unbearable to smell. I have to hold my breath and try to hold back the insane coughing and possibly puking.

Opiates/opiods are the strongest cough medicine, EXTREMELY strong. So they really mess with your cough, gag reflux, and sinuses.

Is this normal or maybe my drug use is covering some medical symptom up?

or perhapsss your drug use is the medical issue here?
either way, if your losing you're losing your sense of taste that's a red flag to get help