• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Low Dose Xannax Advice: Anxiety control in University level clases

RamblinWreck

Greenlighter
Benzos) Xannax advice
Will taking low doses( .2-.5 mg) before class to control my anxiety inhibit my ability to learn and remember information in these classes? These doses have been really helping me out but I take rigorous engineering courses in college and I don't want to really start using xannax at even a low dose if it will noticeably affect my memory/information retention. Also, could it affect my focus/boredom at all?

This is a tough one. I never had an issue with using drugs in college or in class, but to be fair, most of what I was studying was History, Language, Politics. They're all topics that are open to some level of debate. Mathematics leaves no room for any kind of error or mistake or everything goes to shit. You're right to be concernced about learning complex information while under the influence of Benzodiazepines. How has it gone for you so far? You've been taking .25mg - .5mg?

This is up to personal chemistry, so it's going to be trial and error for you. I would reserve using them for the more stressful situations such as testing and whatnot, as benzos are known to contribute to short term amnesia. It's not a high dose we're talking about, but still.

I was on benzos everyday for 12 years. While I didn't feel it affected my coursework (health sciences), I look back now that I'm off of the daily routine (I still take 0.5-1mg Xanax as needed- occasionally during class) and I'm astounded by my memory deficit. I got through fine at the time with an extremely high GPA, but the thought of someone now asking me about something I excelled at and should know scares me immensely. It's not as though I learned the material 10 years ago, however the memory is just not there.

Overall though, low dose Xanax is probably a good choice, because it doesn't last all day, however, it hits harder. If your anxiety is that bad, you likely won't learn in that (anxiety ridden) situation either. Do yourself a favor and learn how to be discriminative in terms of taking it when you absolutely need it.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would take .5 or 1 mg and see if you can study. If 1 mg is too much, at least you would have done it by yourself then instead of class where you could have gotten caught. For me 1 mg of Xanax or .5 klonopin in class calms my anxiety and doesn't totally fog up my brain. Good luck

Edit: and talk to your doc mate. He can give you something that won't affect your memory or intelligence and still calm down your anxiety. A beta blocker or something. The more benzos you take the more likely you are to be addicted