• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants A few questions about mixing bupropion and stimulants.

CousinCocaine

Bluelighter
I've used the forum search engine and also searched other sites for information about combining bupropion (Wellbutrin) with stimulants (specifically amphetamines). There is quite a bit of information out there on the subject but it is very confusing because nobody really seems to agree. I've read from some sources that mixing bupropion and amphetamines completely nullifies the effects of the amphetamine, some say it doesn't do anything, some claim they have a synergistic effect and others say if you take them at the same time or you take the bupropion before the amphetamine it'll cancel it out but if you wait a few hours after taking the amphetamines it will make the high last longer.

So my question is which is correct? Does this just go for regular amphetamines or does it react with other stimulants differently? If you know can you please explain why they react this way. I was mainly looking for scientific explanations but I would also welcome any personal experiences.

Also is this combination dangerous? I have taken the two together before without a problem but only at the low doses I was prescribed (no difference in effects at those doses). I took 4 15mg dextroamphetamine spansules approximately 1 and a half hours ago and was thinking about taking 1 Wellbutrin 150mg XL pill and testing the combo myself but wanted to make sure it was safe. I have a decent tolerance to Dexedrine but haven't taken bupropion for 4+ months.

Bupropion may inhibit the enzyme p450 cyp 2d6 altering the pharmokinetics of dextroamphetamine. Which, may lower the amount of dextroamphetamine needed to overdose. Also, bupropion belongs to a class very similar to amphetamines called substituted cathiones. Cathiones vary in potency from mephedrone and methcathinone where they rival the potency of amphetamines to bupropion which are much weaker but still increase norepinephrine. Possibly increasing the hypertension and rapid heart rate of amphetamines.

Bupropion may inhibit the enzyme p450 cyp 2d6 altering the pharmokinetics of dextroamphetamine. Which, may lower the amount of dextroamphetamine needed to overdose. Also, bupropion belongs to a class very similar to amphetamines called substituted cathiones. Cathiones vary in potency from mephedrone and methcathinone where they rival the potency of amphetamines to bupropion which are much weaker but still increase norepinephrine. Possibly increasing the hypertension and rapid heart rate of amphetamines.

Thank you for the response, it was really informative. I know it's a substituted cathinone but isn't it also a dopamine reuptake inhibitor? When you mentioned the cardiovascular dangers of the combination it also reminded me of the significantly increased seizure risk associated with both substances and thought it would be good for the sake of harm reduction to add, so anyone with epilepsy or history of seizures would be extra careful to avoid this combination.

Also speaking of it being a substituted cathione remided me of how I heard of that when I was younger (and much dumber). Which made me think it would be fun to try and get high on so I started snorting it. Believe it or not it was EXTREMELY addictive even though it burnt so bad and I've snorted all kinds of shit coke, amphetamines, Ambien and tramadol just to name a few. My eyes would be so full of water I'd be almost completely blind for a few minutes. At one point my tolerance got so high I'd have to snort so much at once I'd feel like I was going to suffocate, I never had a seizure from it which at the doses I used was nothing short of a miracle, but I did "OD" (after this I knew I had to quit) it caused my heart to race, when I'd lay down and close my eyes in my room I would kinda go out of body a few seconds and be standing in my yard and I spent almost an hour puking up blood but refused to call an ambulance. The "high" from doing this was extremely inconsistent and at the same doses it could be as mild as drinking a big cup of coffee or full blown euphoria almost identical to coke. I know it was kinda off topic but I thought it was worth it to tell a cautionary tale and maybe prevent a few people from making the same mistake I did.

Substituted cathione refers to its chemical structure

Dopamine reuptake inhibitor is a chemical mechanism of action.

More specifically it is only a weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor measured by its ability to occupy the dopamine transporter.

It's a much more of a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Also you might be interested in knowing it interacts with nicotinic acetylcholine receptors as a antagonist.

I'm glad your OK I've done some really dumb things to as a minor. Its hard to conceptualize your not invincible till your in ICU.

I knew that it was sometimes used to help people stop smoking but I had no idea what receptors it affected. I Guess that's why I'd feel so strange when I'd smoke when I was taking it, I just assumed it was because I'm not a regular smoker and never really have a tolerance to nicotine. Now that I stopped taking it I can smoke an entire cigar as fast as I want and not have anywhere near the affect. I don't know that much about it yet but I just find pharmacology fascinating and one of the main reasons I joined was to learn more.

I used to inhale entire cigars. Extremely bad for your lungs. Plus I would reek of smoke. Have you tried nicotine gum the 4 mg ones I found strong like a entire minicigar or a few over a while like a full cigar without the sounding like my lungs where gunna cough up and out of my mouth

Combining bupropion and stimulants may lower your seizure threshold

I think the same goes for combining it with alcohol, if I'm not mistaken. I've heard/read that bupropion and alcohol can produce some interesting effects when combined but the combination is considered dangerous for one reason or another, pretty sure it's because of the increased risk of seizures.

By the way I did not take the Bupropion tonight. It seems to be a pretty nasty substance, so I'll probably just flush what I have left down the toilet, because I'm not really addicted to nicotine and I don't need it as an antidepressant anymore. I've pretty much came to the conclusion the recreational value of it alone (which isn't much) is far outweighed by its dangers and negative side effects and even if it possibly can make other drugs more potent it's way too risky. Basically it's only good for what it's made for and even if you do follow your doctor's instructions on it, it's still kinda risky.

I used to inhale entire cigars. Extremely bad for your lungs. Plus I would reek of smoke. Have you tried nicotine gum the 4 mg ones I found strong like a entire minicigar or a few over a while like a full cigar without the sounding like my lungs where gunna cough up and out of my mouth

I actually don't think it's the nicotine that I get hooked on its kinda just the feeling of smoking. I stopped inhaling my cigars but I still need to cut back some more. I smoke cigars when it's a really nice day and I sip on some whiskey and just enjoy life but I smoke cigarettes when I'm anxious/stressed, but I haven't even finished the entire pack I bought back in December. One thing I started doing now when I'm craving to smoke is vape instead and instead of the e liquid with nicotine I actually get some with CBD, it's a lot more relaxing and actually non-addictive.

Im extremely dependent on Nicotine. I have a addictive personality. I never got how smoking itself not the drug could be reinforcing but my exgirlfriend says the same thing.

I think it just depends on the person, some just want the nicotine others just enjoy the act of smoking. I've been abusing Dexedrine more often than I should lately but ever since the times I got addicted to stuff during my young/crazy days I haven't really gotten addicted to anything (I know I would be an addict if I wasn't so strict about my use of opiates) but other than opiates I don't really worry about addiction. I can go on week or so long amphetamine binges then when they're over not even think about em until like a month or so later, I can also take temazepam 15mg and Klonopin .5-3mg every day for a few months then just quit for up to a week and lose some of my tolerance (by then the panic and insomnia I'm prescribed em for get unbearable) but during the time I'm not taking em I don't really crave em and the only physical effect I notice is my hands kinda shaking but that's pretty much it, I still keep em nearby just in case I start shaking really bad and/or get worried about a seizure but neither have ever happened.

Wellbutrin gave my little sister a seizure and scared the heck out of my baby cousins (well they where like 7 and 12) sis was like 15 nondrug user non-drinker nonsmoker and randomly started having a seizure and they didnt know what was going on. She went to ER and was fine just took some lamictal for a few months to be safe and went off the Wellbutrin. So I can only imagine what Supra therapeutic doses could do.

To be fair though my dad took Wellbutrin and it seemed to help him with the only side effect being sweating.

If you like the act of smoking though I'd vape I have a family member who was starting to wakeup coughing up a lungs switched to vape based overnight cough went away went back to smoking cough came back back to vaping went away. You can get a fancy vape even a hundred bucks so it feels more thick and full like smoke is cheaper then cancer.

I just happen to have taken a 150 bupropion/Wellbutrin today and five hours later took two separate doses of 20 mg IR Dexedrine. My first dose of Dexedrine was probably 12:30 pm. I defenately had a extra bit of pep today, which I attribute to the extra norepinephrine effect.

It is now 15 hours after the bupropion and 6 hours after my last 20 mg dose of IR Dexedrine. I am chill, but still mentally up.

Afa the seizure threshold and other complications that could potentially arise from this combination, IMO, you have to be in tune with your body and really know what's going on with your body.

If you EVER had a seizure or are going through any withdrawals, then I would never go near this combination.

Example, I take Diazepam/Valium daily. I have not had the least bit of over amped feeling or any seizure feelings at all. I also have not taken any Valium at all today. I do know better afa not making a habit out of this. It is not unheard of for a light weight combo like this to be perscribed, although rare.

Unless you are tuned in to your body very well, have rescue medication on hand or a doctor looking after you, I would not recommend this combination, due to possible complications.

Dangerous combination! Risk of seizures. Never take more bupropion to increase the high, save them for after use blues. No more than 450mg per day for 2 weeks that will help with protracted depression

Last edited:
Currently taking bupropion and concerta daily, and have mixed with dextroamp and methamp while taking it. Imo bupropion has no recreational value, unless seizures are your idea of recreation... stims have little effect on seizure threshold, the real danger lies in the bupropion, don't over do it. And bupropion hasn't made stims any better if anything made them worse imo...

Combining bupropion and stimulants may lower your seizure threshold

This is the reason why most doctors (the good ones that are few and far between) always prescribe Sodium Valproate, at least 300mg daily when you are taking Bupropion.

Personally I'd advise against bupropion altogether, it has the most sinister effect profile of functional stimulants I've used, and combining it with anything has felt toxic and in some cases immediately dangerous.

Currently taking bupropion and concerta daily, and have mixed with dextroamp and methamp while taking it. Imo bupropion has no recreational value, unless seizures are your idea of recreation... stims have little effect on seizure threshold, the real danger lies in the bupropion, don't over do it. And bupropion hasn't made stims any better if anything made them worse imo...

Coke and MDMA have been associated with seizures, tread with caution when combining stimulants of any kind.

This is the reason why most doctors (the good ones that are few and far between) always prescribe Sodium Valproate, at least 300mg daily when you are taking Bupropion.
lol, what now? VPA has serious side effects and definitely not most, and if any, good doctor prescribes VPA with wellbutrin automatically. A quick stat can help you i.e. how wellbutrin is one of the most prescribed medicine in the US while VPA is.... where again? In any case, if you've been depressed and have been on antidepressants, you'd be sufficiently scared of combining them with anything else that increases suicidal thoughts - which is much deadlier than slight change in seizure threshold.

Going back to the OP's questions (and for posterity), coming from someone who has been on wellbutrin for majority of the past 12 years:
  • Wellbutrin has little, if any, recreational use. Going on it for depression, I feel a bit manic-euphoric for a few days. While this is somewhat common, it is still not the majority experience, and it is not nearly comparable to even small dose (e.g. 2-3 mgs) of amphetamine.
  • It is a damn good anti-depressant. Starts working very fast and has a much better side effect profile compared to most antidepressants. Seizure is the most serious unique risk, and any inclination for seizures would contra-indicate wellbutrin. That said, I personally haven't had any issues, despite with heavy alcohol and other drug use.
  • Wellbutrin doesn't combine well with stimulants, typically exacerbating NE related side effects (e.g. heart rate, bp, sweating, jaw clenching) - probably due to both its effect on NE reuptake, but also slowing down the metabolism of the stims. This is not a show stopper, but avoid if you can. If you can't avoid, decrease the stim dose, try to bring your use earlier in the day, start at low dose to discover the combined effects and try to have benzos handy, just in case
    • On a related note and pure speculation, it would probably slightly improve the experience with pure serotonin releasers (e.g. MDAI, 3-FEA), adding some of the sorely missed stimulation. If you're not on wellbutrin, don't take it to combine with HT releasers - 2 cups of coffee would probably serve you better than wellbutrin.
  • Wellbutrin's effect on hallucinogens has been minimal, perhaps a little negative. I've contemplated if I feel a bit more lucid tripping while on wellbutrin. Similarly with weed.
  • I try to ramp down wellbutrin before serious drug use, e.g. skip that day's dose, ramp down a day or two earlier if you have lower dose pills (e.g. 300 mg -> 150 mg for 2 days -> skip the day of) NB: don't break your XR pills to achieve half dose.
  • If you enjoy your cigarettes and don't intend to quit, don't take wellbutrin. I'd say it is generally a good effect, but be warned that it kills most/all of the pleasure of smoking e.g. I've had several experiences of reaching for a cigarette at a stressful moment, only to find that it just sucks so much that I would put it out after a few puffs.