• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is there a risk of precipitated withdrawal switching from kratom to subs?

browniejfam

Greenlighter
If I was to switch from dope to kratom for 2 days then wait a few hours til the kratom wears off would I be safe taking subs? Since it's not a regular opioid would it cause PW's? Anyone have experience with this?

Is there any reason why your switching from kratom to subs? You might be better off just slowly tapering the kratom

I only have 1 sub, so I'd only take like 0.5mg for a few days then quit. I was planning on just using kratom, but maybe a quick sub detox would work good to get off the dope.

I am curious about this as I use kratom daily for pain and was recently told there's a chance I'd be started on subs for pain.

aspiringchemist, you're getting put on subs for pain? Honestly, subs can be a real bitch to get off of. I wouldn't suggest staying on them for too long. Why don't you stick to kratom? Also, have you ever tried cannabis oil (rick simpson oil)? THC with CBD can be wonderful for pain.

this is just my opinion/experieience but i woud say don't get on subs for pain. first of all, kratom is a much better painkiller than subs. subs suck for pain.

here is my experience with trying to use sub for pain. it works the first couple days, then your receptors fill up and it stops working. the only way it grants any pain relief (in my experience) is if you use small doses and wait 12 hrs between doses and even then it only gives you a little pain relief right after you dose and if you try to take more it means youll have to wait 18 hrs before you can get anything from your next dose. plus there is no muscle relaxation with sub so it doesnt help with muscle pain.

now imagine you find yourself in severe pain. you have to wait 12-18 hrs before you can take anything for it and even if you have other opioids on hand sub blocks them, so youre stuck using sub and only sub.

and it sucks being on sub. it blocks your emotions and makes life dull and doesnt have much recreational effect when used daily. kratom is far better. with kratom, if yoiure in severe pain you can take more kratom again in 3 or 4 hrs and it wil still work. also kratom doesnt block other substances so you can take kratom plus occasionally poppy seed tea or oxys or even sub meaning you save your sub for a really bad day but use kratom the rest of the time. the sub will work then cuz your tolerance will be low.

but yeah, sub for pain is stupid so many better options. there are also other herbs you can use along with kratom for pain like kava and akuamma seed. imo sub is useful for kicking dope or as a substitute for better opioids and thats about it.

I don't want to hijack this thread.
I have used Cannabis for years. actually on day 2 cold turkey. trying to make some changes.
one pain doc offered bupenorphine. I have an appt with a pain doc in a very large hospital out of the area approaching and I would like to pee clean so I can maybe get some help.
I have a lot of documented problems and no one will prescribe due to my Hx.
feel free to IM if wanted:)

I've been trying to get help for years and am finally sort of being listened to. I'm tired of eating an ounce of powder a day and not remembering anything cuz I'm stoned constantly. Just not how I want to live anymore. I'm in the land of green and RSO flows freely, up to my ears in it.
I'd rather have my doctors give me my medicine and move on.

is bupe any different than subs when it comes to pain mgmt?

I know about its pharmacology and know that other opioids are far preferable, but I can't seem to get a doc that will listen.

Last edited:
Basically, I was addicted heroin/cocaine/crack/methamphetamine/Rx opioids/benzodiazepines and alcohol for about 5 years. That was a decade ago. A lot has changed but the climate around pain mgmt is so inhumane right now that I cannot seem to get long term help. I've been jumping from GP to GP for years because they always eventually stop offering to prescribe and treat me as if I'm a junkie.
I am now very professional, employed and have a great life. I do not abuse substances. I'm in a lot of pain and cannot get help due to my Hx.
Therfore I've decided to leave MJ and RSO behind so I can pee clean in one last attempt to be treated appropriately.
I would much prefer MS contin or hell, even codeine but all that's on the table now is subs. I've seriously considered moving to Canada for the sole fact that codeine preparations are OTC. That's how tired of this I am.
Not to mention the DEA is doing everything in their power to outlaw kratom so who knows how long it will be around...

kava kava scares me as I don't like to play with maoi inhibitors and never have. it sounds highly intriguing but I fear it may not mesh so well with some of my other medications.
PST is always hit and miss for me. One day I almost OD'd for real and the next I had 0 effects. It is far to unreliable to use as a staple medication.

having subs and utilizing kratom mainly would be great, as you stated I could then use subs as needed and continue with kratom.
so much for not hijacking... sorry OP
sounds like you'll be good taking the sub after kratom wears off though.

Last edited:
All good man! Don't worry about it at all. I love reading everyone's stories. I truly hope the best for you. You should definitely buy as much kratom as possible right now to save up before it is banned. Check out the subreddit for kratom. They have a lot of good info for vendors with good quality and cheap prices. So, a doctor is telling you that he will give you subs for pain? I thought that in the US subs were only given for addiction treatment, but I'm not too sure. I've heard of bupe patches that use microgram doses.

sitting on a few k's, good to go there. been going through one awesome vendor for a long time.
Yes, that is correct. It is a weird grey area as far as I can tell. I know for a fact bupe is used in pain clinics a lot around here, and is becoming the new trend for pain mgmt. I actually saw a TV commercial the other day advertising sublingual bupe for chronic pain.
You are correct though, in that it's main use is addiction maintenance.
I'm a believer in long term maintenance if desired and improves quality of life.