• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Yay! Bottled water to drop in price at all clubs!

shal

Bluelighter
I'm watching nine news and the Government has enforced a new policy that all clubs must now make all bottled water lower in price then there cheapest alcoholic drink.

I guess we might see entry prices go up instead!

Clubs who do not comply with the new policy may be forced to close down.

Interesting!!! Wonder what will happen!

It's the law now :)

So if your getting water for $5, question them ;)

Hehehe

Shal..

Isn't this new law already meant to be in place ? i read something in the paper a couple of months ago i think , about how clubs are meant to have cheaper bottled water.
I know for a fact that * nightclub in sydney haven't changed their price for bottled water, it's still 5 dollars a bottle, and i doubt that some clubs in sydney anyway wil have cheaper water.

[Edit: Venue details removed in line with Guidelines. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY! About time is all i can say! $45 on water on a night out was just gettin ridiculous!

I thought the cheapest alcoholic drink (In Victoria anyway) is usually $6 anyway? Or at least around $5 anyway so you probably won't be seeing much of a drop of water prices, maybe an increase of alcoholic drink prices???

Awwww

Thats true - Bottled water should be $1 :)

Heeheee

Shal!

I guess i'm a minority but, i'm happy to pay $5 a bottle for water. Compared to the local store prices for a bottle of water, sure $5 is rather steep, but its important to consider that clubs have fairly hefty overheads to contend with and they have to make their establishments econmomically viable. Especially when you look at clubs where there is a large proportion of the clients using drugs, the fact that these patrons are using drugs puts a dent into their alcohol sales and profits. Looking at it from the club's point of view, their only really income from these patrons is the cover charge and a bottle of water. Granted some clubbers buy multiple bottles of water, but most people i see will simply refill their bottles in toilets. Compare this profit margin to that of someone who is buying alcoholic beverages and it has to be said that the pill consuming clubber is getting the better end of the bargain.

Ok, so you're probably paying $3 more for a bottle of water than you really should. In the grand scheme of things a $3 overpriced bottle of water really isn't going to break the bank. Moreover, if inflated pricing irks you that much, by law the establishment must provide free running water, so you have every right to hassle the bar for a free glass of tap water.

However, i don't see what the problem is. Its a well accepted practice that bottles of water are usually about $5, its not as though clubs have sprung this price on us unknowningly, its been standard for quite some time... so in the same way that drinkers budget for their beverages, add the price of water to your clubbing budget. At the end of the day, its simple economics, if the club doesn't turnover enough profit to be viable it will close. Look at the price of drinks/ciggarettes/food, everything in bars and clubs are relatively overpriced... its an accepted fact.

I've heard of this law being bounced around for a few years now it seems but there is always some way club owners can charge double(or more) the store price for a bottle of water. If you really can't pay for the bottle of water just demand a glass of water at the bar. If the venue is licensed they have to provide you with water.

$5 for water (a basic need, which is crucial in conjunction with taking drugs) is ridiculous IMO.

Free water should be available but how many of us have had to pay for some "tap water".

Personally I just buy the one bottle and keep filling it up all night, it might sound tight, but I'd rather pay $5 a night on water than $50. :)

It would be great if you could buy one bottle of water and fill it up from the tap throughout the night, however some clubs stop people doing this by removing the cold water tab handles in the bathrooms, so you can only use the hot water, and no one wants to fill their bottles with hot water. So you end up having to buy another bottle of water.
It really anoys me when clubs do that!!!!! :X aggghhhh

I don't think I've ever bought more than one bottle of water a night because I always refill it at the toilets. The only time I've had to is when the glassy in the club has picked up my bottle when its almost empty (grrrrr).

If water was cheaper, like $2 for 600mL spring water (the blue one), I would probably buy several in one night but that would probably amount to the same profit they charge for one puny bottle for $5.

I suppose its the people not drinking alcohol which causes this as said above. Endless cycle if you ask me but water must be had. I suppose there might be some people that are too skimp to want to pay $5 for a cruicial bottle of water when dancing and end up not drinking anything but some dribbles out of the tap. This is dangerous but probably rare.

Hmmm...

they shouldn't eat the drugs if they can't afford the water...
all this means is the clubs will inflate another aspect of their service. perhaps we'll see the introduction of "6.00 pots" in a few months!

^ Exactly. If you like taking pills and you can't afford to pay for water, then trying pilling at home. IMO, it's a far better way too and cheaper.

what is really messed up is that those clubs buy those bottles of water in bulk for around 80cents a bottle... and thats the 600mL bottles. the pissweak 300mL bottles are quite less.

they then have the nerve to whack a nice $5 price tag on each bottle. granted, a lot of "rollers" wont waste their time drinking alcohol, so they need to generate some sort of revenue from these people, but $5 for water!!!

i think there definitely needs to be some policy that restricts bottled water to $2.50 per bottle max. no point dicking about with "water wont be charged more than the cheapest alcoholic beverage baloney..." because that just gives club owners an opportunity to move the goal posts.

Timmmmmy said:
they shouldn't eat the drugs if they can't afford the water...
I disagree. They can raise the money some other way: $5 extra on the door then sell cheap water inside.

If you want free or even cheaper water, go to the toilets, a nearby park or the 7/11 outside. That would also give you a break from dancing and let you cool down a bit.

why not have water bottles with the venues label on it selling for say $5, but offer free chilled refills into it from the bar? i dont mind paying $5 once off, but fucked if im going to keep paying for it. i normally take a bottle in anyway and fill it up elsewhere...

yer o hope they should, and i rekon all placves should give u glasses of water for free, and not charge been to one place and they say they only server you bottle water teh SK's!

I think the price will come down to a critical value. I for one, much prefer drinking the water straight from the bottle, as opposed to refilled tap water.. But at $5 a bottle, i simply can't afford to do this all night. If they dropped it to a lower yet still "relatively" high price, then i think it might work better. say, $3 a bottle.. I think that as soon as people stop paying with notes (easiest), then they'll start to appreciate the lowest prices.

I've been studying economics for 5 years now, pretty much solidly, so i can see where most of these posts have been coming from, and i think that a), free water is great for the dancer, but b) is economically unviable for the club.

What needs to be found is an economic equilibria, whereby the club lowers prices, yet receives higher sales. The dancer will not be able to get completly free water, yet the opportunity cost of buying at the reduced price, is greatly reduced.

I think the agreement on a price level is in the works for the govt Vs clubs/pubs.. but as all bureucracy (sp!), its going to take a long time to get set straight, a long time to take effect, and never be monitored :p
(cynical of govt policy? me? never!)

Ooohhh.... I know how clubs could get around this... Instead of selling plain water they may start to offer only cordial mixed drinks :) - and water from taps if u want it.. hehehe

But u still have to buy a $5 bottle of cordial to get the bottle to use for water :p

Heheheee

Shal..