• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I want to want to quit codeine as I'm only 20. Help to stay clean. intense cravings.

Elvis'LittleHelper

Greenlighter
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Hi there I started taking codeine when I was 15. I'm now 20 and since I was 18 and passed my driving test I've been taking N+ 32 a day, sometimes 64. [/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I've gone thru lots of withdrawals but usually after another 2-3 weeks, I've given in. The ibuprofen caused my stomach to blow apart in Dec and less than a month since the operation I was back on it and still am. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Now I'd guess most people relapse during the physical withdrawal phase - but I have never. Once I've stopped (I've never stopped on my own accord,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Always because my family has found out) and I'm going thru terrible wd's I don't find I have any craving! Its like I feel so bad so I'm gonna get it done with![/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Then about a two weeks after the day I stopped ( 1 week after physical wd's) I get really strong cravings. My mind tries to work out ways to do it, reasons to do it, I glamorise my past use, look back on it as a good, happy time - even though it wasn't.. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I'm not depressed, foggy, anxious at all after I stop taking codeine. I get a bit self obsessed with appearance. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]If I tell myself 'no!' I feel extremely disappointed; I try and distract myself but it keeps popping in my mind over and over again I get a nervous feeling and because of all this constant 'nagging' I usually give in. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Since I was 18 I've not been clean for even a month long. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I know you've got to want to quit but even though this drug has made my life terrible recently I still want to get high. But, I want to want to quit. I wish I'd never done or tasted it. In summary, I find physical wd bearable, during the psychological wd phase I'm not depressed, anxious, fatigued...just 'thirsty' for it. Really strong cravings. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Any tips would be helpful as I'm about to taper off. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]I'm getting a psychological assessment next week. I'm starting running again too. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Also was thinking I might change job. Currently I work with my family's window cleaning business and have some customers of my own too. Ive used codeine to get my threw long boring days and it makes work much more enjoyable, obviously. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]When I'm clean, cleaning windows sober is awful and having so much thinking time isn't good either. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]If maybe I got a job that, first of all, I've never done under the influence of codeine and also is more mentalling taxing, the cravings might not be so strong and I might not have as much time to think about taking codeine? Of course the underlying reason I take drugs still would have to be addressed and something I seriously work on. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Please let me know how you guys think. Any replies and ideas shared would be great. Any experience of your own too would be welcome. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Elvis[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SFUIText]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Google cold water extractions and starting doing them.

You can't die from codeine, but you very easily can from those doses of ibuprofen your taking with the pills, as you know from suffering a severe stomach issue that required surgery. I imagine your stomachs is very fragile now so if you keep it up you will probably end up dead sooner then later. Cold water extraction.

As far as staying off of codeine. You have to either find activities you enjoy doing to do once sober that occupy your time and mental energy. Go and hang out with your friends.

You can try things like NA meetings to see if that works for you, so you can see how many other people are struggling along side you to stay sober.

You can consider talking to a therapist to see if that helps.

you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to start doing cold water extractions!!!!

nurofen plus are really hard to do CWE's with and take ages; use a different product with codeine that makes it easier.

you obviously need some form of counselling and need to make big changes in your life as simply abstaining hardly ever works. try NA, it works for a lot of people.

you sound like you may be a good candidate for subutex therapy for the time being. you'll only need a low dose and it'll help you with cravings and get some stability in your life while you work out what you need to do to stay clean. please consider this, it's free in the UK and very easy to get onto.

reach out and get help!! im rooting for you man, taking grams of ibuprofen every day is very very dangerous!!!!!! i've certainly heard of people dying from it, nd its a long, slow, painful death.

Hi hon :)

Others have warned you and recommended cold water extraction; this is excellent harm reduction advice.

As far as being able to stay off:

I find often the impulse to use is really just pent up anxiety. I find actually TAKING ACTION & doing something productive that makes me anxious is best. The things you want to accomplish but never do, DO THOSE THINGS when you are craving. You will feel PROUD of yourself, and each time you accomplish something, you are building a new life for yourself. What are some of your dreams, goals?

Something I ask myself:

"Can you do better? Then do it."

Be well and best of luck to you. I'm happy you want to stop now before things get worse.

Be well. Peace. Xo

Hi everyone. The action I need to take is 1, some form or medication for cravings, Subutex like you mentioned. And 2, some form of counselling which I've got an assessment appointment for.

I guess I should ask my doctor for something like subutex because I'm still takinf N+ at the moment.

I've decided to take up running again too.

With regards my future goals, since I've been on pills since I started work and became an 'adult' I'm not really sure.

I'd like maybe a more interesting job, I'd love to join the police but maybe with my medical records full of addiction it's a no go!

Anyway please let me know best way to access subutex therapy as it's something I know nothing about. I live in Scotland, if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Last edited:
You still didn't acknowledge the cold water extraction. You NEED to do this otherwise you will destroy your body very fast, this is our primary concern before you get clean. This site is about harm reduction and if you take nothing else away from this thread at least do CWE.

Hi okay Someone has recommended using aspirin and codeine for cwe. The reason I've never done it is that I've gotten poor results & often I'm out and about and therefore continued with N+

Questions re cwe:

Do you have to cool down the water/codeine mixture to filter out aspirin/paracetamol? As I share a fried freezer with family it's awkward for me to work around!

Is kitchen roll best or should I buy coffee filters?

Best way to CWE:

-Crush your pills
-Place in glass
-Cover powder with ice cold water, just enough to cover the powder to make a liquid not a sludge
- mix it vigorously
-place 2 pre moistened coffee filters over the mouth of another glass/jar
-filter solution
-discard filter and drink liquid

If you explained your situation to your doctor, and told him how the ibuprofen was doing u harm would he prescribe you tablets with only codeine? I mean he should see that u will buy them regardless and may hurt yourself doing so

Okay. Now someone recommend boots aspirin and codeine - is that easier to cwe or should I buy generic co codamol

Also wet your filter with tap water befor use so ur not using codeine water for lubrication

In my opinion acetylsalicylic acid or aspirin might not be effective for cwe due to the carboxylic acid group. I believe codeine phosphate when disolved in water dissociates in codeine and phosphate and codeine is able to act as a base and potentially interact with acetylsalicylic acid forming codeine acetylsalicylate.

I never have done this but im interested in chemistry and typically id do something like extract at very high temp and then cool in a freezer to seperate.

The solubility of apap is temperature dependent however at this point i believe your risking death so any reduction is a improvement.

Sorry for the double post, can't edit on my phone

Check out N-acetylcysteine or Glutathione and maybe milk thistle

Seconding milk thistle. Do a quick Google search. It's actually one of very few more natural things that is actually given credit and used in standard medical practice, to reverse damage and in particular with one type of toxin, I think a mushroom if I recall right.

Milk thistle may have an impact on other medications you take, if any. Go to a drug interactions checker, call the pharmacy, task to your doctor etc. In some cases you need not AVOID milk thistle, but you may need to dose it hours apart from other meds to prevent the troubles. The troubles. mainly being that it's such an excellent detox for the liver that it can render some meds useless or less effective. Cannot recall at this moment if it intensified any but a search will inform you on that.

Your other post I think at least partially in response to my other post.... I would encourage you to think about your goals. Even if, for example, you cannot think of a specific job you want (i heard you about law enforcement but as you said a record may prevent that), then consider your strengths and weaknesses, desires, money you'd wanttolive as you'd like to etc, y physical and intellectual capabilities and limits etc. SStart there. SAnd do something creative whether draw, write, guitar etc. Great stress relief, expression, and keeps you busy.

Perhaps take the meyers Briggs personality test. Take it several tunes over a period of months. You won't necessarily fall nearly into one type perfectly, it's all degrees.

It may give you some insight into the kinds of things that your type of personality struggles with and therefore insight in what to do. May also help you think of jobs, goals, etc. I think a site called 16personalities our something similar has the test. I found my type makes up a whopping 4% of the population which explains much lol.

Best of luck :) Peace.

Elvis'LittleHelper said:
I've been taking N+ 32 a day, sometimes 64

32-64 Nurofen Plus pills at a time?! That's 6.4-12.8g! I don't know what the formula of N+ pills sold in Scotland is, but in Poland there was a time (long long time ago, like 10 years ago or more) when N+ pills could be fairly easily split into two parts with one part containing codeine salt and the other one containing ibuprofen, but that changed. Are you really not separating ibuprofen from codeine in any way?

d1nach said:
In my opinion acetylsalicylic acid or aspirin might not be effective for cwe due to the carboxylic acid group. I believe codeine phosphate when disolved in water dissociates in codeine and phosphate and codeine is able to act as a base and potentially interact with acetylsalicylic acid forming codeine acetylsalicylate.

Aspirin is very poorly soluble in water, the presence of carboxylic group does not automatically make a compound soluble in water, even benzoic acid is only sparingly soluble in water at low temperature. So doing a CWE on codeine/aspirin pills is definitely feasible and a much much better idea than taking massive amounts of ibuprofen. If you use minimum volume of water and cool it down, you'll get less than 100mg of aspirin in a dose. That's a huge harm reduction vs. taking ten times the maximum daily dose of ibuprofen at once. Losing some codeine during the process is not a problem compared to excessive ibuprofen doses. Back in the days when I was hooked on codeine, I remember I could get 200mg of codeine from 20mg/300mg paracetamol pills into 20-25ml, with 15mg/500mg paracetamol pills the amount was more like 40ml due to more bulk. Pills with codeine and aspirin can't be much bigger than those. Also, why can't you do a CWE on N+ pills? I suppose they might be very hard pills to crush, but I would still take my time to try to ground them to a fine powder rather than poison myself.

Sorry for mentioning the brand of pills but in this particular case it is crucial to make OP reduce harm done as quickly as possible and the problem seems to pertain to this particular brand of pills.

ABetterWay said:
I found my type makes up a whopping 4% of the population which explains much lol.

Same here. I can't stand doing repetitive tasks for extended periods of time, it bores me to death and I become completely unproductive. That's why I got into organic chemistry, I realize it's boring for the majority of population but in my case it fits my needs of diversity in work perfectly, though I still have boring repetitive tasks like taking melting points or preparing samples for analysis. Anyway, there are certainly many different jobs in which every day you face different problems, may be hard to find right away though.

Last edited:
INFP-a here, that's what I most often get. Yourself, adder? Organic chemistry sounds fascinating! [/derailing] lol

Edited to add, yes on the boring repetitive crap lol. I was assigned programming once...kill me lol. It was so damn boring to me. If I hadn't been so bored I'm sure I'd have been way better set out as I'm actually quite detail oriented in many circumstances. I mean, I understood out, I got the concept and wasnt exactly confused. But oh my goodness, it bored me out of my skull to the point of agony. Lol

Last edited:
INFP-a here, that's what I most often get. Yourself, adder? Organic chemistry sounds fascinating! [/derailing] lol

Also check out the Enneagram...Similiar to MBTI. There has been much research put into it and it is really insightful. I couldn't believe how close it was describing my type and its motivations when I first took the test.

For the test: The forced choice is interesting....
http://https://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test.php

https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-descriptions

Type Descriptions^

My CWE experience is as follows. Codeine (or Dihydrocodeine) in compound with Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is much easier to do CWE with. Compounds with Ibuprophen seem to form a much gooier solution which is hard to filter - almost always end up with a cloudy liquid after filtering which worries me. You have to be very careful reading the label with Ipbuprophen as some medicines are made with Ibuprophen Lysine (rather than Ibuprophen) and Ibuprophen Lysine is far more soluble than Ibuprophen so the CWE will not remove all of the Ibuprophen Lysine (which will still do your stomach in). I start by making a solution with blood temperature water before cooling it to below 10 degrees C and then filtering it. CWE can be very effective. You could always try putting your solutions in a metal container before freezing so it isn't so obvious what they are - you should only be using small volumes of liquid (around 50ml) so a very small discrete container (e.g. a cigar tube) should be fine.